The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver out despite being awarded a 2026 World Cup host spot

15 hours ago, gurn said:

Estimates are guesses, not fixed numbers. Thus the costs are unknown. Especially when FIFA won't sign a fixed number contract. Good on the NDP for not signing a blank Cheque.

That's why you have multiple estimates and figure out which one is most likely.  It's not rocket science, hence you use data from the Olympics, FIFA women's, etc.  Very irresponsible if due diligence wasn't done.

Once you have a very good estimate, you can go back to FIFA and tell them what the break-even point is.  Then you tell them that anything above that number is unacceptable.  You play hardball.  If they still say you need more, then yeah, I can completely understand if the NDP went to the taxpayers and says they were willing to go to XX amount, but FIFA demanded more, making it economically unfeasible.  I'd be one of the first people to support the decision not to host any games, but if none of that was even considered due to political reasons, that's a disservice to all taxpayers.  

6 hours ago, Lancaster said:

That's why you have multiple estimates and figure out which one is most likely.  It's not rocket science, hence you use data from the Olympics, FIFA women's, etc.  Very irresponsible if due diligence wasn't done.

Once you have a very good estimate, you can go back to FIFA and tell them what the break-even point is.  Then you tell them that anything above that number is unacceptable.  You play hardball.  If they still say you need more, then yeah, I can completely understand if the NDP went to the taxpayers and says they were willing to go to XX amount, but FIFA demanded more, making it economically unfeasible.  I'd be one of the first people to support the decision not to host any games, but if none of that was even considered due to political reasons, that's a disservice to all taxpayers.  

Add in the two (2) months that FIFA wanted BC Place..no thanks. What would that do to the BC Lions and the CFL schedule. I know they aren't a big player in this market, but for something that ties your building up for that length of time, would be the death of them. There were also some "we might need to change this" rumours in this contract that FIFA presented the Gov't. For two or maybe three games against unknown countries, let's face it we aren't getting Brazil, Spain, Germany, England, or any other powerhouse nation in Canada, let alone Vancouver.

1 hour ago, johngould21 said:

What would that do to the BC Lions and the CFL schedule.

Aw man, I am probably laughing at this more than I need to.::D

Spoiler

Who the #$%^ cares about the CFL:ph34r:

Spoiler

I know I sure as hell don'tB)

1 hour ago, johngould21 said:

Add in the two (2) months that FIFA wanted BC Place..no thanks. What would that do to the BC Lions and the CFL schedule. I know they aren't a big player in this market, but for something that ties your building up for that length of time, would be the death of them. There were also some "we might need to change this" rumours in this contract that FIFA presented the Gov't. For two or maybe three games against unknown countries, let's face it we aren't getting Brazil, Spain, Germany, England, or any other powerhouse nation in Canada, let alone Vancouver.

But Angola vs Guyana as a prelim would be magical and would pack the place.

"opportunity"

52 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Aw man, I am probably laughing at this more than I need to.::D

Reveal hidden contents

Who the #$%^ cares about the CFL:ph34r:

Reveal hidden contents

I know I sure as hell don'tB)

Did you finish the full comment,? I said they aren’t big players in this market, but two months would be the end.

13 hours ago, johngould21 said:

Maybe South Korea, Japan, Australia, New Zealand and any other Pacific Rim countries.  Those would bring in tourists from overseas, ex-pats, international students, etc.  

The Olympics interferes with the NHL schedule, yet (except for the 2018 games) the league is willing to work around it.  Even if there are only non-powerhouse teams.... for the FIFA women's the stadiums were always packed.  During the Olympics for hockey, you have B or even C teams going head-to-head, yet the arena were filled up.  

The Edmonton Eskimos, TFC, and the Impacts will have their stadium and schedules impacted by the World Cup, but I doubt any of them are complaining.  If those organizations can work around it, surely the BC Lions can do the same.  If spending a couple of months out of town will doom the team, the BC Lions have bigger internal issues than the World Cup coming to town.  

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

Maybe South Korea, Japan, Australia, New Zealand and any other Pacific Rim countries.  Those would bring in tourists from overseas, ex-pats, international students, etc.  

The Olympics interferes with the NHL schedule, yet (except for the 2018 games) the league is willing to work around it.  Even if there are only non-powerhouse teams.... for the FIFA women's the stadiums were always packed.  During the Olympics for hockey, you have B or even C teams going head-to-head, yet the arena were filled up.  

The Edmonton Eskimos, TFC, and the Impacts will have their stadium and schedules impacted by the World Cup, but I doubt any of them are complaining.  If those organizations can work around it, surely the BC Lions can do the same.  If spending a couple of months out of town will doom the team, the BC Lions have bigger internal issues than the World Cup coming to town.  

Angola vs Guyana would be a huge draw though eh? Lol? Toronto is in the process of building a new stadium for FIFA, so that should garner at least four games for Hogtown.

32 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Angola vs Guyana would be a huge draw though eh? Lol? Toronto is in the process of building a new stadium for FIFA, so that should garner at least four games for Hogtown.

As proportionally big as a draw as 2010 what Belarus vs Germany, Switzerland vs Norway, or Latvia vs Slovakia drew.

Or how about any non-key sports in 2010?  Suddenly it's the Olympics and people are lining up to buy tickets for curling, cross-country skiing, and the biathlon.  When was the last time you ever heard of casual fans deciding to watch those sports in non-Olympic years?  

The same effect will be for the World Cup.  Lots of people will want to go to the games simply because it is a World Cup event.  Whitecaps games with key rivals on a weekend or Friday night draws 20k..... so an international competition with the cache of being the biggest event in the world will definitely draw huge crowds.  

If it was Angola vs Guyana, I would probably watch it.  Why?  Because when will I ever have an opportunity to watch any World Cup event in my own backyard?

18 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Insert cities such as LA, Seattle, or a city on the West Coast of the US of A. The owners of those NHL clubs don't want to lose the goose that lays the golden eggs, (their players) for two weeks in the middle of an NHL schedule at all. I beg to differ on the womens tournament, those B and C level countries drew flies in Vancouver, and were played in smaller venues because they could sell the tickets. The Eskimos aren't filling Commonwealth Stadium any more, and haven't for years. Only 10 years ago, the Lions were selling over 30 thousand tickets per home game. The CFL is going to suffer big time, and I'm surprised at the deafening silence coming from the CFL. 

Not to break anyone’s ego or anything... but Vancouver probably wouldn’t have seen much action anyways... I mean do people really think that Vancouver would have seen very much action.

I mean it’s the 28th largest city between Mexico, the USA and Canada. There is far better cities in North America to host these events. My guess is that Vancouver would have seen maybe some games from pool G or something. Toronto or Montreal would see the big games if they get any at all. Mexico City and Guadalajara in Mexico and New York, LA and Dallas will probably get the big games in the USA. 

On June 14, 2018 at 4:37 PM, gurn said:

Estimates are guesses, not fixed numbers. Thus the costs are unknown. Especially when FIFA won't sign a fixed number contract. Good on the NDP for not signing a blank Cheque.

By this logic the government can never take up another project. That LTR going in is going to be exactly at the estimated cost I'm sure.

12 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Not to break anyone’s ego or anything... but Vancouver probably wouldn’t have seen much action anyways... I mean do people really think that Vancouver would have seen very much action.

I mean it’s the 28th largest city between Mexico, the USA and Canada. There is far better cities in North America to host these events. My guess is that Vancouver would have seen maybe some games from pool G or something. Toronto or Montreal would see the big games if they get any at all. Mexico City and Guadalajara in Mexico and New York, LA and Dallas will probably get the big games in the USA. 

Your description of the games Vancouver would see "Pool G" is proof you have no idea what you're talking about in reference to the World Cup.

5 hours ago, Bizarre said:

By this logic the government can never take up another project. That LTR going in is going to be exactly at the estimated cost I'm sure.

this is the issue imo, the risk analysis argument is so out of whack, if you used the same thinking you'd never do any major project. The idea that we can't reasonably estimate the costs is laughable. 

On 6/15/2018 at 7:35 AM, Warhippy said:

But Angola vs Guyana as a prelim would be magical and would pack the place.

"opportunity"

I know this won't be a popular opinion on Vancouver-centric CDC, but I'm getting a bit of a chuckle about people complaining that the BC government is missing out on a huge opportunity to showcase the city of Vancouver.

Yes, lets have the government of the entire province write a blank check to be paid for by the taxpayers of the entire province, so Vancouver can showcase itself to the world....:rolleyes:

I was happy to see the Olympics come to Vancity, because I believe there's a lasting legacy. But spend a big chunk of money so the only city in the province that matters can brag about hosting a preliminary match or two?

Yeah, I'll pass....and I'm glad Horgan did, as well.

39 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I know this won't be a popular opinion on Vancouver-centric CDC, but I'm getting a bit of a chuckle about people complaining that the BC government is missing out on a huge opportunity to showcase the city of Vancouver.

Yes, lets have the government of the entire province write a blank check to be paid for by the taxpayers of the entire province, so Vancouver can showcase itself to the world....:rolleyes:

I was happy to see the Olympics come to Vancity, because I believe there's a lasting legacy. But spend a big chunk of money so the only city in the province that matters can brag about hosting a preliminary match or two?

Yeah, I'll pass....and I'm glad Horgan did, as well.

What more showcasing does the city need? To attract more foreign investment to the real estate market? Show gridlock on every major thoroughfare between 4-7pm?

On 2018-06-17 at 4:16 AM, Bizarre said:

Your description of the games Vancouver would see "Pool G" is proof you have no idea what you're talking about in reference to the World Cup.

Well... group A or H is what I meant, you know one of the ones where 3 of the teams essentially aren’t ranked in the top 25 globally. I can’t believe that the point I was trying to make for by YOU of all people. 

Archived