The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Barry Trotz stepping down as Capitals head coach

Statement from the Washington Capitals on Barry Trotz:

Barry Trotz informed the organization today of his decision to resign as head coach of the Washington Capitals. We are obviously disappointed by Barry's decision, but would like to thank Barry for all his efforts the past four years and for helping bring the Stanley Cup to Washington. Barry is a man of high character and integrity and we are grateful for his leadership and for all that he has done for our franchise.

https://www.nhl.com/capitals/news/statement-from-the-washington-capitals-on-barry-trotz/c-299100932

Per Elliotte Friedman via Twitter:

"We had believed Trotz was a free agent this summer. That’s not correct. There was a two-year extension if he won the Cup in WASH. But, as coaches’ contracts have exploded in value, it was below the current market. Both sides tried to negotiate an extension, but they could not come to terms. Trotz is now a free agent, as WASH will grant permission to other teams who want to talk to him."

Barry Trotz statement:

Df_u5G4UYAAVqYl.jpg:large

3 minutes ago, awalk said:

They have an excellent coaching staff and can now promote Reirden into the head coach spot.  This is probably the best thing for both sides in the long run.

Can?  I bet that was the plan all along.  He was promoted from assistant coach to associate coach, apparently without any consultation from Trotz at all.  The Caps had Reirden all lined up to take over when Trotz's contract ran out and then Trotz messed things up by coaching the team to a Stanley Cup win.

Predictions:

Barry Trotz to NYI

Todd Reidren becomes the new Capitals head coach (he has been groomed as the next guy for awhile and is the "Associate Coach"). If not Todd Reirden, I assume Troy Mann (Hershey Bear's head coach) will get the job. Doubt the Caps hire an external candidate.

Just now, mll said:

Ah, that explains that. 

Personally, I would have renegotiated with Trotz but if Reirden was the plan all along, then there's not much to be done and I'm sure Trotz will get a hefty raise from one of the many teams who will come calling. 

Archived