The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] C/RW Kevin Hayes could be in play

Rush17

"Chances are that if the Rangers make a substantial move leading into Friday’s first round of the entry draft in Dallas, it will involve Kevin Hayes. Multiple sources report the 26-year-old impending Group II free-agent center has attracted significant interest from around the league as general manager Jeff Gorton sifts through various scenarios both connected to and independent of improving the club’s ninth-overall position."

https://nypost.com/2018/06/16/inside-the-rangers-makeover-mindset-with-nhl-draft-at-hand/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons

Found a post on HF boards talking about this. Do you guys feel Hayes might be a good fit to play with Pettersson? 

Perhaps we could look at the 7th + a small add for 9th + Hayes.

VAN
9th + Hayes

NYR
7th overall + ??

Thoughts?

hmmm.... I don't know that 9th to 7th is going to be a big enough draw for them, we'd have to add a lot to get Hayes.  I'm not sure how we don't get out of this one without overpaying.

I'd like to get the 26th or 28th out of them... not sure what deal could make that happen either! :P

He's a good player, and Gorton is just doing his due diligence in listening to offers on him.  I'd think everyone but 5 guys are available on that roster, for the right price.  He isn't afraid to make a move, and can survive the process of acclimating prospects to the NHL as he has superstar goaltending to cover a myriad of growing pains.

I created a poll on twitter if you wish to vote.  Click here

Q: (Hayes had 25G, 19A, & 44 points last season)  NYR wants to use him to move up from 9 in the draft.  Should we get him? (swap 1sts +) #NHLDraft

A's:

50%Yes, Absolutely

25%He can protect Pettersson

00%if Jim thinks so

25%Pass

Poll is only a few minutes old.

15 minutes ago, Solinar said:

and if He wants to move up a couple of spots to get a player he wants that he's afraid to lose out on, I could see him packaging Hayes and the 9th to sweeten the pot.

I'm thinking... Baerstchi? replace a winger who averages 20 a season (if healthy) for a Center (who fills a need) and scored 25 this year?  

Not sure they would go for that tho.

14 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I'm thinking... Baerstchi? replace a winger who averages 20 a season (if healthy) for a Center (who fills a need) and scored 25 this year?  

Not sure they would go for that tho.

Doesn't make any sense for NYR.  They are rebuilding and are looking for prospects and picks.

7 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Just get a UFA without trading anything.

UFA's cost big $$ - Could sell him on a lengthy extension to play with Pettersson.  He is an RFA and only 26 years old.  In context...

Horvat is: 22

Baerstchi is: 25

Hutton is: 25

Leipsic is: 24

Gaunce is: 24

He would fit in that older core group.  Be a great 2nd or 3rd line C. swap him and Sutter around. I think he would do exceptionally well with Pettersson.

Check his highlights: tall, lanky, apparently is a great physical deterrent but he can stand up for himself. Could help keep an eye out for Pettersson although not a big fighter.  

Sutter is 29.

Edler is 31.

I could see Hayes as a good older leader and i think he would fit in well with Sutter well he's here.

Eh, he's an interesting piece but not something I'd be willing to pay for just yet. He's a piece I'd want as a playoff regular or as a contender. At this point I'd still be looking at drafting our own guys and guys in their early twenties.

1 minute ago, mll said:

Doesn't make any sense for NYR.  They are rebuilding and are looking for prospects and picks.

7th + 2019 2nd for 9th + Hayes

Move assets in the regular season to recoup lost 2nd. I am really high on this guy lol.  I know some fans would be like halt those breaks.. Jim get a 2nd? but it can be done.

10 minutes ago, mll said:

i thought baer was already slated to be traded to the other 29 teams

for a variety of return in about 100 other proposals

is he even canuck property anymore ?

:P

Archived