CDCGML 2018-19 (2 positions available!)

canuck2xtreme

Las Vegas Draft Summary

1. Adam Boqvist (9th overall)

2. Ryan Merkley (21st overall)

3. Alexander Volkov (39th overall)

4. Jay O’Brien (47th overall)

5. Alexander Khovanov (70th overall)

Interesting draft that only slightly went as planned. Boqvist was not in my plans to draft at 9, as I had two other players pencilled in, who I thought for sure would be down to one or the other available. Surprisingly, Boqvist was the one who dropped in my lap. While surprising, a nice surprise nonetheless. 

Had the 26th overall and parted with one of my 3rds to move up to 21st to select Ryan Merkley. Along with everyone else, I’ve read (and heard) the issues with Merkley. However, based on our league’s scoring structure, a low risk at the tail end of the 1st round, and having a history of knowingly taking a gamble on drafting players higher than I know they’ll go IRL (ie: Liljegren), I have a feeling Merkley will fall unnecessarily as well. He’s young, so there’s time to coach his attitude out of him.

Alexander Volkov has been on my radar to draft since June last year. The plan was to draft him at 26, but decided to take the risk and hope he fell to me at 39. It paid off. Who knows how far he would have fallen, but considering my team needs NHL ready players in the next 2-3 years, Volkov at 39 was a no brainer. Plus, that brings my Tampa representation to four players: Killorn, Joseph, Foote, and now Volkov. Can never have too many Tampa players, especially for trade bait.

Jay O’Brien was my second player, along with Volkov, who I’ve known I’ve wanted for a number of months now. The plan was to take him at 39, but the way things turned out, like Volkov, I took the risk that he’d be there at 47 for me. Maybe I’ll see him in 3-4 years.

As for Khovanov, he was on my list. Didn’t expect him to be available at 70th, but there were other guys in the 3rd taken before him I was also shocked to see were still around, so I was slightly disappointed at the time of the pick. But all’s well that ends well.

Now it’s time to strike out in free agency and plan on my interview questions for Jack Hughes.