The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PROPOSAL VAN & PHI

Just read that Philadelphia and Hextall are looking to add a RHD defenseman to their top 4. Went over to HFboards and they already had a discussion going.

Wanted your thoughts on the following:

To PHI

Tanev

To VAN

1st round (14th)

2nd round (50th)

Andrew MacDonald

Too much? Too little? Minor change get this done?

8 minutes ago, sean_p47 said:

Just read that Philadelphia and Hextall are looking to add a RHD defenseman to their top 4. Went over to HFboards and they already had a discussion going.

To PHI

Tanev

To VAN

1st round (14th)

2nd round (50th)

Andrew MacDonald

I would do this.  I am not sure Hextal would though.

27 minutes ago, sean_p47 said:

To PHI

Tanev

To VAN

1st round (14th)

2nd round (50th)

Andrew MacDonald

If the 2nd round pick is payment for us to take on MacDonald's contract then I doubt Philly would make this trade. They could simply buy out MacDonald and save most of his Cap hit without having to give up a 2nd round pick. The Cap hit is in the far right column.

Andrew MacDonald Buyout Details

Cost Calculations
BUYOUT DATE BASE SALARY REMAINING S.BONUS REMAINING YEARS REMAINING BUYOUT LENGTH AGE BUYOUT RATIO TOTAL COST TOTAL SAVINGS ANNUAL COST
Jun 15, 2018 $11,250,000 $0 2 4 31 2/3 $7,500,000 $3,750,000 $1,875,000
Cap Hit Calculations
SEASON BASE SALARY INITIAL CAP HIT ACTUAL COST SAVINGS FINAL CAP HIT
2018-19 $5,500,000 $5,000,000 $1,875,000 $3,625,000 $1,375,000
2019-20 $5,750,000 $5,000,000 $1,875,000 $3,875,000 $1,125,000
2020-21 $0 $0 $1,875,000 -$1,875,000 $1,875,000
2021-22 $0 $0 $1,875,000 -$1,875,000 $1,875,000
TOTAL $11,250,000 $10,000,000 $7,500,000 $3,750,000 $6,250,000

1 hour ago, sean_p47 said:

To PHI

Tanev

To VAN

1st round (14th)

2nd round (50th)

Andrew MacDonald

That 2nd...too much. I could see that deal with a 4th vs the 2nd. Considering the buyout option open for Philly, a 2nd would be really steep. But the 1st...that would be great to have.

1 hour ago, cripplereh said:

probably be a 1st next year so we have two at home and a 4th this year

but then we need a RD

I think the #14 is too high of a pick for Tanev, so I like this idea. Tanev if he performs should help them get into the playoffs so it'll be a lower 1st which they might be okay with. Have the pick lottery protected for their sake. Getting a 4th back this year would replenish that round for us.

Not sure about why they would want to move MacDonald though. He's their assistant captain and they aren't really tight against the cap and he's only signed for a couple of years more. I don't view him as a cap dump type of player for them and he is a RD, so moving him for Tanev doesn't seem very productive for them.

Hextall just last week:  “We look at everything. We’re trying to get better for today without sacrificing. It would be easy to make a deal to make us better. So we could do that, sacrifice a lot of our future. But that’s not going to happen.”

Back in February:  

Hextall reiterated that he is sticking to the plan and looking at the bigger picture.

“We’re not gonna make a deal that makes us a little bit better right now where we give up two young assets, a good young player, a draft pick,” he said. 

“We’re not gonna make deals to go essentially all-in one year,” he continued. When Hextall took over as general manager he set a plan in motion. He’s staying on course. “We can’t forget about the window. We’re not going to mortgage our future to take one run with rentals and stuff. We’re going to do it the seven, eight, ten year way where we feel we’ll be competitive for a long span of time without mortgaging the future.”

They are not in an all-in now mode - they want to progress but he is focused on building for their future.  Tanev is two seasons to UFA.  He's not part of the 7 to 10 year plan.  It's the same reason they moved Schenn at the draft when they saw Frost was available - he is a few years away but they have him for years to come.

52 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I think the #14 is too high of a pick for Tanev, so I like this idea. Tanev if he performs should help them get into the playoffs so it'll be a lower 1st which they might be okay with. Have the pick lottery protected for their sake. Getting a 4th back this year would replenish that round for us.

Not sure about why they would want to move MacDonald though. He's their assistant captain and they aren't really tight against the cap and he's only signed for a couple of years more. I don't view him as a cap dump type of player for them and he is a RD, so moving him for Tanev doesn't seem very productive for them.

Flyers are more likely trying to get pick 7 out of the Canucks - Hextall doesn't sound like he's interested in trading for veterans but rather wants to continue his slow rebuild approach.  

This is the Flyers beat writer Carchidi on Vancouver's pick #7:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/485702611.html

Will Hextall try to move up in the draft to, say, No. 7 overall, a pick that Vancouver is reportedly dangling?

At No. 7, he would have a chance to get a player with a higher upside than at 14. Among the desirable players expected to be there at No.7 are centers Barrett Hayton (Frost’s teammate in juniors) and Jesperi Kotkaniemi, and righthanded defensemen such as Noah Dobson, Evan Bouchard and Adam Boqvist.

Hextall might have to deal Nos. 14 and 19 to get to No. 7. Or perhaps trading No. 14 and a player such as Nic Aube-Kubel, a speedy Phantoms winger who has a chance to make the Flyers at training camp, would get it done.

14 minutes ago, mll said:

Flyers are more likely trying to get pick 7 out of the Canucks - Hextall doesn't sound like he's interested in trading for veterans but rather wants to continue his slow rebuild approach.  

Will Hextall try to move up in the draft to, say, No. 7 overall, a pick that Vancouver is reportedly dangling?

At No. 7, he would have a chance to get a player with a higher upside than at 14. Among the desirable players expected to be there at No.7 are centers Barrett Hayton (Frost’s teammate in juniors) and Jesperi Kotkaniemi, and righthanded defensemen such as Noah Dobson, Evan Bouchard and Adam Boqvist.

Hextall might have to deal Nos. 14 and 19 to get to No. 7. Or perhaps trading No. 14 and a player such as Nic Aube-Kubel, a speedy Phantoms winger who has a chance to make the Flyers at training camp, would get it done.

Could be interesting to get #14 and #19. Depending on how the draft plays out, we could come out of the 1st round with Ty Smith and Kupari/Lundestrom or Veleno and Miller/Wilde which would address a couple of needs for the team. If Zadina somehow drops, or Boqvist and maybe even Kotkaniemi are still on the board, I might rather just keep the 7th overall though.

10 hours ago, mll said:

Considering Benning is better at getting good players with later picks and not as good with top 10 picks, it might be worth it to look depending on who is still available when its the canucks turn to pick. If there is someone the Flyers really want there it might be possible to get 14, 19, and another asset actually. 

I doubt the Flyers would do it though. Worth checking out for Benning.

Archived