The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Barry Trotz stepping down as Capitals head coach

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Talking to the media and fans is literally the last thing a coach should be hired to do.

So all players in Montreal are fully fluent in French? I doubt it.

you're delusional if you don't think p.r. and the appearance of accountability are a huge priority for every important hire in professional sports. 

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Can't agree with you here.  Vigneault is a great coach - coaches the modern game - is far better with players than the predecessors - DESPITE being French, I think he'd be a great candidate in Montreal - with few equals out there, particularly available.

Edmonton should really pony up to land Trotz, but I doubt they have the sense.

Doubt AV wants to go to Montreal.  He'll wait until a better gig pops up.

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Doubt AV wants to go to Montreal.  He'll wait until a better gig pops up.

I don't know what AV wants or doesn't want.

Fire Bergevin.

HIre Fenton (assuming he'd want to go there).

Who then hires AV (assuming he'd want to go there).

35 minutes ago, tas said:

it's a little tough to know that going in, wouldn't you say?

the problem is, even great coaches will routinely be under fire from fans and media. look at babcock in toronto. and you're telling me that when the coach is making decisions you think are stupid, you're going to be content not getting an explanation directly from the horse's mouth? you're not going to be screaming for his head?

I don't scream for coaches heads and nor do I care about their cliche press conference answers. 

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I don't know what AV wants or doesn't want.

Fire Bergevin.

HIre Fenton (assuming he'd want to go there).

Who then hires AV (assuming he'd want to go there).

Bergevin has incriminating pictures of Molson.  That's the only logical explanation for his continued employment.

3 hours ago, tas said:

you're delusional if you don't think p.r. and the appearance of accountability are a huge priority for every important hire in professional sports. 

They are important for sure. In the case of Montreal though, erecting their own self imposed language barrier in order to justify what amounts to an old boys network of incompetent hirings has led to a whole lot of terrible management and coaching for them. So maybe they should try finding the best person for the job and see if that works better.

Reporter caught reacting on live TV after learning Barry Trotz resigned during Senate hearing

Washington Examiner reporter Kelly Cohen was just as shocked as every other Washington Capitals fan on Monday when Barry Trotz surprisingly announced that he would not return to the Capitals as their head coach next season — just weeks after winning their first ever Stanley Cup.

The difference with Cohen, though, is that she was caught on camera.

Cohen was covering a Senate hearing on Monday, and could be clearly seen on camera in the background throughout the entire thing.

Suddenly, she got a notification on her phone about the Trotz news, and was completely floored.

And to make matters worse, Cohen was “literally in the middle of writing a story” about the hearing when she got the news.

“I don’t know why my reaction was so dramatic,” Cohen told the Washington Post.

“Obviously you can’t really talk out loud, because the director of the FBI is probably speaking, and top senators are speaking. So that’s why I had to have that little silent meltdown, which obviously now is not that silent.”

The reporter had some fun with it on Twitter after, too.

“Just found out Barry Trotz has resigned and I just had to have a full on silent meltdown in the middle of this Senate judiciary hearing,” Cohen tweeted.

“Apparently this was caught on camera during the IG hearing and I have no regrets.”

The 27-year-old covers the Justice Department and intelligence topics for the Washington Examiner, according to the Washington Post. She also helps cover local teams for NBC Sports Washington and SB Nation.

“It’s just wild to me that he’s leaving,” Cohen told the Washington Post. “If the hearing was a little more bombshell, I wouldn’t have cared so much in that moment, but because it was kind of slow-moving . . . and it was just such a curve for him to go, I really didn’t see that.”

“It’s really interesting that he wins the Stanley Cup, the first championship for a Washington team in how many years, and he’s gone? That’s crazy to me. You have to appease the person who led your team to that title.”

And while she has embraced her viral fandom pretty well, her mother wasn’t as quick to jump on board.

https://sports.yahoo.com/reporter-caught-reacting-live-tv-learning-barry-trotz-resigned-senate-hearing-032307601.html

Not sure how good of a reporter she is if she had no clue Trotz was going to do this. Still kinda funny though.

On 2018-06-18 at 10:11 PM, Brad Marchand said:

No coach has parlayed one cup and a bunch of international tournaments that a monkey could have coached to gold medals as much Babcock.   Watching his press conferences is worse than the dentist "we got to compete, we got to drive hard, we got to engage" blah blah blah he says twenty things two different ways over and over again.  Sure he's a good coach, but the best?  

15 minutes ago, IBatch said:

No coach has parlayed one cup and a bunch of international tournaments that a monkey could have coached to gold medals as much Babcock.   Watching his press conferences is worse than the dentist "we got to compete, we got to drive hard, we got to engage" blah blah blah he says twenty things two different ways over and over again.  Sure he's a good coach, but the best?  

Agree on Babcock.  Overrated for sure.  

Heard Trotz had a clause in his contract with the Caps, that stated winning the Cup gave him two more years with a 300,000 dollar raise per year.  Trotz wanted to still renegotiate a new contract for way more money.  The Caps said he already had a contract for two more years.  This is why Trotz offered his resignation.  He was not truly a guy without a contract.  

Shouldn't he have to honour his contract?  

On 2018-06-18 at 11:38 PM, wallstreetamigo said:

Seattle is too far off from joining the league i think.

If it wasn't for the CBA looming and the league perhaps deciding to not allow them in until that's done, it's possible they could pay their fee and hire a coach and staff after next season and he ready to play the following one.  They sold out in fifteen minutes during the during their ticket drive and have checker all the boxes the league wants in both ownership, venue and market and reportedly will pay a 650 million dollar expansion fee to get the same expansion rules as Vegas.  I think your right though.  NYI will likely pay Trotz to come in and give him what he deserves.

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Agree on Babcock.  Overrated for sure.  

Heard Trotz had a clause in his contract with the Caps, that stated winning the Cup gave him two more years with a 300,000 dollar raise per year.  Trotz wanted to still renegotiate a new contract for way more money.  The Caps said he already had a contract for two more years.  This is why Trotz offered his resignation.  He was not truly a guy without a contract.  

Shouldn't he have to honour his contract?  

My understanding is his contract was up, I'm not sure of the details of this clause but you'd think he would also have the option not to except the extension given he's followed through with his end of the bargain.  I wonder what they offered him, if rookie unproven guys are making more than him even with the bonus 300k like Tochett, it's perfectly ok in my mind to play the field to get his best pay day yet.  What does Green earn?  Just curious as I don't know.  Trotz reminds me of Lindy Ruff a bit in that he was around for a long time with one team, highly respected, almost won a cup too.  You'd think given his experience he'd be making at least half what the top guys are earning, I was shocked to see that much disparity for a veteran coach. 

Edit:  Green 1 million.  EDM 3 Million A range of guys making 2-2.5.   Yes he's way underpaid for a veteran coach, now one with a cup.  5x5 was fair WSH was foolish to let him go.

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

My understanding is his contract was up, I'm not sure of the details of this clause but you'd think he would also have the option not to except the extension given he's followed through with his end of the bargain.  I wonder what they offered him, if rookie unproven guys are making more than him even with the bonus 300k like Tochett, it's perfectly ok in my mind to play the field to get his best pay day yet.  What does Green earn?  Just curious as I don't know.  Trotz reminds me of Lindy Ruff a bit in that he was around for a long time with one team, highly respected, almost won a cup too.  You'd think given his experience he'd be making at least half what the top guys are earning, I was shocked to see that much disparity for a veteran coach. 

I agree he deserves to paid more, but he did sign the contract, and fully knew the clause about the extra two years.  This is why he had to tender a resignation, and not just let the contract run out.  Yes, he deserves way more money.  

27 minutes ago, rekker said:

So Trotz now has a Stanley Cup like Babcock. But Trotz has a Jack Adams and Babacock has zero. So does he now surpass the "best" coach in the world?

Nah.  He's a good coach, no doubt, but every year someone wins the cup.  Was Sutter or Quenville better than Babcock?  Or were they just lucky enough to be on winning teams?  I'd say Sutter must be up there given his LA teams really weren't that good, yet somehow they won two.  Quick had a lot to do with that too no doubt.  

40 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Nah.  He's a good coach, no doubt, but every year someone wins the cup.  Was Sutter or Quenville better than Babcock?  Or were they just lucky enough to be on winning teams?  I'd say Sutter must be up there given his LA teams really weren't that good, yet somehow they won two.  Quick had a lot to do with that too no doubt.  

Yes. Sutter doesn't get enough credit. Really though the names you have brought up suggest that tagging someone the best coach in the world is a preferance. Difficult to quantify.

Archived