The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

27 Different 2018 Draft Rankings - Top 10 Compiled

Rob_Zepp

The top 2 are set in stone as I can't see Dahlin or Svechnikov being bumped. Spots 3 - 15 are really fluid which makes this draft a whole lot of fun. So many ifs at play for the Canucks at 7. Reality is there are 8 players - Tkachuk, Hughes, Boqvist, Dobson, Bouchard, Wahlstrom, Kotkaniemi (I really think he goes in the top 10) and Zadina. The 3 - 6 picks eliminate 4 of the 8. That leaves the Canucks with 4 players to chose from. I would be happy with any of those players.

I will be watching Friday for sure! Really hope the Canucks do not trade away their pick (the rumours of that seem to have died down fortunately). 

Here is an article wrote featuring 9 potential fits at 7.  If you wish to read click here.  So many options for us at 7. I'm going to need some popcorn well I watch the drama from 3 down unfold lol. I am nervous and excited about Boqvist and Hughes.  Bouchard is a comfortable pick.

I hope to see the draft play out as follows:

1. Dahlin (BUF)

2. Svechnikov (CAR

3. Tkachuk (ARI) From Montreal (Traded Domi LW/C for Galchenyuk C) - could be trying to shore up the left side

4. Zadina (OTT) -

5. Kotkaniemi (MON)

6. Hughes (DET)

7. Wahlstrom (VAN)

8. Dobson (CHI)

9. Bouchard (NYR)

10. Boqvist (EDM)

As much as I would love Zadina, I just don't see him dropping past 4. Kotkaniemi is almost a lock to MON and I don't see Detroit passing on Hughes. I think Wahlstrom is BPA at 7 and if the reports are true that his game is very similar to Boeser, we definitely need to take him at 7. Top 9 could look like this:

Dahlen Pettersson Boeser

Wahlstrom Horvat Virtanen (I honestly think Virtanen is going to surprise a lot of people in next 1-2 seasons)

Gadjovich Gaudette Lind

We can add RHD through trades for picks in the first or 2nd round with Merkley, Lundkvist, Wilde, Smith, etc. I think its extremely important for the Canucks to try and add another top 15 and top 35 pick to make a significant move forward.

18 hours ago, sean_p47 said:

1. Dahlin (BUF)

2. Svechnikov (CAR

3. Tkachuk (ARI) From Montreal (Traded Domi LW/C for Galchenyuk C) - could be trying to shore up the left side

4. Zadina (OTT) -

5. Kotkaniemi (MON)

6. Hughes (DET)

7. Wahlstrom (VAN)

8. Dobson (CHI)

9. Bouchard (NYR)

10. Boqvist (EDM)

As much as I would love Zadina, I just don't see him dropping past 4. Kotkaniemi is almost a lock to MON and I don't see Detroit passing on Hughes. I think Wahlstrom is BPA at 7 and if the reports are true that his game is very similar to Boeser, we definitely need to take him at 7. Top 9 could look like this:

Dahlen Pettersson Boeser

Wahlstrom Horvat Virtanen (I honestly think Virtanen is going to surprise a lot of people in next 1-2 seasons)

Gadjovich Gaudette Lind

We can add RHD through trades for picks in the first or 2nd round with Merkley, Lundkvist, Wilde, Smith, etc. I think its extremely important for the Canucks to try and add another top 15 and top 35 pick to make a significant move forward.

I agree with you on Jake and while I think Dobson is more of a need for us Wahlstrom is in my top 3 wishlist for sure...!

On 6/16/2018 at 3:34 PM, apollo said:

I still cant believe we're drafting 7th overall... 

What a joke. Nhl is rigged! 

Doesn't seem like a bad year to get screwed, the depth in the top end of this draft is fantastic 3-10 could almost be interchangeable.  Last year seemed worse but we came out of it golden, year before that we not only got screwed in the lottery but on the floor.  JB seemed to really want PLD (Not criticizing the OJ pick, great prospect)

Better get a good PMD this year because next year we get our number one centre in Jack Hughes.  

Going to try positivity this year, the draft lottery isn't fixed and we are going to get lucky for the home town draft.

On 6/18/2018 at 4:33 PM, sean_p47 said:

1. Dahlin (BUF)

2. Svechnikov (CAR

4. Zadina (OTT) -

5. Kotkaniemi (MON)

6. Hughes (DET)

7. Wahlstrom (VAN)

8. Dobson (CHI)

9. Bouchard (NYR)

10. Boqvist (EDM)

Dahlen Pettersson Boeser

Gadjovich Gaudette Lind

I've been saying since the end of the season that I think Virtanen is going to have a breakout year next year.  I thought Montreal was drafting 3 and Arizona 5.  Anyway, I agree with who they would take since Tkachuk has ties to Arizona and Detroit has ties to Hughes being from Boston area.  For me, I don't know who I would want more Dobson or Wahlstrom from the players left available.  Either one will be great and if not Boqvist to replace our top defensive Swede in Edler.  My lines for next year if we get Wahlstrom:

Wahlstrom Horvat Boeser (Damn that looks deadly)

Some Sutter Shutdown System (possibly Gagner Sutter Eriksson, Sutter has said he really likes his role, but I think these players don't so some juggling could be done)

Virtanen Gaudette Pettersson (I think this would work cause both Virtanen and Pettersson are really fast)

Goldobin/Baerstchi Granlund Leipsic (I think Granlund should be given a chance to succeed with some talent on his line.  Would get to face nicer matchups than he did with Sutter and we could try if he has what it takes to be a centre)

I think that it could work if we run with 3 scoring lines and 1 shutdown line.  Make it tougher to defend against and Sutter is far from a liability (I just think he is really underrated by the fanbase.  How could he be expected to produce offense when he is exclusively facing the top line of every team on a nightly basis?  He's also the most plus player on one of the worst teams in the league, facing the toughest competition of any other teammate every single night.  I find that pretty amazing)

17 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

I've been saying since the end of the season that I think Virtanen is going to have a breakout year next year.  I thought Montreal was drafting 3 and Arizona 5.  Anyway, I agree with who they would take since Tkachuk has ties to Arizona and Detroit has ties to Hughes being from Boston area.  For me, I don't know who I would want more Dobson or Wahlstrom from the players left available.  Either one will be great and if not Boqvist to replace our top defensive Swede in Edler.  My lines for next year if we get Wahlstrom:

Wahlstrom Horvat Boeser (Damn that looks deadly)

Some Sutter Shutdown System (possibly Gagner Sutter Eriksson, Sutter has said he really likes his role, but I think these players don't so some juggling could be done)

Virtanen Gaudette Pettersson (I think this would work cause both Virtanen and Pettersson are really fast)

Goldobin/Baerstchi Granlund Leipsic (I think Granlund should be given a chance to succeed with some talent on his line.  Would get to face nicer matchups than he did with Sutter and we could try if he has what it takes to be a centre)

I think that it could work if we run with 3 scoring lines and 1 shutdown line.  Make it tougher to defend against and Sutter is far from a liability (I just think he is really underrated by the fanbase.  How could he be expected to produce offense when he is exclusively facing the top line of every team on a nightly basis?  He's also the most plus player on one of the worst teams in the league, facing the toughest competition of any other teammate every single night.  I find that pretty amazing)

I assumed that Montreal would trade down 1 or 2 spots to take Kotkaniemi.

If we look at Bertuzzi's trajectory, he didn't become the power forward that we know today until 25 or 26. He had all the tools and showed glimpses of what he could be year after year, but it wasn't until 5 or 6 years in the NHL did he finally put it all together. I believe's Virtanen skillset to be slightly better than Bertuzzi's.

For me it comes down to Dobson and Wahlstrom as well if Zadina, Hughes, and Tkachuk are taken 4-6. I know that Vancouver is need of defense, but how do you say know to a potential Boeser 2.0. We can stock up on defensive prospects in later rounds or by acquiring more first round picks.

Apparently, Toronto is still discussing Tanev with Vancouver and if we can either get a first from them or PHI or FLA, we could potentially draft Ty Smith at 14, Bode Wilde at 19, or Ryan Merkley at 25. Merkley is believed to be a top 5 talent in this draft but has other issues that saw his stock fall.

On 6/18/2018 at 10:46 AM, Rush17 said:

Here is an article wrote featuring 9 potential fits at 7.  If you wish to read click here.  So many options for us at 7. I'm going to need some popcorn well I watch the drama from 3 down unfold lol. I am nervous and excited about Boqvist and Hughes.  Bouchard is a comfortable pick.

Not a Noah Dobson fan?

37 minutes ago, sean_p47 said:

I assumed that Montreal would trade down 1 or 2 spots to take Kotkaniemi.

If we look at Bertuzzi's trajectory, he didn't become the power forward that we know today until 25 or 26. He had all the tools and showed glimpses of what he could be year after year, but it wasn't until 5 or 6 years in the NHL did he finally put it all together. I believe's Virtanen skillset to be slightly better than Bertuzzi's.

For me it comes down to Dobson and Wahlstrom as well if Zadina, Hughes, and Tkachuk are taken 4-6. I know that Vancouver is need of defense, but how do you say know to a potential Boeser 2.0. We can stock up on defensive prospects in later rounds or by acquiring more first round picks.

Apparently, Toronto is still discussing Tanev with Vancouver and if we can either get a first from them or PHI or FLA, we could potentially draft Ty Smith at 14, Bode Wilde at 19, or Ryan Merkley at 25. Merkley is believed to be a top 5 talent in this draft but has other issues that saw his stock fall.

Hard no to Merkley in the first round...too many other good picks without bagage...

19 hours ago, teepain said:

Or trade tanev for one the top 9 picks and get wahlstrom and a dman ! Go benning go

Would you trade a top 10 pick to get Tanev? I wouldn't. Not for a one dimensional defensive d-man.

3 hours ago, Baggins said:

Would you trade a top 10 pick to get Tanev? I wouldn't. Not for a one dimensional defensive d-man.

Would you trade a one dimensional defensive D man for a Hart Trophy winner, who is still young?  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Would you trade a one dimensional defensive D man for a Hart Trophy winner, who is still young?  

Wait you're offering me a young Hart Trophy winner for Tanev? In a heartbeat I take that deal. I certainly wouldn't trade a young Hart winner to get Tanev though. Would you?

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

Wait you're offering me a young Hart Trophy winner for Tanev? In a heartbeat I take that deal. I certainly wouldn't trade a young Hart winner to get Tanev though. Would you?

No one in their right mind would do that. (except Peter Chiapetelli:)

That's my point.  GM's do crazy things, when they believe they are only one missing piece away.  And a top shut-down D man (which Tanev clearly is) might just get another GM to do a Chiarelli.  :)

Archived