The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] what’s better? Elite forward group or elite D-Corp?

1 hour ago, goalie13 said:

What's wrong with balance?

Take a look at recent 3-time Stanley Cup Champions, the Chicago Blackhawks.  Elite forwards in Kane and Toews.  Elite defense in with Keith, and a decent goaltender, first Niemi, then Crawford.  Then there's the 2-time Stanley Cup Champions, the LA Kings.  Elite forward with Kopitar.  Elite defense with Doughty.  Better than most goaltender with Quick.  Even the Penguins, who were built more for offense still have Kris Letang.

Big picture... I don't think it has to be one or the other.  I think a balanced team will be better equipped for the playoffs where you need to win four rounds against four completely different teams.

Might be just me but I don't think Niemi was all that great.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he was Dan Cloutier's twin brother but he was the weak link on that team.  Fortunately for the Hawks, they were soooooo deep up front (*both* forwards & defense).  

1 hour ago, Primal Optimist said:

I agree, any one elite defenseman added to 2011 Nucks and we have a cup, most likely. 

Losing Hamhuis in the first game of the Finals...burnt the turkey.

to answer the question, keeping in mind the players that are in the system, we need elite Dmen in order to make the first pass, rush the puck, make the good shot on net and defend. This will cut down on the fire drill in the Dzone, add to the puck possession game, and contribute to the offense (apples and goals).

31 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Might be just me but I don't think Niemi was all that great.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he was Dan Cloutier's twin brother but he was the weak link on that team.  Fortunately for the Hawks, they were soooooo deep up front (*both* forwards & defense).  

That kind of goes to my point.  You don't need elite goaltending.  You just need solid goaltending.  Many teams have won the Cup without an elite goaltender because they had the right team playing in front of him.

1 hour ago, c00kies said:

If you have an elite forward core, then your defense should utilize that by being quick, efficient movers of the puck to get it to them.

If you have an elite d-core, then your system should revolve around one timers and setting up screens.

I've always been more intrigued by having a really good forward core, and even in 2011 we didn't really have that (Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, and then everyone else having career years), nor did we have an elite d-core. However, we did have the offensive d-man in Ehrhoff, a steady shutdown pairing with Hamhuis and Bieksa, a young, steady d-man in Tanev, Salo for one timers, etc...So the d-core might not have been elite, but everyone had a suited role on the team, which you can't say now.

The only thing lacking from the defense was a physical monster who could have handed the Bruins their teeth. That was it.

4 hours ago, DADDYROCK said:

What you need is a goalie on cocaine, like Edmonton had when they won their Stanley Cups.

Apparently Fehr was loaded,SO I'VE HEARD.

Heard that entire team was dabbing in the snow , kurri especially as well

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The only thing lacking from the defense was a physical monster who could have handed the Bruins their teeth. That was it.

yes. It didn't help that Hammer was gone after that hip check. I think Ehrhoff was also hurt, so we lost offense there too.

4 minutes ago, c00kies said:

yes. It didn't help that Hammer was gone after that hip check. I think Ehrhoff was also hurt, so we lost offense there too.

Losing Hamhuis was a huge blow. Most of the defense was playing hurt. Edler had two broken fingers, I believe.

19 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Elite. Goaltending. 

I agree. I’d say in order of importance it goes 

1. Elite goaltending

2. Elite centre

3. Elite goal scorer (could be same player as number 2)

4. Elite defenseman

you probably need at least 3 of the 4 to win a cup (plus a lot of other stuff) but goaltending and goal scoring are the most important aspects to winning

They say I have always looked at it... it's about who you can put on the ice during the critical moments of a game.

So I say you you need both or more accurately you need that 5 man unit for both ends of the ice to win games. Your number 1 line and your shutdown line. Everything else is support/grit/energy....

In the past 20 years the Hart trophy has been awarded to:

8 centres

7 wingers

4 goalies (hasek twice, technically)

1 defensemen

the Conn Smythe 

7 centres

5 goalies

4 wingers

4 defensemen 

forwards and goaltending are more important than defensemen

Archived