The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposal - Draft Day moving forward

There's been quite some noise regarding the possibility of John Tavares meeting with the Canucks and discussion about how we could make our selves seem like an attractive destination for him.

It all starts with this years draft and what we are willing to do to address areas of concern such as grit in the bottom 6 and our defensive lineup.

My proposal is the following:

Sign John Tavares

Sign Ryan Reaves

Trade 1

To Carolina:

7th OA

Hutton

To Vancouver

Hanifin

5th round pick

Trade 2

To Florida (Had no problems coring goals 245 last season, could use help defensively 2838 shots allows 3rd worst in the league)

Tanev

Goldobin

Sutter

37th OA

Another draft pick to balance out value

To Vancouver

Bjugstad

15th OA (Wilde, Smith, or McIsaac) My choice Wilde

34thOA (Merkley, Bahl or Miller) My choice Merkley

Trade Eriksson, Gagner, Del Zotto, & Granlund  for whatever we can get (more picks)

Pick up some bad contracts in exchange for picks eg. Spezza. (More picks)  

Potential Roster Line Up (Future)

Dahlen Tavares Petterson

Baertschi Horvat Boeser (maybe Lind replaces Baertschi)

Gadjovich Gaudette Virtanen

Arhchibald Bjugstad Reaves

Hanifin

Juolevi

Wilde

Merkley

Gudbrandson

Stetcher

Pouliot

Brisebois

Demko

Markstrom

Tavares signing here is likely wishful thinking but who knows it could happen. Vancouver is a great place to live, we have an up and coming team with some potential superstars, and we could compete for the playoffs as early as the 2019-2020 season. We have a few assets that could help us stack up on picks in the later rounds of the draft or add to the depth of the lineup.

5 hours ago, sean_p47 said:

There's been quite some noise regarding the possibility of John Tavares meeting with the Canucks and discussion about how we could make our selves seem like an attractive destination for him.

It all starts with this years draft and what we are willing to do to address areas of concern such as grit in the bottom 6 and our defensive lineup.

Sign John Tavares

Sign Ryan Reaves

Trade 1

To Carolina:

7th OA

Hutton

To Vancouver

Hanifin

5th round pick

Trade 2

To Florida (Had no problems coring goals 245 last season, could use help defensively 2838 shots allows 3rd worst in the league)

Tanev

Goldobin

Sutter

37th OA

To Vancouver

Bjugstad

Trade Eriksson, Gagner, Del Zotto, & Granlund  for whatever we can get (more picks)

Dahlen Tavares Petterson

Hanifin

Juolevi

Wilde

Merkley

Gudbrandson

Stetcher

Pouliot

Brisebois

Demko

Markstrom

Tavares signing here is likely wishful thinking but who knows it could happen. Vancouver is a great place to live, we have an up and coming team with some potential superstars, and we could compete for the playoffs as early as the 2019-2020 season. We have a few assets that could help us stack up on picks in the later rounds of the draft or add to the depth of the lineup.

it is a bit of a reach to get tavares

and even more of a reach to get him and reeves

but who could say no

to getting those 2 quality free asses

i do think edler might still be good enough

to make it into the d lineup

certainly is better then the bottom 4 you listed

and might still be the best of the entire lot

so i'd be inclined to add him rather then vaporize him like you did :P

6 hours ago, sean_p47 said:

Sign John Tavares

Sign Ryan Reaves

Trade 1

To Carolina:

7th OA

Hutton

To Vancouver

Hanifin

5th round pick

Trade 2

Tanev

Goldobin

Sutter

37th OA

To Vancouver

Bjugstad

Dahlen Tavares Petterson

Hanifin

Juolevi

Wilde

Merkley

Gudbrandson

Stetcher

Pouliot

Brisebois

Demko

Markstrom

Okay more EA Hockey imagination trades...Easy to make those kind of trades in EA Hockey..

We will make a few trades but no block buster moves, We are on rebuild...

Tavares Not coming to Vancouver...NYI finished a head of Vancouver..

He is 27 if not staying with NYI, he would go to 1. Vegas 2. Toronto 3. Sharks 4. New Jersey 

19 hours ago, coastal.view said:

it is a bit of a reach to get tavares

and even more of a reach to get him and reeves

but who could say no

to getting those 2 quality free asses

i do think edler might still be good enough

to make it into the d lineup

certainly is better then the bottom 4 you listed

and might still be the best of the entire lot

so i'd be inclined to add him rather then vaporize him like you did :P

lol I wasn't vaporizing him, I don't expect the Canucks to sign him once his contract is over so simply assumed he wouldn't be a part of the core moving forward. I agree though that he is much better than Gudbrandson, Stetcher, Pouliot and Brisebois and likely will be for the next 1-3 years.  

7 hours ago, Pepe Silvia said:

Trades are a little far fetched. Also that defensive core would get torn apart. What happened to Edler?

The first trade is more so what I would give up for Hanifin. Its likely CAR is asking for the 7th OA. However, I don't perceive Hanifin's value to be significantly more than a top 10 pick (but it is slightly more). CAR gets Hutton to replace Hanifin and Vancouver gets a top pairing defenseman. I think the value is pretty reasonable.

If you disagree, it would be nice to know why.

Swapping 2nds

Tanev for the 15th

Sutter and Goldobin for Bjugstad

Swapping 2nd rounders to even the value a little for adding in Goldobin to the trade. FLA drops 3 spots and we move up 3 spots in the 2nd round which could possibly be had by adding a late draft pick on its own. Sutter replaces Bjugstad as the better defensive forward and FLA gets an up and coming winger with a decent skill set. We get a big body center that can add some toughness and a somewhat of a physical presence to the bottom 6 along side Archibald.

Tanev is great at supressing shots and with Sutter can add some stability to Florida's defensive game. FLA did give up close to 2900 shots and still had a decent record. If they could cut that down by even 10% with a better defensive effort, hypothetically they may have made the playoffs.

Its not a blockbuster trade at all. Its simple asset management and fulfilling team needs. Given the trade history between these two teams, its not as outlandish and far fetched as it may seem.

The lineup was a future projection. I don't think Edler will be with us the next 1-3 years.

19 hours ago, wildcam said:

Okay more EA Hockey imagination trades...Easy to make those kind of trades in EA Hockey..

We will make a few trades but no block buster moves, We are on rebuild...

Tavares Not coming to Vancouver...NYI finished a head of Vancouver..

He is 27 if not staying with NYI, he would go to 1. Vegas 2. Toronto 3. Sharks 4. New Jersey 

Actually not that easy in EA hockey.

Trade 1 might be considered a blockbuster (sort of)

Trade 2 is definitely not a blockbuster.

Didn't know you spoke to Tavares. If he is not staying with NYI, every team has a fair shot at landing him and with the amount of cap we have available there's no reason to believe we cant make him an interesting offer (from a financial point of view). You would be surprised at how motivating a few extra million dollars can be with added job security.

If we are going to dream about tempting Tavares to sign in Vancouver we get him and Carlson together in the same room and show them the money.

We have some talented wingers in Boeser and Petterson plus Horvat as a solid #2 center.

If we get Tryamkin back after next year Edler Tanev and Carlson make a solid top 4

You could make a case for a solid team going forward... with the right supporting cast.

4 hours ago, sean_p47 said:

lol I wasn't vaporizing him, I don't expect the Canucks to sign him once his contract is over so simply assumed he wouldn't be a part of the core moving forward. I agree though that he is much better than Gudbrandson, Stetcher, Pouliot and Brisebois and likely will be for the next 1-3 years.  

your proposal is for now? or isn't it?

tavares is a free agent now

you have listed a number of dmen

what do you propose to do with edler now... this season

he has a contract for this season

he is on the team and on the roster ? soooo??

This draft year is very deep in dmen, next year is deep in centers.

No star FA will sign with the Canucks as the team is now, there is just no reason as many teams can afford to pay them what they want.

Linden has stated that he believes that Baerstchi and Leipsic will fill the void left by the Sedins, I guess that means Leipsic is guaranteed a spot which is too bad because it takes up a prospects spot.

The team should get a decent draft pick next year. As a laffer, watch the Nucks finish DFL and the #5 spot gets the #1, just Canuck luck.

Archived