The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 Canucks Summer Development Camp

19 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Gaunce has always been among the fitter guys?

Definitely. He was doing those Gary Roberts summer camps since his mid-teens. I think Gaunce placed top-10 in pretty much every category at the combine during his draft year. And he absolutely destroyed testing at the top prospects game. Remains a fitness freak from everything I’ve read and heard.

9 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Definitely. He was doing those Gary Roberts summer camps since his mid-teens. I think Gaunce placed top-10 in pretty much every category at the combine during his draft year. And he absolutely destroyed testing at the top prospects game. Remains a fitness freak from everything I’ve read and heard.

He pushed Tryamkin up the grouse grind. He’s a beast. 

17 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

He isn't Canucks property, but how was UND defenseman Colton Poolman? Did he play well? Or look close to being an NHLer. He may be one of the most sought-after NCAA free agents next spring and it would be interesting if the Canucks have the inside track and sign him. 

Watching the first time thru I wanted to concentrate on a handful of players including Poolman. Was very frustrating because facebook feed kept cutting out despite having an account. It was confusing. I hadn't memorized many numbers and was also trying to focus on a number of players from both teams. Rewatching the three-part  Summer Showdown I reduced the players I focused on to a handful of Team blue players. It became a lot less confusing.

Poolman looked very good. Three things stood out about his game. His calmness, mobility and good positioning. His excelent mobility helps him in all aspects of his game. It enables him to be in good position defensively. It enables him to maintain a good gap on his check. I did not see him get beat outright. He had no problems covering fast players on team white like Rathbone and Lind. His good gap enables him to uses his stick well to break up plays. He can be physical. During the 3 vs 3 took Lind out in the corner and separated him from the puck assertively. He had the hardest hit in the game albeit on a linesman. He has a smooth skating style and has a good burst of speed. He doesn't panic. He handles the puck well.

He seems to have good hockey IQ. Reads the plays well. Always good positionally in all three zones. He covers for his defensive partner smartly. He hits the holes for offensive chances. He is constanly positioning himself to receive a pass. He missed a bank pass but generally his passes are quick and on the mark. His pass was intercepted once when he attempted to get it across to the other point but generally, he makes the right plays. Poolman was looking at Palmu in the corner instead of Madden in front who one timed Palmu's no look back pass into the net. Otherwise Poolman played a very sound game. He also battled out there. He will have lots of suitors when he finishes at UND.

15 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I like Gaunce as a character guy who is responsible defensively. Bottom line though is he has to up his offence to stick in the NHL. 

Jett Woo looks back on a hectic week that was in Vancouver during Canucks Development Camp:

What a week! 

Two weeks ago I was in Dallas, excited for the 2018 NHL Draft. It's all been a blur since the Canucks picked me in the second round. I spent some time back home with my family after the draft, and then shifted my focus to Canucks Development Camp.

I knew a few guys coming in, but getting to know everyone was my first priority. That was easy because all the guys at camp were very outgoing and friendly and we bonded as a team in no time. I got to know Colton Poolman the most as he was my roommate. Great guy, lots of laughs and with him being one of the older guys at camp and a fellow d-man, I learned a lot from him.  

There was a lot to love about this Canucks camp and it started with a trip to Whistler for some testing and team building. After Jarid Lukosevicius and I won the Spikeball tournament (no big deal!), we were split into groups and taken to the top of Cougar Mountain for some ziplining fun. It was my first time ziplining and it was awesome, easily one of the coolest things I've ever done. I'm lucky I had the Canucks TV crew following me so I can look back on the video, because I don't remember much from it. I was screaming the whole time!

Tuesday night we went to the restaurant Dirty Apron for a cooking challenge and for someone who knows little to nothing about cooking, it was a real eye-opener. It was neat to see how all the food was before, like the big halibut just sitting there, then to see how it was all prepared and how delicious it was. I was part of Team Chicken, my main duty was preparing the red thai curry sauce, which I thought turned out well. Unfortunately the judges voted dessert as their favourite of the five dishes, BUT we won the @Canucks Twitter vote about which dish looked best.

A major highlight of the week for me was visiting the Boys & Girls Club to spend some quality time with the kids there. There's no way the kids had as much fun as we did! We played floor hockey, basketball, Just Dance and laughed a lot. It's neat seeing how athletes have a chance to bond with people away from their arena and how it impacts them. The Canucks are a major part of the community in Vancouver and that's incredible to see and great to be a part of.

The main event of the week was the Summer Showdown, where Team White took down Team Blue 6-5. It was a fun night, one that started out a little awkwardly for me. When they called my name to go out on the ice, at first I thought they were booing me! Then I walked through the tunnel and saw the people by the bench were yelling my last name; they were WOOing, not BOOing thank goodness. Every time I touched the puck the fans were doing it too, so that was pretty neat. I've never had that happen before, that support means a lot. It was an unreal experience and hopefully one day I'll be able to play here for real.

Camp ended on an easy note, oh you know, just a hike straight up a mountain! The Grouse Grind was the final obstacle of the week and it was amazing and awful. I've never hiked up a mountain before, let alone doing it for time. It was literally a grind, both mentally and physically. I remember looking up a lot and seeing just trees everywhere with no end in sight. At the halfway point you're like wow, it's only halfway! In the end it was a good feeling getting to the top with all the guys and finishing off the week on a good note. My team finished in second place, so we're pretty proud of that. 

Now I head back home and have about three weeks before traveling to Kamloops for Hockey Canada's World Junior Summer Showcase. It's an honour to get invited and have the chance to compete for a spot on Team Canada. I'm going to treat that camp the same way I treated this one, I'll play my game and learn as much as possible along the way!  

Thank you Canucks for the outstanding week of camp and Canucks fans for the support, both in person and on social media. I'm very happy you we're WOOing and not BOOing!!  

Jett

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/vancouver-canucks-jett-woo/c-299429598

Wow! Sentences and paragraphs! How refreshing that this young man put the effort in to express himself in a non-tweet style message. Whether this polished piece is all his own or he got some help from the important adults in his life, the message articulates very well his experience over the last few weeks of his life. Seems like this kid might be cultivated not only as a leader on the ice, but in the community as well. 

• 8 months later...

Archived