The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Nick Kypreos says Canucks have had interest in Mike Hoffman

Rush17

Last proposal I made(before all this messy docu-drama) I'd advocated a deal with Ottawa. Wanted to help them now, to land tasty futures. They have HUGE incentive to(at least) tread water, with the Avs probably holding their 2019 1st.

They should consider giving them THIS yr's #4OA pick, if they're gonna trade away all these key vets.

38 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Rather have Baertschi.

Great team guy that is capable of putting up 40-50 points.

Capable maybe but has never put up over 35. 

I like the cheese but this is a no brainer for me.

Loved your speech by the Way!

36 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If there's truth to this story, it doesn't even come close to Kane and Seguin's issues. They were young players that still had some growing up to do, Hoffman on the other hand is 28.

If what his girlfriend did is true and he's standing behind her, he's just as bad.

If your fiancé or wife had a similar situation, wouldn't you stand by her, despite being in the wrong?

48 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The damage to his reputation is done.

Even if there's no truth to the allegations the media will not let it go. 

We don't need that kind of distraction in the dressing room. We've had our fill of distractions over the last 6 years.

Yeah I’d hold out for Tavares. Similar player without the baggage.

(totally kidding of course)

51 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The damage to his reputation is done.

Even if there's no truth to the allegations the media will not let it go. 

We don't need that kind of distraction in the dressing room. We've had our fill of distractions over the last 6 years.

Not the same thing but I do remember when MDZ was thought to be tainted after the Lisa Ann stalking/perving. Seems to be a fine leader here. 

Make the Trade!

Strike while the value is low. There are a lot of ways that this can play out.

Maybe he leaves her when the truth comes out. Maybe it wasn’t her?There have been a lot of athletes that turn society’s perception of them around. 

Pete Rose, Mike Tyson, Danny Heatley...

I would run the risk of this potentially playing out in our favour if it only cost us a sixth or seventh round pick.

5 minutes ago, shiznak said:

If your fiancé or wife had a similar situation, wouldn't you stand by her, despite being in the wrong?

If she was spitting that kind of stuff about coworkers, damaging my career when I could have my pick of basically any woman I wanted?  Have a nice life, no questions asked.  Someone with that many issues doesn't sound like my idea of someone I'd trust to not try to run off with half my money once I married her.

If this is true, it definitely says something about Hoffman and how he values his teammates.  It's a tough ask to try to get the other guys to make sacrifices for Hoffman when he's bringing someone around the team who's tormenting the wife of the captain and MVP.

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

VAN

Hoffman

(Drops fiancé)

OTT

Baertschi

5.2 million for two years (at age 28) before Hoffman is a UFA.

Imo there would need to be incentive to make a deal like that - ie if Ottawa had their 2nd round pick in this draft, (which they do not.)

Otherwise, we're giving up a younger RFA who has arguably comparable upside and plays comparable minutes - for a couple years of Hoffman and the risk of what comes with that.

Ottawa needs to sweeten imo.

Could see Edmonton offering up Lucic for Hoffman, straight up. Edmonton unloads lucic’s contract and gets a player who can actually keep up with McDavid. Ottawa sheds themselves of the Hoffman drama while receiving a capable (if slow) Top 9 winger. If the deal happens after July 1st then Ottawa also doesn’t have to pay Lucic’s signing bonus this year

29 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Capable maybe but has never put up over 35. 

I like the cheese but this is a no brainer for me.

Loved your speech by the Way!

29 in 53 g is a 45 pt/82 season.   35 in 68 is 42pts/82.

Hoffman averages 55 pts / 82.....but he's also 28, with two years to UFA (at 5.2 million).

Hoffman, however, was a late bloomer, so if you look at him at age 25.....Baertschi isn't quite the no-brainer to give up, given the contract reality and the baggage.

I'd keep the younger RFA without the issues and the greater flexibility around term/future unless Ottawa is willing to sweeten - as under the circumstances this is not a 'hockey trade' imo.

Archived