The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] C/RW Kevin Hayes could be in play

Rush17

depends on whats available at 7th one of the D or Brady Tkatchuk.. i take any one of those than whatever's available at 9th + hayes.. by the time canucks are revelant 3-4 years he'll be at the tail end of his prime.. and this team's not exactly in a position where they can afford to give up drafting a higher end prospect to trade down to get a 25-26 year old player that most likely won't factor into the future.

6 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

depends on whats available at 7th one of the D or Brady Tkatchuk.. i take any one of those than whatever's available at 9th + hayes.. by the time canucks are revelant 3-4 years he'll be at the tail end of his prime.. and this team's not exactly in a position where they can afford to give up drafting a higher end prospect to trade down to get a 25-26 year old player that most likely won't factor into the future.

If Tkachuk falls to 7th, then there are some surprises that may have happened in the picks ahead of us (considering some have him ranked as high as 3), so I imagine that would push one of the dmen down to 9th. Kotkaniemi is getting buzz for a top 10 pick and now there are rumblings about Kravtsov and some others as well that could drop some of those dmen even more giving us more to choose from.

As for Hayes, he holds onto the 2nd line center spot until hopefully Pettersson or Gaudette is ready to take that spot. Hayes may or may not be part of the future successful team in the future, but he would help contribute towards it. I don't think the drop from 7th to 9th is enough of a concern of losing a top end prospect.

5 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Just get a UFA without trading anything.

Exactly, simpler the better. Easier to cut your losses. Besides we just need fill ins for now while our young guys develop.

Even on Bearscti there's a chance we get burned, who knows who is going to break out?

8 hours ago, Rush17 said:

"Chances are that if the Rangers make a substantial move leading into Friday’s first round of the entry draft in Dallas, it will involve Kevin Hayes. Multiple sources report the 26-year-old impending Group II free-agent center has attracted significant interest from around the league as general manager Jeff Gorton sifts through various scenarios both connected to and independent of improving the club’s ninth-overall position."

https://nypost.com/2018/06/16/inside-the-rangers-makeover-mindset-with-nhl-draft-at-hand/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons

Found a post on HF boards talking about this. Do you guys feel Hayes might be a good fit to play with Pettersson? 

Perhaps we could look at the 7th + a small add for 9th + Hayes.

VAN
9th + Hayes

NYR
7th overall + ??

Thoughts?

Lets assume the + is Granlund. I'll do that deal if its guaranteed that either Dobson, Bouchard, Walhstrom or Tkachuk are available at 9th which could be a possibilty. The Kotekemi (whatever his name is) going higher seems to be gaining traction. I'd only stay at 7th if by for some strange turn of events, needle in a haystack chance that Zadina is there at 7th

9 hours ago, rekker said:

Is this guy one of those NCAA players that didn't sign with the team that drafted him? Chicago? Signed with the Rangers instead? Wonder if the Canucks showed interest back then.

When Kevin was coming out of college, there wasn't much room in the Hawks forward group for Hayes to crack the line-up.  Not to mention his defensive play was not very good which would put a player perennially in Q's doghouse.  His brother Jimmy had literally just bolted from Chicago to Boston for those exact reasons when it was Kevin's turn to sign.  

He knew he had a limited future in Chicago and he made the right choice for himself. 

4 hours ago, skolozsy2 said:

When Kevin was coming out of college, there wasn't much room in the Hawks forward group for Hayes to crack the line-up.  Not to mention his defensive play was not very good which would put a player perennially in Q's doghouse.  His brother Jimmy had literally just bolted from Chicago to Boston for those exact reasons when it was Kevin's turn to sign.  

He knew he had a limited future in Chicago and he made the right choice for himself. 

Figured something along those lines. Was more curious if the Canucks were one of the teams that were after him when he was able to sign anywhere he wanted.

I thought WE were rebuilding.

Jeez if NY are willing to put Hayes in play to move up from 9th why would we help them. Unlike many on here I don't see Baertschi or Gaunce or Gaudette or anyone else in play.

Hayes 44 in 74, Baertschi 35 in 68 and a year younger. I wouldn't loose 2 places for 4 goals. 

If we are talking about someone like Boucher fine but we all know we would have to be offering 3rd for anyone to take him.

6 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Just sign him in the offseason? Why trade for him? What’s he worth, the Erhoff special of like a 5th rounder? I’d do that. For a few extra weeks of negotiating. 

He an RFA unfortunately.  So NYR has sole rights unless we opt to offersheet him. Which wouldn't make sense since will need our picks given we are hosting the 2019 draft.

14 hours ago, mll said:

Doesn't make any sense for NYR.  They are rebuilding and are looking for prospects and picks.

i agree, it doesnt make sense.  if the Rangers want to move him it could be for a reason.  Bad habits, asking for too much to resign.  may be better off passing on this one.

42 minutes ago, 2011 said:

i agree, it doesnt make sense.  if the Rangers want to move him it could be for a reason.  Bad habits, asking for too much to resign.  may be better off passing on this one.

Believe it i read somewhere it may of been this part.  

17 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

hmmm.... I don't know that 9th to 7th is going to be a big enough draw for them, we'd have to add a lot to get Hayes.  I'm not sure how we don't get out of this one without overpaying.

I'd like to get the 26th or 28th out of them... not sure what deal could make that happen either! :P

Jimmy, really depends who is there at 7.   If BT is still there I think the Rangers bite but I also think that if the Canucks passed on BT for Hayes it would be an error.

4 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Jimmy, really depends who is there at 7.   If BT is still there I think the Rangers bite but I also think that if the Canucks passed on BT for Hayes it would be an error.

theres a rumour that Benning is looking to trade for speed.... maybe a deal for Kreider could be part of swapping picks? we'd have to ship someone out as part of it but maybe?

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

theres a rumour that Benning is looking to trade for speed.... maybe a deal for Kreider could be part of swapping picks? we'd have to ship someone out as part of it but maybe?

I think the entire draft hinges on what Montreal does at no. 3.   If they go with a center versus the BPA (a term that is overused but in this case, it would be hard to see a C as a BPA), then what falls to 7 could range from a BT to a Zadina to a Boqvist let alone a Hughes, Dobson etc.     The thought of Zadina not going in top 3 even a few weeks ago seemed very odd to me but I can now see that scenario exactly.

9 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I think the entire draft hinges on what Montreal does at no. 3.   If they go with a center versus the BPA (a term that is overused but in this case, it would be hard to see a C as a BPA), then what falls to 7 could range from a BT to a Zadina to a Boqvist let alone a Hughes, Dobson etc.     The thought of Zadina not going in top 3 even a few weeks ago seemed very odd to me but I can now see that scenario exactly.

I don't know if we want Hayes or Kreider?  Teams that win Cups develop a core of their own picks, don't they?  I see both those guys as kind of those average peripheral players.  I guess it's okay to get them, but only if the cost is not much.  I certainly wouldn't give up #7, and a shot a Boqvist for either of those two.  

56 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don't know if we want Hayes or Kreider?  Teams that win Cups develop a core of their own picks, don't they?  I see both those guys as kind of those average peripheral players.  I guess it's okay to get them, but only if the cost is not much.  I certainly wouldn't give up #7, and a shot a Boqvist for either of those two.  

If Canucks see that they will get what they want in the Ranger's slot PLUS a quality player who can help now, I think they would be nuts not to consider it.  There likely is very little talent differential in the draft slots 5 to 10 this year (some argue 4 to 15, some narrower window...you get the point though).   No question some of this draft class will develop sooner and make some feel they could have selected differently but, in the end, this draft won't really play out for at least 3 to 5 years at a minimum so if you get someone roughly equivalent now plus another asset, why not consider it?    

8 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

If Canucks see that they will get what they want in the Ranger's slot PLUS a quality player who can help now, I think they would be nuts not to consider it.  There likely is very little talent differential in the draft slots 5 to 10 this year (some argue 4 to 15, some narrower window...you get the point though).   No question some of this draft class will develop sooner and make some feel they could have selected differently but, in the end, this draft won't really play out for at least 3 to 5 years at a minimum so if you get someone roughly equivalent now plus another asset, why not consider it?    

Exactly. From all the smoke and rumours it seems JB has made it be known he is open for business regarding the number seven pick. And why not? Can always say no. I can't wait till Friday when the cameras are on the Canucks draft table and on the clock.

7 hours ago, alfstonker said:

I thought WE were rebuilding.

Jeez if NY are willing to put Hayes in play to move up from 9th why would we help them. Unlike many on here I don't see Baertschi or Gaunce or Gaudette or anyone else in play.

Hayes 44 in 74, Baertschi 35 in 68 and a year younger. I wouldn't loose 2 places for 4 goals. 

If we are talking about someone like Boucher fine but we all know we would have to be offering 3rd for anyone to take him.

You do realize Hayes is a centerman with size that took a large portion of the draws and was above 50%, plus is their top PK forward and plays 2nd unit PP right? That's certainly a lot more than Baertschi contributes on top of his offensive output. For 2 spots where there will still likely be a decent player available, I think he would be a solid 2nd line centerman. Also takes pressure off Horvat on the defensive end of things and to focus on offense. Also would give us the option to consider moving Sutter if Gaudette is ready for a 3rd line role.

A move like this would contribute to our rebuild.

Archived