• Announcements

• StealthNuck

All Threads Must Contain Tags!   07/25/2017

ALL THREADS MUST CONTAIN TAGS   All threads in this forum must contain tags prefixed to topic titles. The purpose of the tags is to eliminate confusion in recent threads lists, and to create an organized and consistent environment. Moderators may immediately lock and thread that does not contain tags.    Tags must be placed at the start of your thread title, following this exact formatting:    [Tag] Thread Title   Here are some of the most used popular tags:    [Proposal]
      A trade, or trades, for next season, or even the off-season.
      [Off-Season]
      FA signings, off-season trades for RFA's, UFA's rights etc...
      [Value Of]
      (A question regarding a players worth, whether from another team, or the Canucks)
      [Speculation] Posting a rumor (with a source of course), but providing why it could be possible for the Canucks to land that player.   [Discussion]
      Thoughts on team trading strategy and composition.   Please feel free to create your own tag if none of these suit your thread.   
Sign in to follow this  
underrated

[Proposal] Islanders Are The Perfect Trade Partner

As we all know, Lou Lamoriello has a couple weeks to prove to John Tavares that he should re-sign.  This is the most important two weeks in the last twenty years of the franchise.  Lou needs to make a move, or two, or three.  Bringing in Trotz may be one of those moves.  However the team clearly needs to improve defensively and in goal.

The Canucks and Islanders are good trade partners.  The Canucks have a couple of veteran defensemen in Tanev and Edler who could be available.  Markstrom may not be an elite goalie, but he's definitely better than what they currently have.  The Canucks have servicable forwards, whether they are looking for a shut down veteran centerman (Sutter), an affordable scoring winger (Baertschi) or other niche roles.  The Canucks may not be trading high end prospects of players, but could definitely help the team.  Plus the Canucks have cap space to offer for some of their bad deals (Clutterbuck $3.5mil, Cizikas $3.35mil, Greiss $3.33mil not including guys with NMC like Ladd $5.5mil and Boychuck $6mil).

The Islanders on the other hand have picks #11 & #12 in this draft, plus they have two second rounders.  They won the Hamonic trade big time with Calgary and now have two firsts and two seconds.  If it looks like they can keep Tavares, I can definitely see them trading at least one, if not both.  They have a few young players who are not elite but hold good trade value like Pulock, Ho-Sang, Beauvillier.  Plus Bellows (who they likely won't trade).  Barzal is off the table.

So...now the main question of my thread.  Based on all this, let's hear your thoughts on what deals could work between the Canucks and Isles.

I think that the Islanders will likely trade for a goalie elsewhere, rather than going for Markstrom.  However in this proposal, I'll suggest they need a goalie like Markstrom.  He could be taken out of this deal along with other pieces taken out.  

(Based on the premise that the Canucks are going full rebuild approach, and want the #1 pick for the 2019 draft at home)

To NYI: Chris Tanev (half salary retained), Brandon Sutter, Jacob Markstrom, 2018  (Total: $10.261mil)

To Vancouver: 2018 1st round pick (#11), 2018 2nd round pick (#43), Joshua Ho-Sang, Ryan Pulock, Casey Cizikas, Cal Clutterbuck, Thomas Greiss (Total: $11.12mil + Pulock RFA)

(If they trade for a goalie like Grubauer elsewhere than Clutterbuck and the 2nd round pick can be taken out of this deal)

Why for NYI: The Islanders in this deal solve three issues around their defensive game.  They upgrade in with a solid stay at home defenseman who effectively fills the vacancy of Hamonic that they traded to Calgary and suffered for.  They add a third line very good veteran centerman who can win draws, and even play higher in the lineup.  They also upgrade their goaltending significantly.  The Islanders then also dump their three worst contracts in return.  Ho-Sang and Pulock are good young players but they can afford to lose both, and they give up the first and second round pick they got for Hamonic to receive a guy very similar to Hamonic.  They don't get elite talent in this deal, but with Tavares taking elite talent cap hit, they get a MUCH more well rounded and capable team without losing any key pieces.  They don't add to their cap hit with this deal, keeping space for Tavares' contract and another UFA signing.

Why for Vancouver: The Canucks add four valuable pieces pieces to the rebuild.  The 11th overall pick is going to be huge, and is clearly the big addition.  There will be lots available, and potentially a player may even fall to us like Wallstrom or Bouchard.  However the other three pieces are also quite good.  #43 is fairly high in the second round, Ho-Sang hasn't quite broken fully into the NHL but is on the cusp, and Pulock is a good young defenseman who instantly takes Tanev's spot in the starting lineup.  Ho-Sang and Pulock make the team next year and are closer to the age range of Bo.  The first and second are added to our farm to develop.  Cizikas, Clutterbuck and Greiss all can be veterans on the team and potentially deadline day assets to trade.  With the trade being fairly equal in cap hit, the Canucks can still sign a UFA, or use cap space elsewhere.

Thoughts?

• Confused 1

A little bit too complicated to become realistic but I don't disagree that they would be a good trade partner 

Tanev 1.5 million retained 

baertcshi

for

clutterbuck  

Clutterbuck still has 4 years at 3.5 but adds character and grit two things vancouver is looking for. Probly has slightly negative value due to contract 

• Upvote 1

One of the firsts has to come back in any Tanev trade.  Don't want Ho-Sang due to attitude issues following him since junior.

I appreciate the time spent on creating this thread but why would the Isle give up some of their better young players and a draft pick for Tanev and a good back-up goalie?  Sutter is a capable veteran but he's a very expensive one for third line production, Tanev is good and his cap hit is fine but it's hard to help a team from the infirmary. 

I wouldn't say they upgrade their goaltending, Greiss has done more (just ask Canada and other teams who have had to face him when playing internationally, he's proven that he can be amazing for stretches) than Markstrom has ever done and I'd say that's a wash at best, not an upgrade.

Pullock and Ho-Sang are great prospects with considerable upside, they barely even qualify as prospects at this point.  That's some ELC that they need.  

If if they were close to contending than this makes some sense, but they are not, and all this does is poach their future for an oft injured but good defensive defenseman, and a good third line center vet that they could find elsewhere or internally for half the cost.  We come out as thieves in this scenario.  I'd trade Tanev for either of their firsts though but they probably would rather use the pick.

I'd love Clutterbuck.. 

Tanev for Clutterbuck and the 11th.

I think that would work quite well. Add in Gagner if they're into it.

• Upvote 3

The Canucks and Islanders are indeed perfect partners:

VAN

Sign Tavares on July 1

Perfect partners.

• Upvote 1

They need a win now goalie and maybe some defensive help. Markstrom (not great but given how bad we were he wasn't terrible either) + Tanev for a cap dump and one of their 1sts, preferably the better one. Maybe throw a B prospect if we can haggle one outta them. Just keep it simple. 

• Upvote 1

I agree that they are a great trade partner

I believe eating some cap and sending back something could easily net us their 11th and 12th OA picks but we'd have to eat that cap and lose a tanner or a solid young player

Posted (edited)

Not bad, but Pulock might end up being the best player in the trade.. So doubt they move him. In fact he's likely due for a huge season in 2018-19.

Edited by Patrick Kane

I'm gonna say no, simply because Clutterbuck ended Brock's rookie campaign.

Although an Isles trade could work.

3 hours ago, underrated said:

To NYI: Chris Tanev (half salary retained), Brandon Sutter, Jacob Markstrom, 2018  (Total: $10.261mil)

To Vancouver: 2018 1st round pick (#11), 2018 2nd round pick (#43), Joshua Ho-Sang, Ryan Pulock, Casey Cizikas, Cal Clutterbuck, Thomas Greiss

Isles take a fat dump all over that proposal.

• Haha 1

Cizikas and Clutterbuck are their top PK forwards, they have the most hits on their team (generally around the tops in the league). Cizikas took the 2nd most draws for them (in only 64 games), likely mostly defensive zone draws and was 53%. They may be slightly overpaid for their overall value, but they have over 28 million in cap space right now and could be more if the cap goes up, so even if they are able to sign Tavares, they will have plenty of space that they aren't concerned about dumping any cap.

Markstrom is not good enough to turn their team around to make this dramatic of a deal. Sutter and Cizikas are a trade off basically. Tanev has value, but Pulock is showing good promise and they may be better hanging on to him in this case, let alone give up their #11 and 2nd rounder as well.