The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Sports & Entertainment acquires National Lacrosse League team

On 2018-06-21 at 11:08 AM, Rush17 said:

Got a name suggestion?

Francesco is seeking fan advice. :)

I just got a chat request from the Canucks' chat bot.  They were looking for feedback on team names.

Apparently the top names they are considering are:

Blackfins

Kodiaks

Warriors

Rainmakers

Totems

Eagles

I'm not really a fan of any of those.  Personally, I would like to see them bring back the Ravens name, but maybe there are some copyright issues there?

• 3 weeks later...

Vancouver's NLL team announces lacrosse operations roles:

Vancouver, B.C. (July 12th 2018) - Vancouver's new National Lacrosse League team added more British Columbia talent to its management and coaching staff today. Ken Thomas has been appointed Assistant General Manager, Rory MacDade and Clayton Richardson have been named Assistant Coaches and Dan Perreault Assistant Video Coach. The new lacrosse management and coaching staffs are now complete with the previous appointments of Dan Richardson as General Manager and Chris Gill as Head Coach.

"I am excited to have such a strong leadership group with deep roots in the local lacrosse community and with decades of coaching and management experience at the highest levels," said Dan Richardson. "With the appointment of Ken, Rory, Clayton and Dan to our staff, Chris and I are confident that our newly assembled team will bring the great lacrosse fans of Vancouver an entertaining team they can be proud of."

Thomas joins the new Vancouver franchise after having previously served as Assistant General Manager with the New Westminster Sr Salmonbellies under Dan Richardson. A member of the Canadian Lacrosse Hall of Fame, Thomas had a decorated playing career that included a Mann Cup in 2001 and a top ten finish in WLA scoring in five seasons.

MacDade joins the new Vancouver franchise from the New Westminster Sr Salmonbellies where he served as Head Coach in 2018. He was also a member of the Minnesota Swarm coaching staff in 2015 and coached the Burnaby Lakers for another four seasons. In his new role, MacDade will be responsible for the team's offensive schemes.

Richardson joins the new Vancouver franchise after having served as Assistant General Manager and defensive coach of the Stealth for three seasons (2014-16). He helped the New Westminster Salmonbellies capture the WLA Championship four times as a player and also appeared in four Mann Cup Championships. In his new role, Richardson will be responsible for the team's defensive schemes.

In addition to their coaching responsibilities, both Richardson and Head Coach Chris Gill are also first responders in the City of Vancouver as Richardson is a member of the Vancouver Police while Gill is a member of the Vancouver Fire department.

Perreault joins the new Vancouver franchise as Assistant Video Coach. He previously served as Head Coach of the Stealth from 2014 to 2016 and was an Assistant Coach with the club for two seasons prior to that. A member of the Canadian Lacrosse Hall of Fame, Perreault had a decorated career that included more than 500 points over 10 WLA seasons as well as two Minto Cups.

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/info/lacrosse/lacrosseoperations

• 2 months later...

Ryan Henderson

@RJHenderson7

Aka Big Ry the Twitter Guy - Producer of the TSN 1040 Midday Show with Donnie & The Moj - Sports + Music are my Bio - Views are my own.

Surrey, BC, Canada
Joined July 2009

DnfhUoTU4AAaBOo.jpg:thumb

DnfExbaW4Ak6WeE.jpg:thumb

DnaBDs0UYAA9oO3.jpg:thumb

DmopOduU8AAwvLg.jpg:thumb

DmiWCGFU8AAcbot.jpg:thumb

Dl9IWWJUUAA3dfW.jpg:thumb

Tweets

Thumbs up from me on the Vancouver Warriors look.

3 replies0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

2.  Ryan Henderson Retweeted

The Vancouver Warriors website has launched. Looks like a black and tan color scheme. #NLL http://vancouverwarriors.com/ 

3 replies3 retweets3 likes

Retweet

3.  Ryan Henderson Retweeted

It’s official! Vancouver’s new Vegas-esque lacrosse team is called the Warriors. More tonight at 6 on ⁦@CTVVancouver#NLL

Dnow7hXVsAA013k.jpg
    5 replies6 retweets8 likes

Retweet

On 2018-09-23 at 3:47 AM, Dave "The Hammer" Schultz said:

love the new jersey and name, hope they do well ....and i may even go to a game and see if i can get into lacrosse

Yeah. My wife and I are thinking the same thing and possibly looking into going to a game this year. I hope they do well. 

• 2 months later...

I went to the home opener.

It was an awful experience. Before anyone jumps down my throat about not liking lacrosse, I used to go to Shamrocks games every now and then when I lived in Victoria and enjoyed those a lot.

This had nothing to do with the game itself. The game presentation was horrific. It felt like I had walked into some bush league sports comedy movie like Goon or Semi-Pro. I had no idea that NLL teams blasted terrible remixes of top 40 songs at nightclub level volume WHILE the game was on. It was distracting as hell. The announcer was actually chirping the other team. The majority of the fans in the stadium missed one of the goals because they were walking through the stands trying to get people to scream for a scarf, and the goal wasn't even announced. I genuinely cannot believe this is how a top level sports league conducts their games. I understand Lacrosse isn't the most popular sport so they try gimmicks to bring people in, but catering to the lowest common denominator like this is not a good way to get your game taken seriously. 

14 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

I went to the home owner.

It was an awful experience. Before anyone jumps down my throat about not liking lacrosse, I used to go to Shamrocks games every now and then when I lived in Victoria and enjoyed those a lot.

This had nothing to do with the game itself. The game presentation was horrific. It felt like I had walked into some bush league sports comedy movie like Goon or Semi-Pro. I had no idea that NLL teams blasted terrible remixes of top 40 songs at nightclub level volume WHILE the game was on. It was distracting as hell. The announcer was actually chirping the other team. The majority of the fans in the stadium missed one of the goals because they were walking through the stands trying to get people to scream for a scarf, and the goal wasn't even announced. I genuinely cannot believe this is how a top level sports league conducts their games. I understand Lacrosse isn't the most popular sport so they try gimmicks to bring people in, but catering to the lowest common denominator like this is not a good way to get your game taken seriously. 

NLL has been like that for years even back in the Ravens day, NBA does it too so hardly bush league. 

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

NLL has been like that for years even back in the Ravens day, NBA does it too so hardly bush league. 

I don’t care if the NBA does it. It’s one thing to have music during timeouts and little things to pump the crowd up. Not even playing the goal horn or announcing who scored because you’re too busy screaming “WAR-RIORS, WAR-RIORS” into the mic and chirping the opposing goalie is as bush-league as it gets. If people are into that it’s fine but I certainly won’t be heading back.

18 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

I don’t care if the NBA does it. It’s one thing to have music during timeouts and little things to pump the crowd up. Not even playing the goal horn or announcing who scored because you’re too busy screaming “WAR-RIORS, WAR-RIORS” into the mic and chirping the opposing goalie is as bush-league as it gets. If people are into that it’s fine but I certainly won’t be heading back.

Not for everybody but I've had positive experiences every Ravens and Stealth game I've been too and will be going back in January for the San Diego game 

• 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Was at tonight’s game great atmosphere great crowd definitely going again next chance I'm back here. 

54231E5B-F1A0-4B3E-9996-A32ACD52B19B.jpeg

Plan to check out a game in Feb hopefully. My bro is a massive lacrosse fan. We didn't have a league when I was young enough to play :(

How much for those seats?

• 2 weeks later...

Would like to see some games on tv. 

My nephews are big Lacrosse fans but live too far away to be able to watch.

I'd love to watch the Warriors too. 

A recent move to the island prevents me from attending a lot.

Exposing the game to more people should be a priority and is essential to expanding a fanbase.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/18/2018 at 1:37 PM, Where'd Luongo? said:

Have fun getting your *** kicked by the Saskatchewan Rush! (in attendance as well, 13500 fans per game)

I love going to Rush games, was fortunate enough to play a bunch of gigs during the first season after they'd moved from Edmonton.

I've seen games there with over 15K in attendance 

3 hours ago, falcon45ca said:

I love going to Rush games, was fortunate enough to play a bunch of gigs during the first season after they'd moved from Edmonton.

I've seen games there with over 15K in attendance 

Yea they are really fun, I've been at those games and I have seen them win 2 championships live!

So are you in the band that played their theme song? I remember them having a stage setup with a band playing. 

Archived