The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver out despite being awarded a 2026 World Cup host spot

43 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

In unrelated World Cup news...........

Russian lawmaker warns against sex with foreigners during World Cup: 'If it's another race, it's worse'

The World Cup being hosted by Russia is fraught with controversy of all kinds.

One Russian lawmaker figured adding a little more on top on the eve of the action wouldn’t hurt.

Russian lawmaker says no to sex with World cup visitors

Tamara Pletnyova, head of the lower house of parliament’s Family, Women and Children Committee, warned Russians against having sex with foreign visitors during a radio appearance on Wednesday. More specifically, she warned Russian woman against getting pregnant by visitors, hearkening back to the 1980 Moscow Olympics. 

“There will be girls who meet men, and then they will give birth,” Pletnyova said via translation. “Maybe they will get married, maybe they won’t. But the kids will suffer, just like they suffered [after the Moscow Olympics].”

“It’s the children who suffer and have suffered since the Soviet era.” 

If you do have sex, don’t mix races

But Pletnyova wasn’t done with simply advising residents against trysts with visitors and the perils of being a single mother or a child born out of wedlock.

She clarified that if you’re going to have sex with a foreigner, just make sure that partner is white.

“If it’s another race, then it’s even worse,” Pletnyova said. “We should give birth to our own children.”

“I’m not a nationalist, but nonetheless,” she added. 

OK.

Russia has history of racism in soccer venues

This is not the first first incident intertwining racism and soccer in Russia.

FIFA fined the Russian Football Union $30,000 for fans directing racist monkey chants at French players during a pre-World Cup friendly in May.

Danny Rose, a black English soccer player, told the UK’s Evening Standard that he told his family to stay home during the World Cup out of concerns of racism.

“I’m not worried for myself,” Rose told Standard Sport. “But I’ve told my family I don’t want them going out there because of racism and anything else that may ­happen. I don’t want to be worrying when I’m trying to prepare for games for my family’s safety.

“My dad’s really upset. I could hear it in his voice. He said he may never get a chance again to come and watch me in a World Cup. That was emotional, hearing that. It’s really sad. It’s just how it is. Somehow Russia got the World Cup and we have to get on with it.”

European anti-racism watchdog FARE warned World Cup visitors on Tuesday to take precautions in a “difficult environment” amid repeated reports of racist behavior in Russian stadiums.

Russia has pledged to crack down on racism during the run-up to the World Cup.

Pletnyova apparently didn’t get that memo. 

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/russian-lawmaker-warns-sex-foreigners-world-cup-another-race-worse-000304087.html

:lol:

This reminds me of Sochi where they try hard to smear Russia and yet yhey pulled off according to athletes the best ever games logistically and socially, outdoing Vancouver. But that is more of a pattern than a knock on Vancouver.

Yahoo America should be more concerned about their institutionalized racism in America than trying to fix racism in Russian stadiums.

As far as one woman speaking on sex from a commitee for Family, Woman and Children is lost on many that believed Russians don't have freedom of speech. There are many Evangelicals, followers of Judaism who share the same view as her in America.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

right. People have short memories. 

You must be comparing the 2010 Olympics where we were the host city, housed all the events and athletes for a full 2 weeks. Meanwhile, you're suggesting hosting a handful of FIFA matches where the draw likely won't be good, is going to make a huge difference for the city? Other than the enjoyment of the events what other benefit would this city have at the expense of hundreds of millions of dollars paid to a corrupt organization? Vancouver is already established as a prime destination for international tourists and that might be because of the 2010 Olympics - I don't really know what more you're expecting.

8 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

increased the price of property pushing out canadians.

Remember the mantra leading up to the 2010 Games, "World Class City".

Many in the world did come here to stay, many locals have been forced out of their World Class City.

17 minutes ago, pluralsight said:

You must be comparing the 2010 Olympics where we were the host city, housed all the events and athletes for a full 2 weeks. Meanwhile, you're suggesting hosting a handful of FIFA matches where the draw likely won't be good, is going to make a huge difference for the city? Other than the enjoyment of the events what other benefit would this city have at the expense of hundreds of millions of dollars paid to a corrupt organization? Vancouver is already established as a prime destination for international tourists and that might be because of the 2010 Olympics - I don't really know what more you're expecting.

its global exposure at a tiny fraction of the cost. It will be on tv all over the world. Keeps us in mind for other other events, etc. etc. 

Who cares if FIFA is dirty at the top if Vancouver gets something positive out of it? Name one large sports organization that hasn't had something shady going on at one point or another. 

Yes we're established though efforts like this, it just doesn't "happen" or gee, we had the Olympics once and now we're done.

All the freaking out over the cost risk is laughable tbh, its not a major risk at all. Its easy to say no to stuff, and there always seems to be a large contingent in BC that just never misses an opportunity for a 'no'. 

It should have been an easy win but Horgan wanted to demonstrate he was Mr. Financial Responsibility but it was just stupid to pass on it. 

23 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its global exposure at a tiny fraction of the cost. It will be on tv all over the world. Keeps us in mind for other other events, etc. etc. 

Who cares if FIFA is dirty at the top if Vancouver gets something positive out of it? Name one large sports organization that hasn't had something shady going on at one point or another. 

Yes we're established though efforts like this, it just doesn't "happen" or gee, we had the Olympics once and now we're done.

All the freaking out over the cost risk is laughable tbh, its not a major risk at all. Its easy to say no to stuff, and there always seems to be a large contingent in BC that just never misses an opportunity for a 'no'. 

It should have been an easy win but Horgan wanted to demonstrate he was Mr. Financial Responsibility but it was just stupid to pass on it. 

I disagree with all your points but I think I can see where you're coming from. Let's leave it at that.

28 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

It's potentially global exposure for an event so massive that it dwarfs the Winter Olympics. Of course we would have to have a few things fly our way to reap the full effects. Having a game between a Pot 1 and Pot 2 would be pretty huge. 

Most of the world is dirty af, I have learned as much in my travels. Corruption exists because people are willing to pony up to advance their interests. Being self-righteous doesn't help you when everyone else is more than willing to work the system to their advantage. 

I believe that sentiment just displays the lack of ambition. We are content where we are when there is potential for much more.

I honestly can't speak to the costs, nor whether it was right to pull out. All I know is that Vancouver isn't a part of the most globally signaficant sporting event, one of the few times it happens to be held in North America. 

5 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

meh, I live in Vancouver and tax dollars from here go to support things in the interior. Thats not a great argument. 

Its a missed opportunity for global attention.

Why do so many Canadians and specifically BCers have such an Ugly Sister Complex?

Every time an organization, or any type of attention comes calling we have to fall all over ourselves at accomodate the "global attention".

Are we really so attention starved that we need to jump up and down and wave our arms every time some one might be watching?

Why Jimmy? Why?

Did our mothers not tell us we were good, strong, smart, pretty, hansom enough? 

What did we NOT prove during the Olympics that we need to prove it all over again.

2 things:

86 expo really helped propel vancouver to international prominence

and spurred infrastructure development including skytrain

major international events can really benefit

it is not always easy to predict in advance which event will have that really big impact

it is always worthwhile to host another one

since the track record here has been pretty god

and two, and this is a bit trivial. but world cup soccer is starting now . june 2018

the 3 country bid.. usa, mexico, canada will be played in ... june 2026

that is 8 years away .  not 9 ..

stop saying 9 years .. 

6 hours ago, gurn said:

So  if the costs aren't fixed, how do you do the "cost" part of the analysis? 

You have estimates.  Much like how companies relying on fluctuating commodity prices, labour conditions, etc....  to prepare their operating budgets.  

Vancouver held the 2010 Olympics, the Women's World Cup of Soccer and the U-20 Soccer Tournament... and lets not forget Grey Cup events, the 2011 Stanley Cup run, so the government have great data points on what to expect in terms of costs.  Scale the project for size, age in inflationary expenses, toss in a few more dollars for "off-the-book" expenses.... then you can have a pretty good picture on what the costs will be.  

Then you do your standard probable benefits part of the equation and voila, CBA pretty much done.  

If the NDP has already done it and says it's not financially feasible, then they should release the study and let all the people and experts analyze the study for themselves.  If it's very thorough and accurate, nobody would be complaining.  If their numbers are way off-base, they would be called out for it and rightfully so.  

6 hours ago, Lancaster said:

You have estimates.  Much like how companies relying on fluctuating commodity prices, labour conditions, etc....  to prepare their operating budgets.  

Vancouver held the 2010 Olympics, the Women's World Cup of Soccer and the U-20 Soccer Tournament... and lets not forget Grey Cup events, the 2011 Stanley Cup run, so the government have great data points on what to expect in terms of costs.  Scale the project for size, age in inflationary expenses, toss in a few more dollars for "off-the-book" expenses.... then you can have a pretty good picture on what the costs will be.  

Then you do your standard probable benefits part of the equation and voila, CBA pretty much done.  

If the NDP has already done it and says it's not financially feasible, then they should release the study and let all the people and experts analyze the study for themselves.  If it's very thorough and accurate, nobody would be complaining.  If their numbers are way off-base, they would be called out for it and rightfully so.  

Estimates are guesses, not fixed numbers. Thus the costs are unknown. Especially when FIFA won't sign a fixed number contract. Good on the NDP for not signing a blank Cheque.

11 hours ago, peaches5 said:

I live in Kitsilano these are not Canadians buying these houses.

whatever, go get some actual facts on it. Not interested in having this kind of discussion with you. 

10 hours ago, lmm said:

Why do so many Canadians and specifically BCers have such an Ugly Sister Complex?

Every time an organization, or any type of attention comes calling we have to fall all over ourselves at accomodate the "global attention".

Are we really so attention starved that we need to jump up and down and wave our arms every time some one might be watching?

Why Jimmy? Why?

Did our mothers not tell us we were good, strong, smart, pretty, hansom enough? 

What did we NOT prove during the Olympics that we need to prove it all over again.

:picard: its just marketing. 

Archived