The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposal - Pursuit of a Somewhat Stalled Prospects

As Vegas showed this year, and has been shown many times before in the NHL, there are lots of gems out there that simply need a change of scenery.    Looking around the NHL at players currently seemingly out of the "limelight" with their own teams and needing perhaps a change of scenery to get their once very promising careers on the right track again one sees a few that could make sense for Vancouver to pursue.   They may all be had for a later round pick and would be perhaps better than said pick if even one worked out well.  I have thought about five to ten such players and then iterated down to three:

Nic Petan of the Jets, Mike Dal Colle of the Islanders and Sonny Milano with the Jackets.   Petan is a small kid from Canuck's backyard who was a massive talent in CHL and has owned AHL when he has played at that level.  Dal Colle is a big guy and seemingly just can't catch a break and has lost a ton of confidence....could Green be the guy to get him going?    HIs stats to date in the AHL simply don't match his skill set - this kid needs a change.   Milano is a speedy winger (either side) who has had some NHL success but seemingly isn't in Jackets plans at least over the last half of last year as he seemed an afterthought.

Low risk, potentially high reward.   

Can we get any one of them for our scraps though? We don't have much to give.

We'd have to sweeten the pot to move Boucher, Dowd etc in exchange for any of those guys and I don't think JB should be parting with picks this year.

Maybe Leipsic could go one for one?

Love the idea, just don't know how we'd go about it

Like the idea, but they are all wingers and right now our depth on wing is about as strong as it's ever been. We should be focusing on developing what we have now rather than taking on more projects. I would consider a Goldobin for Milano type deal though.

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

As Vegas showed this year, and has been shown many times before in the NHL, there are lots of gems out there that simply need a change of scenery.    Looking around the NHL at players currently seemingly out of the "limelight" with their own teams and needing perhaps a change of scenery to get their once very promising careers on the right track again one sees a few that could make sense for Vancouver to pursue.   They may all be had for a later round pick and would be perhaps better than said pick if even one worked out well.  I have thought about five to ten such players and then iterated down to three:

Nic Petan of the Jets, Mike Dal Colle of the Islanders and Sonny Milano with the Jackets.   Petan is a small kid from Canuck's backyard who was a massive talent in CHL and has owned AHL when he has played at that level.  Dal Colle is a big guy and seemingly just can't catch a break and has lost a ton of confidence....could Green be the guy to get him going?    HIs stats to date in the AHL simply don't match his skill set - this kid needs a change.   Milano is a speedy winger (either side) who has had some NHL success but seemingly isn't in Jackets plans at least over the last half of last year as he seemed an afterthought.

How about Julius Honka?

I believe he has to clear waivers this year. And they have super rookie Heskainen & John Klingburg as PMD right side defenders, plus RHD Steven Johns.  It may not even matter that Hitchcock is gone???

I personally would love to see Milano and also like Petan. Good get!

Can Petan kill penalties, play defensively? He's fast enough.  My point, I think it would be great to get a lightning quick play making winger. We have at least TWO key pivots, each who lugs hard match ups, who score but don't develop plays. (Horvat, Sutter)  Petan could be the guy that gets other guys on those lines goals! Petan by memory was an awesome distributor & handler of the puck...

Green would know him as well? 

4 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

How about Julius Honka?

I believe he has to clear waivers this year. And they have super rookie Heskainen & John Klingburg as PMD right side defenders, plus RHD Steven Johns.  It may not even matter that Hitchcock is gone???

Can Petan kill penalties, play defensively? He's fast enough.  My point, I think it would be great to get a lightning quick play making winger. We have at least TWO key pivots, each who lugs hard match ups, who score but don't develop plays. (Horvat, Sutter)  Petan could be the guy that gets other guys on those lines goals! Petan by memory was an awesome distributor & handler of the puck...

Heiskanen is a lefty is he not?

We've played this game before. Linden Vey & Adam Clendening looked "stalled", so we traded picks for them, thinking they could make the jump with a fresh start. Turns out we would have been MUCH better off with the picks (McKeown & Forsling).

Most players who look "stalled" aren't merely being mismanaged - most of them simply don't have what it takes.

5 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

How about Julius Honka?

Honka is another good one to pursue.

9 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

You saw the same article I did a couple days ago, eh? :lol:

https://theathletic.com/393869/2018/06/16/if-the-canucks-keep-mining-organizations-these-three-assets-might-be-worth-exploring/

A Vegas comparison is not exactly fair, Vegas players had already made the NHL, none were 3rd or 4th year AHLer's that "caught a break". Also as Vegas did show, attitude, youth, exceptional goal tending and whole team buying into a system can be really successful. Maybe they just won too easily in the first three rounds, maybe it was just their goalie stole a few rounds but they got handled pretty easily by the Caps, the Caps just ran them over and Vegas's smaller players disappeared in the finals. Washington also found a way to negate their speed game.

Trading AHLer's for AHLer's would be a good idea, has this happened or has it been draft picks for AHLer's? 

36 minutes ago, D-Money said:

We've played this game before. Linden Vey & Adam Clendening looked "stalled", so we traded picks for them, thinking they could make the jump with a fresh start. Turns out we would have been MUCH better off with the picks (McKeown & Forsling).

Most players who look "stalled" aren't merely being mismanaged - most of them simply don't have what it takes.

100% - however there are stacks of players as examples who became stars and even in a few instances, superstars.   Ignoring all these stalled players is a strategy but I think if one does their homework, even as Vancouver did with Baer and Granlund prior to acquiring them (neither are stars but are solid NHL players).     Again, look across NHL (Vegas obvious example, many others) and there are dozens of reclaimed players in key roles and more.    Again, you can ignore this path but I think you could do so at your peril....particularly if the cost of the effort isn't high.   Vey and Clendening are certainly cautionary tales - but if that stops you altogether I personally believe that would be a huge mistake.

In the case of the three I noted, all are still ELC.   Giving up on 20-22 year olds is, again in my opinion, not a sustainable management approach.    

56 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

That is hilarious!    I believe I should sue for plagiarism though clearly he was quicker out of the gate.  :lol: To be honest, it wasn't rocket science to look at ELC players who were on sidelines but I had about a dozen on the list to start and could have easily had others than the three I used.....waffling a lot on Dal Colle in particular.   

9 hours ago, luckylager said:

Can we get any one of them for our scraps though? We don't have much to give.

We'd have to sweeten the pot to move Boucher, Dowd etc in exchange for any of those guys and I don't think JB should be parting with picks this year.

Maybe Leipsic could go one for one?

Love the idea, just don't know how we'd go about it

I think any of the three may be had for a third or fourth round pick potentially (plus an AHL roster player) and if canucks can get a few more of those picks, it is a decent risk-reward value that should at least be explored in my opinion....an opinion likely shared by about 0% of anyone else so, hey, let's all see I guess.   :lol:

The trouble is we are already logjammed a bit especially at forward. Trading assets for these guys doesnt work unless we are either trading from our logjam to do it or moving sone of our own players out for other picks, etc.

If there is an opportunity to improve a bit on the guys we have, then look at it. If it means we will be losing someone on waivers tgen its not worth it.

Realistically we need top end talent at firward and D so we should be shooting for a hone run or two.

31 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I think any of the three may be had for a third or fourth round pick potentially (plus an AHL roster player) and if canucks can get a few more of those picks, it is a decent risk-reward value that should at least be explored in my opinion....an opinion likely shared by about 0% of anyone else so, hey, let's all see I guess.   :lol:

Lol, yeah, moving picks won't get you much support on CDC.

It seems to be hit and miss adventure; but if the player is traded for very little, it is worth the gamble.

Petan is a 5'9 C.  Perhaps that is why he has struggled.  I wonder if they have tried him at W?

Dal Cole seems to have regressed from the season before last.  Anyone's guess as to what is going on with him.

Molina had a good showing with Blue Jackets, so I think he makes the team this season.

Honka hasn't lived up to his high praise so far.  He's done well in the AHL and has been called up a couple of times. Still young and has time for development.  I think season might be a breakthrough for him.

2 hours ago, D-Money said:

One guy that looked "stalled" in his development years was Mark Schieffle, good thing the Jets had patience with him. Are they doing the same with Petan? He was a great junior, was Green involved with him in Portland?

11 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

How about Goldy for Milano and Leipsic for Petan. Not sure if Dal Colle is worth it or not, I'd personally stay away.

5 minutes ago, Sedinery33 said:

How about Goldy for Milano and Leipsic for Petan. Not sure if Dal Colle is worth it or not, I'd personally stay away.

Those are the type of risk-reward moves that I think the Canucks should evaluate - yup.   Like you, I am on fence about Dal Colle (perhaps you are not even on fence) but he is so talented and one has to wonder if he can be "fixed".

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

So...would you trade any of these for the players you identified?

• Michael Dipietro
  • Jack Rathbone
  • William Lockwood
  • Nikita Tryamkin's rights

Because that is what Benning has been getting with 3rd/4th round picks. Heck, let's say it's just a 5th/6th, would you trade Palmu? Gaudette? Jasek?

Not every pick pans out, but the odds drop dramatically when you trade them away.

25 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

One guy that looked "stalled" in his development years was Mark Schieffle, good thing the Jets had patience with him. Are they doing the same with Petan? He was a great junior, was Green involved with him in Portland?

Yeah, he sure looked stalled when he toiled in the AHL for... ...zero games.

Scheifele went straight from Junior to the NHL, and as a 20 year-old rookie scored 34 points in 63 games.

So...where exactly are you getting this comparison from? Because it makes no sense at all.

Archived