The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

27 Different 2018 Draft Rankings - Top 10 Compiled

Rob_Zepp

48 minutes ago, Alflives said:

No one in their right mind would do that. (except Peter Chiapetelli:)

That's my point.  GM's do crazy things, when they believe they are only one missing piece away.  And a top shut-down D man (which Tanev clearly is) might just get another GM to do a Chiarelli.  :)

But to go back to my first response. getting a top 10 pick for Tanev, a team with a top 10 pick isn't likely one piece away from anything. I wouldn't trade a top 20 pick for Tanev. I just don't think he has that kind of value.

49 minutes ago, Baggins said:

But to go back to my first response. getting a top 10 pick for Tanev, a team with a top 10 pick isn't likely one piece away from anything. I wouldn't trade a top 20 pick for Tanev. I just don't think he has that kind of value.

I don't disagree.  I wouldn't either.  But there is always the potential another GM could pull a Chia Pet.  Heard on 650 this morning the idea of Tanev + 7 to the Islanders for picks 11 and 12.  That must be kind of fair, because (as a Canuck's fan) I don't think I would do that.  I think the player we get at 7 could be too good to pass over.

22 hours ago, spook007 said:

Hard no to Merkley in the first round...too many other good picks without bagage...

I don't think beggars can be choosers. Canucks are desperate for defensive prospects. If Ryan Merkley is available and the scouting reports are accurate with respect to his talent and ability, we need to draft him without hesitation. Character and motivational issues can be addressed once he is in your organization.

Look at Evander Kane, apparently the San Jose locker room loves the guy. It takes time for kids to mature and I for one think the Canucks have time to give him. We are still rebuilding and are likely 2-3 years away from seriously competing.

6 hours ago, sean_p47 said:

I don't think beggars can be choosers. Canucks are desperate for defensive prospects. If Ryan Merkley is available and the scouting reports are accurate with respect to his talent and ability, we need to draft him without hesitation. Character and motivational issues can be addressed once he is in your organization.

Look at Evander Kane, apparently the San Jose locker room loves the guy. It takes time for kids to mature and I for one think the Canucks have time to give him. We are still rebuilding and are likely 2-3 years away from seriously competing.

Sorry but disagree....

Huge difference between a player age 24-26, who allegedly had problems before, but you've had a chance to see with your team over a few months, and then a young boy, when there are so many good alternatives available...

Had the rest been garbage, you may had rolled the dice and taken a chance, but not with our first or second pick.

He was without a doubt a player of huge interest prior to all the issues coming to light...

Just the way I see it... It is, what it is...

8 minutes ago, Sweathog said:

Exactly. If he's still available in the 2nd then maybe take a chance on him.

Even think no. 37 is too much to use, but yeah maybe.... def not our 1st... in my uneducated opinion.

6 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Even think no. 37 is too much to use, but yeah maybe.... def not our 1st... in my uneducated opinion.

Yup I agree. I think 37 might be reasonable to take a chance with a player of his talent. But I wouldn't take him with a 1st, even if we acquired a late 1st. I don't like the idea of giving up an asset to take a player with his attitude.

Archived