The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TWU Lawschool decision

kingofsurrey

TWU Lawschool decision

Some great news today.  Once again CDN Supreme Court has to protect CDN rights and freedoms. 

Canada is a great country. 

Societies governing the legal profession have the right to deny accreditation to a proposed law school at a Christian university in B.C., the Supreme Court of Canada has ruled.

In a pair of keenly anticipated decisions Friday, the high court said law societies in Ontario and British Columbia were entitled to ensure equal access to the bar, support diversity and prevent harm to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer students.

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/supreme-court-of-canada-loss-for-trinity-western-university?video_autoplay=true

I'm very happy with this, the attempts in this country to use religion as an excuse to let you discriminate won't stand. The flimsy logic that it was their religious beliefs that were being discriminated against was laughable, and not at all what the Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects. Denial of service based on religious beliefs is anti-Canadian. 

Shame on   BC  Advanced Ed.   – Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland and Labrador – though for having granted accreditation.

At least we have a CS court to protect us from our own provincial governments...  similar to like when the BC Liberals attacked special needs kids education in BC for 12 years.... until CS Court ruled against the Liberals...   Sad but at least we have the CS Court to protect us. 

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Shame on   BC  – Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland and Labrador – though for having granted accreditation.

Shame on BC?  I thought BC and Ontario were the two law societies that refused accreditation?

3 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

Shame on BC?  I thought BC and Ontario were the two law societies that refused accreditation?

I meant more shame on BC advanced ED ...    Yes BC law society stood up for all BC citizens...  You are correct. 

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

Yes of course. 

they did do everyone a service. When you allow discrimination based on stated religious beliefs it opens up a bottomless pit of problems. Today evangelicals don't want LGBTQ people in their law school, tomorrow someone won't pick you up in a cab, or in a dental office, etc. etc. Its repulsive. Thank god for the SCoC. 

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

they did do everyone a service. When you allow discrimination based on stated religious beliefs it opens up a bottomless pit of problems. Today evangelicals don't want LGBTQ people in their law school, tomorrow someone won't pick you up in a cab, or in a dental office, etc. etc. Its repulsive. Thank god for the SCoC. 

And who cares. Let capitalism take its corse. All those companies would be doing is turning away business. Which in itself is a terrible business plan. I personally say let private business have the right to serve who ever they want.

Just now, ForsbergTheGreat said:

And who cares. Let capitalism take its corse. All those companies would be doing is turning away business. Which in itself is a terrible business plan. I personally say let private business have the right to serve who ever they want.

Wow really ?

u realize twu recieves gov funds , right ?  

38 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I was replying to the response from small businesses. I know you flunked out of university but come on

U need to return to ur community college that u attending for a month of sept back in the day

this thread is about twu 

40 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I was replying to the response from small businesses. I know you flunked out of university but come on

Even small businesses have a duty to not discrimate    

Sorry bud but u were born 300 yrs too late

56 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Don't think the full implications of this are being understood.  If government can legislate against the personal beliefs of private entities based on arbitrary precepts then actively persecute them for it, then anyone cheering it must not be dismayed when the same comes to bite them at some point in the future.  Nobody is safe, at all.  And of course it shows their typical disingenuity, with the "oh this won't be mandated against anyone's personal or private beliefs."  But that's nothing new for anyone who understands how government operates; this is par for the course and frankly fully expected.  THIS is the "bottomless pit of problems" that has been opened up, so completely antithetical to a free society (for those who actually continue to believe we live in one).  Amazing how readily and happily some celebrate tyranny.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

That last part is a narrow way of viewing the issue and shame on you for painting all evangelical Christians in the same brush. The school is a Christian school. As such, they follow the teachings of Christ who said, "‘Have you not read that he who made them from the beginning made them male and female,’ and said, ‘For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one’?" They're following what they believe their founder said about sex and marriage. Where did Jesus ever say to stop providing service because of someone's sexuality? If anything, Jesus promotes loving one's so-called enemies, "But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous." I know of many Christians who believe homosexuality is a sin because they believe this is what Jesus said and yet, they do not discriminate giving of themselves, their time and money to others despite the fact that the other persons are gay. The question is: if you know the other person is evangelical, how would you act?

22 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

this thread is about twu 

Not much of a thread, at least put a link in somewhere or type what the decision was.  Typical Surrey resident:ph34r:.   

Archived