The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(The Province Article) Preaching Patience and Selling Hope

Tre Mac

1 hour ago, westholme nuck said:

First  time poster.  I have been watching the Canucks since 1969, I just hope I get to see a Stanley Cup win before I pass on. The point is, it is time to get doing, and making it happen. As some of us have had to have a lot patience over the last 5 decades. Maybe Trevor Linden and Jim Benning can take us into consideration when making their decisions in the near future and not screw up the rebuild. 

1972 for me and yes i feel your pain!!

8 hours ago, goalie13 said:

Totally agree with this approach.

Keep building slowly through the draft and once the team is close, only then make some trades and sign some free agents to complete the puzzle.  Going for a quick fix just doesn't work.

8 hours ago, Coconuts said:

It's what I've been hoping for, throwing big money isn't going to help us at this point. We're not there yet, we're not looking for someone to put us over the top. We aren't getting Tavares or Karlsson. It just isn't happening.

We're still a fringe playoff team at best and we're likely in for another year of growing pains and that's okay. I'm fine with another lost season and more high picks if it's the young guys driving the bus. We're not likely to have success in the post-Sedin era right away and patience is something we're gonna need.

Absolutely 100% agree with these comments, with the quotes from Linden, and with most people on CDC.

I just hope Benning gets it. In general I have been happy with Linden's comments as he has always emphasized building through the draft.

But I get nervous when Benning talks. In a recent interview Benning was talking about how Washington won the Cup with guys in the 26 - 32 age range, or something like that. That is completely the wrong way to look at it. Washington won because they have good players.  Chicago won when the key players were relatively young guys in Toews and Kane. Pittsburgh won when Crosby was young and again when he was older.  They key is not age, it is quality. The last thing the Canucks should do is trade away picks to bring in guys in their mid-to-late 20s. The second last thing is to bring in more overpriced UFAs in their late 20s. Guys like Sutter, Guddy, Eriksson, Gagner, and MDZ are decent NHL players, but overpaying guys like that in free agency or giving up picks or prospects to get them is not going speed up the rebuild or turn the current team into a playoff team. It is more likely to derail the rebuild entirely.

Linden's comments are right on target. Let the young guys play and add to the pipeline with good draft picks.

The Canucks should also be looking at trying to add picks for the 2019 draft in Vancouver.

1 minute ago, JamesB said:

But I get nervous when Benning talks. In a recent interview Benning was talking about how Washington won the Cup with guys in the 26 - 32 age range, or something like that.

I took that as meaning that we shouldn't expect immediate success from the Canucks and that building through the draft takes time.

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Far from it, maybe just starting, maybe year one of five.

Getting more 1rst round picks, that have a better chance of making the NHL, should be the goal not even contemplating trading away the #7 pick for a young player another team wants to shed. A win, win deal, OJ for Hanifin.

I hope they beware Boqvist at 7, he had 2 concussions this year, the effects just keep multiplying, the next one is always worse to the point that there is no "mild" left. He just doesn't have the size, so far, to avoid jarring impacts.  

The draft cannot be the only source of players, skillful trades are necessary. Many teams made impact trades that won them a cup.

I think that is probably an appropriate description, year one of five.  Yes, more first rounders, second rounders... would be good to move things along.  

Don't agree trading OJ for Hanifin is a win win, we need OJ and Hanifin and two or three good young D prospects.  

Boqvist has exactly the tool set we need but I agree his size and concussions are a concern.  Hughes or Dobson would be the players I want in this draft that may be available (though I am guessing not, you Canuck luck).  Would also stay away from Bouchard because his deficiencies are already all over our defence and Tkachuck as well just because he really doesn't have the offensive pedigree of his brother.

And yes skillful trades and signings are a very important part of the job, and not one we have done well, or even passably, more like tragically bad.

I haven't seen enough of hanifin to have a read on him, and the analysis I've read has been a mixed bag, but I think moving the 7th overall to acquire a young, blue chip, potential top pairing dman is a fundamentally sound strategy. the canucks have quietly assembled a budding core of forwards that will be very competitive. ideally, though, you'd like your core defencemen to be a little older, since they take longer to develop, so that you theoretically have a longer open window with your best players in their primes at the same time. 

Yep. 

Makes way more sense to make this move right now than any of the past few years. 

Still a veteran presence with Sutter/Edler/Tanev/Loui/Del Zotto/Gudbranson while Bo/Baer/Virt/Brock/Granny/Leipsic/Goldy and co have seasoning and are ready to prove what they can do.  Plus, with no expectations there's depth and room for *legit* new guys like Gaudette, Juolevi, Pettersson Dahlen and Demko to get their chance.  TL and JB have been moving towards this (Sedin Retirement) from the get-go.

We're at least a season or two away from being in the middle of the pack and I'm fine with that being the point at which we begin fine tuning the build. The team is on the right path at the right time and unless it's truly worth it and makes sense with the current lineup, the Canucks should keep on with what they've been doing.

11 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

The draft cannot be the only source of players, skillful trades are necessary. Many teams made impact trades that won them a cup.

If the team is hoping to get the foundation through the draft they will have to trade existing assets for draft picks, not trade draft picks for questionable assets in return.

Seems a contradiction.

17 hours ago, Puckster said:

"building through the Draft" thinking is fine until you realize two things:

- Nucks get screwed by the Lottery, every time.

- Vegas, how many players did vegas draft, that got them into the cup final????

Every single one.  Except Tatar sauce, which they will come to regret.

11 hours ago, longsuffering said:

How many of the off-season signings from last summer worked out for the Canucks or are even still there.

Stick with the young guys and let them develop.

True, Vanek got us something though and the bigger question is how many of our picks were ready last summer or would have been rushed without these guys?    There are three open spots at the moment, Gaudette, Dahlen and Pettersson seem to he the young guns ready to step up....but we won't know how ready they are until November.  

12 hours ago, longsuffering said:

How many of the off-season signings from last summer worked out for the Canucks or are even still there.

Stick with the young guys and let them develop.

All but Vanek (which garnered a return) are still here and are performing their roles (which is basically warm bodies who are good in the room, until kids arrive).

I think some fans (and media) are very confused as to why they were brought in. It wasn't to make us playoff contenders. 

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

All but Vanek (which garnered a return) are still here and are performing their roles (which is basically warm bodies who are good in the room, until kids arrive).

I think some fans (and media) are very confused as to why they were brought in. It wasn't to make us playoff contenders. 

Rather they were valued TDL targets worth more than a 3rd rounder, if they are to continue buying UFAs as meanwhiles/warm-bodies. 

Patience is still a necessity at this point. We can't accelerate age and experience. 

We're still 3-4 years away from maturity of the rebuild/contention/whatever we call it. The timeline is in the ages of our youth. 

Demko 22
Goldobin 22
Virtanen 21
Boeser 21
Gaudette 21
Dahlen 20
Juolevi 20
Jasek 20
Palmu 20
Petterssen 19
Lind 19
Gadjovich 19
DiPietro 19
#7 Pick 18/19 

The door to the new era is just beginning to open. We still need to allow guys to mature, prove themselves, and others to emerge. Our time isn't now, it's still a few years away from an upswing standpoint when our youth is 23-26 as they come of age together into their prime.

In 3-4 years, Bo will be 26-27, Tryamkin will be 26-27, and (if still here) guys like Stretcher and Hutton will be 28-29.

We really need to see how much of an impact Boeser, Petterssen, Gaudette, Virtanen, Dahlen, Demko will have next season before we start spending big money. 

I agree with Linden about not getting ahead of ourselves right now. But at some point in Benning's extension, management needs to be more aggressive. 

1 minute ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Patience is still a necessity at this point. We can't accelerate age and experience. 

We're still 3-4 years away from maturity of the rebuild/contention/whatever we call it. The timeline is in the ages of our youth. 

Demko 22
Goldobin 22
Virtanen 21
Boeser 21
Gaudette 21
Dahlen 20
Juolevi 20
Jasek 20
Palmu 20
Petterssen 19
Lind 19
Gadjovich 19
DiPietro 19
#7 Pick 18/19 

The door to the new era is just beginning to open. We still need to allow guys to mature, prove themselves, and others to emerge. Our time isn't now, it's still a few years away when our youth is 23-26.

In 3-4 years, Bo will be 26-27, Tryamkin will be 26-27, and (if still here) guys like Stretcher and Hutton will be 28-29.

We really need to see how much of an impact Boeser, Petterssen, Gaudette, Virtanen, Dahlen, Demko will have next season before we start spending big money. 

I agree with Linden about not getting ahead of ourselves right now. But at some point in Benning's extension, management needs to be more aggressive. 

I think we are starting to get to the point where its swim or sink time. In order to do so, they need the opportunity, and again I think we'll see a lot of youngsters given the chance..... Could see us struggle another year or two. After that management will know for sure, what we have to build on.

You can add the no 37 pick to the top and maybe even 68th pick as well to the names mentioned.

Maybe even Rathbone, Di Pietro, Gunnarson, Lockwood and even Trym, and this is an incredible amount of talent. 

But as you rightly stated, at some stage we need to start win hockey games again... Fans are fickle and so are owners... 

Archived