The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

This should be an interesting Week (Discussion)

14 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

You know this mentoring thing can be a little over blown and misunderstood. While the game is harder and requires more attention to detail, it isn't like these kids have never played the game before or even faced high pressure situations, where they really need the mentoring is off the ice and that doesn't exactly happen with a married 29 yr old and single 20 yr old, unless they are billeting. All these pro's can do at the rink is show the kids how to be professional whether winning or losing. That is something a coach is supposed to impart as well.

The Plan.  

sure, but Beagle plays hard, just having him on a line with Gaudette is a real bonus imo for AG to see the effort the pro game needs. It can be overblown but Boeser and Vanek were a good example of the kind of mentoring I'm talking about. 

We will have our 7'th pick selected (not traded) as Tanev remains on the roster by Sunday June 24.

Benning said he will draft the best player, that would arguably be Wahlstrom if he's still available.

22 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Hi Everyone

Well, we are getting closer, and I just want to thank everyone for putting up with my proposals and getting me through the last 2 months...….it has been difficult for me, and I am sure all of you with no Canucks in the playoffs.

This week should be very interesting, and it has started out with a great trade? Domi for Galchenyuk...great debate anyways...lol We shall see what else falls out of the trees!

The up and coming draft sure has brought some interesting posts and suggestions. I don't think I have ever been as confused as to who we should draft as this year. but 1 thing I am certain, is that at # 7 OA, we are going to get one hell of a prospect...……"IF" we keep it! LOL

No doubt, it will be a fun week...………..enjoy! 

Lets say Dahlin, Svech & Zadina go 1,2,3???

Boqvist, Bouchard, Dobson & Hughes is the message. Its impossible for us not to get a premium PMD, perhaps Dobson is a hybrid, but he's the best defensively & he's 6'3''.

7th overall is a no lose scenario. Probably even have a choice of 2, maybe 3 if Kotkaniemi comes into play, among them?

Why be confused?  :lol: 

17 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

7th overall is a no lose scenario. Probably even have a choice of 2, maybe 3 if Kotkaniemi comes into play, among them?

This is the worst case scenario.

7 hours ago, Pears said:

Absolute dream scenario that’s actually looking like a legit possibility right now:

”Vancouver select, from Halifax of the QMJHL, Filip Zadina.”

And this may be the best?

We would be fully armed to trade for a PMD. Tanev + a 2knd for example, which might even be overpaying, should get Honka out of Dallas?  

Pettersson, Gaudette, Horvat, Gadjovich, Sutter, Lind, Boeser, Zadina, Virtanen, Dahlen, Ericsson & at the question end Baertschi, Leipsic, Goldobin, Gaunce, Granlund.  Only LE, MG, & Sutt's over 25. 

Or even better, armed with that forward core moving forward, sign Green or Carlson.

I think the dream scenario would be to get a couple of more first round picks in this year’s deep draft. I would trade Tanev not because he’s terrible but because some teams may overpay for him thinking that he may be the final piece of their Stanley Cup puzzle.

Toronto makes the most sense. Tanev could be the centrepiece in a trade (with Hutton, Baertschi, Goldobin or whoever) for Gardiner and the #25 pick. Gardiner could then be flipped to Edmonton along with Brandon Sutter and a lower pick for #10 overall.

I think this trade benefits all three teams:

Toronto gets their righthanded shut-down defender.

Edmonton gets their power play quarterback and shut down penalty-killing Center.

Vancouver gets four of the first thirty seven picks in the draft including two in the top ten. Dobson and Wahlstrom could both be ours. Beagle or Riley Nash could be signed as a stopgap replacement for Sutter.

Sorry to throw another Tanev trade proposal out there but I really believe that draft picks are more valuable to the Canucks at this stage than veteran defencemen.

18 hours ago, Pears said:

Absolute dream scenario that’s actually looking like a legit possibility right now:

”Vancouver select, from Halifax of the QMJHL, Filip Zadina.”

Hard to believe he will slip that far, but Valardi went 11 last year and was a top five (if not 3-4) consensus guy so you never know.  BT is the one I think will slip if MTL stays and gets their center.

8 hours ago, Schmautzie said:

I think the dream scenario would be to get a couple of more first round picks in this year’s deep draft. I would trade Tanev not because he’s terrible but because some teams may overpay for him thinking that he may be the final piece of their Stanley Cup puzzle.

Toronto makes the most sense. Tanev could be the centrepiece in a trade (with Hutton, Baertschi, Goldobin or whoever) for Gardiner and the #25 pick. Gardiner could then be flipped to Edmonton along with Brandon Sutter and a lower pick for #10 overall.

I think this trade benefits all three teams:

Toronto gets their righthanded shut-down defender.

Edmonton gets their power play quarterback and shut down penalty-killing Center.

Vancouver gets four of the first thirty seven picks in the draft including two in the top ten. Dobson and Wahlstrom could both be ours. Beagle or Riley Nash could be signed as a stopgap replacement for Sutter.

Sorry to throw another Tanev trade proposal out there but I really believe that draft picks are more valuable to the Canucks at this stage than veteran defencemen.

I'm all for trading Tanev, but we need a top d prospect or to draft one to replace him, we need another D anyways this year, id draft Dobson/Smith-Wilde in this scenario, or if possible Bouchard and Dobson (then we'd have both and the debate of who's better will truly be ON, our team).   

That said what you propose would be nice too, and Benning might pick a forward anyways if he truly means to pick BPA and there is someone who's slipped to us.

On 2018-06-17 at 12:51 PM, 6string said:

We will have our 7'th pick selected (not traded) as Tanev remains on the roster by Sunday June 24.

Benning said he will draft the best player, that would arguably be Wahlstrom if he's still available.

Whalstroms a great prospect no doubt but I sure hope Benning addressess our defense and there surely will be some great options available.  If Hughes is still there it would be hard to pass up on him,  he's arguably quite a bit better than McAvoy at the same time in his development.   If he's not strong enough to play solid defense you could always put him upfront too.   Bouchard and Dobson would be great picks too.  

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

Whalstroms a great prospect no doubt but I sure hope Benning addressess our defense and there surely will be some great options available.  If Hughes is still there it would be hard to pass up on him,  he's arguably quite a bit better than McAvoy at the same time in his development.   If he's not strong enough to play solid defense you could always put him upfront too.   Bouchard and Dobson would be great picks too.  

Agreed, the rebuild needs some input for our defense.

Archived