The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

This should be an interesting Week (Discussion)

Hi Everyone

Well, we are getting closer, and I just want to thank everyone for putting up with my proposals and getting me through the last 2 months...….it has been difficult for me, and I am sure all of you with no Canucks in the playoffs.

This week should be very interesting, and it has started out with a great trade? Domi for Galchenyuk...great debate anyways...lol We shall see what else falls out of the trees!

The up and coming draft sure has brought some interesting posts and suggestions. I don't think I have ever been as confused as to who we should draft as this year. but 1 thing I am certain, is that at # 7 OA, we are going to get one hell of a prospect...……"IF" we keep it! LOL

No doubt, it will be a fun week...………..enjoy! 

I will admit, I've been looking forward to this week and weekend after this one for quite awhile, and I'm hoping to see some exquisite draft floor action.  With our cap space, a stable full of promising young forward prospects, it is our chance to round out the organisation and get a defense prospect that will be around for years to come.  Not since Luc Bourdon have we had a chance to have such promising talent on the back end.  

Oh, and did I mention the intrigue leading up to this draft?  We've had the swap of struggling prospects in the Montreal/Arizona trade, which I hope is the prelude to many more.  What will Edmonton do?  Ottawa is a hot mess, do they clean house?  Montreal, do they keep their pick, or do they load up and trade down as what they still need is a freaking center!  Does Chicago use this opportunity to clean house of a bad contract?  And we won't mention the wild cards that are Carolina and Florida!  Come on draft time.

I'm soo looking forward to the draft! I heard they are debuting new 3rd jerseys at the draft too! 

i feel like we have a couple of players we could trade for more picks. Gagner/Del Zotto/Sutter etc. exciting times :frantic:

if we get one of Wahlstrom/Dobson/Tkachuk/Huges I would be ecstatic.

I'll add that the next 2.5 weeks should be excellent, though the draft is the highlight of course. Prospects camps is always lots of fun too, I really enjoy the features the canucks film (last year, the whistler scavenger hunt, for example) and moments like EP showing off his moves in the prospects game last year. Also have Free Agency on July 1st I believe.

My wishlist:

DAY 1: "With the 7th overall pick in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft the Vancouver Canucks select from the Acadie Bathurst Titan, Noah Dobson."

DAY 2: "I have a trade to announce -- you're gonna wanna hear this: The Vancouver Canucks trade Chris Tanev and the 37th overall selection in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft to Toronto for Timothy Liljegren and Toronto's 2nd Round Selection in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft."  CDC crashes moments later.

Hopefully someone drops into JB`s loving arms, but if not we`ll still grab a huge building block. Also hope we can pluck another "Cole Lind " (on D) with the second. Would be great to garner some extra picks over the next year heading into the 2019 draft in Van. Life is but a dream, dream , dream , dream...

i'ld like to see them pick up jay beagle. he's another sutter and would  make moving suts more palitable. or you could slide him on a line with him and have a super shut down line.  with beagle, we could move sutter up to the second line centre spot till pettersson is ready to play there.  having another good PKer wouldn't hurt either. 

we'll probably draft a D-man but  may need to pick up one via trade or FA. our defence hasn't been good enough but we might be forced to play them for one more year. 

our defense and 2nd line, scare me a little. 

if the hockey god is listening, i hope she smiles upon us. 

9 hours ago, hammertime said:

Ottawa needs to clean house Fire Dorian, trade Hoffaman and Karlsson and burn it to the ground. 

Karlsson and 2nd to Colorado for the Sens 1rst, Jost and Barrie, maybe...or something else going back, but the #1 for sure.

I hope the Canucks stick to rebuilding and don't sign over priced or old FA's to long term clause contracts. One more dismal season and the team will/should have a very solid group of top level picks, prospects and oodles of cap space for pursuing really good FAs or making a really bold trade or two. 1rst and 2nd picks this year should be really good and ditto for next year.

This year go for the dman, Dobson should be available, Bouchard might be, Boqvist will need too much time to develop and he is supposed to be a little lax in his own zone, regardless of what people think Hughes is a little small, whatever both Dobson and Bouchard are closer to being NHL ready.

Next year, after one more dismal season with the draft in Vancouver, maybe the Canucks hear something good.

35 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i'ld like to see them pick up jay beagle. he's another sutter and would  make moving suts more palitable. or you could slide him on a line with him and have a super shut down line.  with beagle, we could move sutter up to the second line centre spot till pettersson is ready to play there.  having another good PKer wouldn't hurt either. 

we'll probably draft a D-man but  may need to pick up one via trade or FA. our defence hasn't been good enough but we might be forced to play them for one more year. 

our defense and 2nd line, scare me a little. 

if the hockey god is listening, i hope she smiles upon us. 

he'd be an excellent pick up. He's solidify the bottom 6 C's, he can take over the 3C duties and mentor Gaudette, and Gaunce and Gagner can share 4C duties. That would allow Sutter to fill in as our 2C as Pettersson learns his game. It would be a decent transition plan and we wouldn't have to go crazy over-spending on someone like Bozak. 

13 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

he'd be an excellent pick up. He's solidify the bottom 6 C's, he can take over the 3C duties and mentor Gaudette, and Gaunce and Gagner can share 4C duties. That would allow Sutter to fill in as our 2C as Pettersson learns his game. It would be a decent transition plan and we wouldn't have to go crazy over-spending on someone like Bozak. 

i agree. 

30 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

You know this mentoring thing can be a little over blown and misunderstood. While the game is harder and requires more attention to detail, it isn't like these kids have never played the game before or even faced high pressure situations, where they really need the mentoring is off the ice and that doesn't exactly happen with a married 29 yr old and single 20 yr old, unless they are billeting. All these pro's can do at the rink is show the kids how to be professional whether winning or losing. That is something a coach is supposed to impart as well.

The Plan.  

Archived