The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Barry Trotz stepping down as Capitals head coach

16 hours ago, Alflives said:

Agree on Babcock.  Overrated for sure.  

Heard Trotz had a clause in his contract with the Caps, that stated winning the Cup gave him two more years with a 300,000 dollar raise per year.  Trotz wanted to still renegotiate a new contract for way more money.  The Caps said he already had a contract for two more years.  This is why Trotz offered his resignation.  He was not truly a guy without a contract.  

Shouldn't he have to honour his contract?  

Well if it's an option, then by resigning he exercised his option to decline. He fulfilled his contract and chose to leave rather than make $1.8 million/yr for the next two years.

12 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

They shoulda paid the man.

MacLellan said that it was term the sticking point - it didn't sound like money was necessarily the concern.  He said that he had hoped they could work out a shorter term deal.   He explained that Trotz had already been with the team 4 years and that adding another 5 would make it 9 and very few coaches last that long with the same team. 

23 hours ago, rekker said:

Could see Trotz going to Seattle. I know he lives in Vernon. He could sign in Seattle this off season as an advisor for the first few years leading to their opening day as their coach. 

Lol. Better keep my day job. Bet I'm still more accurate than Eklund though. 

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Trotz was more loyal to the Predators than he was to the Caps. Then again, when you're a first time Cup champion, you spend whatever it takes to keep your prized coach.

i did not see much loyalty to him by the caps

they set him up to leave this season and already had his replacement on their coaching staff

their plans were foiled when trotz won the cup

as his contract then could be automatically extended at his option

caps then they decided to go really cheap on him and attempt to hold him to an extension salary term

negotiated years ago before coaching salaries escalated

trotz quite rightly said no

and signed for double the annual value for twice as long with the isles

Archived