The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2018-19 (2 positions available!)

canuck2xtreme

4 minutes ago, canuck2xtreme said:

TRADE: The Detroit Red Wings have made a trade with the New York Rangers.

To NYR:
small.png Ryan O'Reilly

To DET:
small.png Dylan Strome
small.png Logan Stanley

Sad day for the organization to see Ryan be moved out, but with the recent acquisition of Jack Eichel, there simply wasn't enough room for him on our team. We have had a lot of young players emerge as legit top 6 talent, and needed to create space down the middle to let them continue to develop. Ryan has served us well over the years, and was a part of the first big trade made by this management team many years ago.

We are excited to add 2 young pieces to our team, both of whom were high draft picks from the previous couple of drafts. Although Dylan may not turn out to be the franchise centre once imagined by many, we see him as a potential top 6 player in the future. With our stable of talent, we can have patience with his development and ensure that he is given the right opportunities when he is ready. Logan adds depth to our thin blueline prospect pipeline. We had many young players step into big roles over the years, and envision Logan doing the same in the next couple of seasons as he rounds out his game in the minors.

Wish nothing but the best of luck to Ryan in New York, @Primal Optimist will for sure treat him well. Classy organization through and through.

• Cheers 1

As always my thanks the agent and commish,

Special thanks to "strombone" out in Detroit for the kind words, I am sure your club is very well served with their choice of GM. This is one of the most exciting trades I have been a part of since I joined this place. There have been some I was giddy about for the whole process and some I was second guessing after making them, but this one feels good and felt good from the beginning and not because of any silly 'win the trade' ideas. There are not enough years to take it all in before one forgets the trade happened. lol. I feel good about this one because it may be the first actual hockey trade i have taken a serious part in. Its a good one to me for that reason. There are risks going back and forth to both parties, there are upsides to bath parties and in the end I really think both parties got what they needed out of the deal and not much more. This may, I will go read back my records, but this may be my favourite hockey trade of all my years here.  Now to the talent that went both ways, Boy! Wow. I am very happy to have Ryan O'Reilly come join what we are building here. It is bitter sweet as at the end of the day doesn't everyone wish they had all three guys? haha. Where we gain from Ryan's experience and leadership we lose at Dylan's potential and Logan's good old physical defending which is his best upside of many. Together, they represent a significant loss to our organization but one that we had to suffer to gain in other areas..

Moving forward, we will go into camp with Ryan situated at 1C and we will see how things shake out, We have a young centerman in Casey Mittelstadt who is chomping up ice time and earning his way higher and higher on our depth charts, a factor in this trade as well. Casey will be given every opportunity to earn his spot like everyone at camp, but for the summer depth charts he is our 2C and I am very happy to announce that here if i have not already.  In fact, to refresh your memory on forward depth now

Thomas Vanek, Ryan O'Reilly, Bobby Ryan

Justin Abdelkader, Casey Mittelstadt, Kyle Okposo

Brendan Leipsic, Patrik Berglund, Josh Ho-Sang

Colin WIlson, Matt Stajan, Dale Weisse

.....................Lucas Sedlak...............................

Edited by Primal Optimist
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, canuck2xtreme said:

Am I missing something...?

On 2018-05-28 at 3:22 AM, Mike Vanderhoek said:

NEW JERSEY DEVILS PLAYOFF ROSTER FINALS!

Alex Ovechkin - Reilly Smith - Jonathan Marchessault

23 hours ago, aGENT said:

I don't want to be charged with tampering so I'll just say...<_<

On 2018-06-19 at 8:21 PM, canuck2xtreme said:

EXTENSION: The Philadelphia Flyers have re-signed Jonathan Marchessault to a 6 year contract extension.

small.png Jonathan Marchessault - 6 year, $36 million dollar contract. ($6 million per season)

Think a few of us are a little confused.

1. How was a New Jersey player, traded from Philly and on Jersey’s roster, able to sign him to begin with?

2. If he was traded back, then we must have missed the trade. But then that leads some of us with the confusion of...

3. Trading your UFA as a rental, and then that UFA signing back with the team that traded him.

I know guys don’t want to rock the boat on this. But I thought I’d just jump in and say it. I know there’s thoughts on the contract itself, but that’s neither here nor there.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, canuck2xtreme said:

Am I missing something...?

1 hour ago, Monty said:

Think a few of us are a little confused.

1. How was a New Jersey player, traded from Philly and on Jersey’s roster, able to sign him to begin with?

2. If he was traded back, then we must have missed the trade. But then that leads some of us with the confusion of...

3. Trading your UFA as a rental, and then that UFA signing back with the team that traded him.

I know guys don’t want to rock the boat on this. But I thought I’d just jump in and say it. I know there’s thoughts on the contract itself, but that’s neither here nor there.

Yeah, I'm not opposed to re-signing a rental, and it's within league rules but something seems amiss here in either a conditional portion of the trade or an unposted trade back or....

Not sure how much I should say about the contract itself or the fact that an assumed, highly sought after FA would re-sign for such seemingly reasonable terms...

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Tony Romo said:

Eh not a big deal he re signed for decent terms, we’d all be happy if that was our pending UFA resigning like that. 

K

Great point on how he’s Devils property though! Unless we are missing something that’s illegal!

So to hopefully clear some confusion, when Mike and I made the original trade it only happened because he offered a clause that sent Jonathan's rights back to me when the season ended for the Devils. I don't think the details were put in the trade post which is causing the confusion. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Zenflamesfan said:

So to hopefully clear some confusion, when Mike and I made the original trade it only happened because he offered a clause that sent Jonathan's rights back to me when the season ended for the Devils. I don't think the details were put in the trade post which is causing the confusion. 

Ah that makes sense!