The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Reid Boucher

cut.jpg

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the club has signed forward Reid Boucher to a one-year, two-way deal.

Boucher, 24, split the 2017.18 season between Vancouver and Utica, recording five points (3-2-5) in 20 games played with the Canucks. He led the Comets in scoring with 46 points through 45 games played (25-21-46) adding 35 penalty minutes. In 132 career NHL games with New Jersey, Nashville and Vancouver, the Lansing, Michigan native has tallied 20 goals, 22 assists (20-22-42) and 18 penalty minutes.

The 5'10", 195-pound forward was named Comets MVP this past season and received AHL Player of the Month honors in January after leading all players with 14 points (9-5-14) through 11 games. Boucher also participated in the 2018 AHL All-Star Classic.

Boucher was acquired by the Canucks from waivers on January 4, 2017. He was selected 99th overall by New Jersey in the 2011 NHL Draft.

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/vancouver-canucks-sign-reid-boucher/c-299115288

7 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

45 seconds since the tweet. You're getting faster.

I'm jacked about this, as a two-way deal, it's a steal. I'm well aware he will require waivers, but the indication that he's willing to play in Utica is a great thing.

Wonder how much Boucher's AHL salary is if he agreed to a new contract so quickly.

6 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I really like Boucher. I hope he can put it together. His shot is lethal. He just needs to round out his game a little more. 

Ya, it's a curious thing. He's proven he can play at the NHL level, his shot is damn near elite, and he's not bad defensively. There exists questions about his skating, and fitness - if he can address that this offseason he'll be a beauty.

16 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Does this contract mean Boucher can't sign a contract in Europe for this coming season?  I wonder if there is an out clause.  He could make a lot more over there than in Utica, no?  Vey got 52 points in 50 games in the KHL last season.  Boucher would likely score 50 goals over there!  

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Solid signing. This guy is the best Comet by a country mile, and does a fairly decent job at the NHL level...for a really good Comet. One year, two way deal. Good solid signing, Jim.

its worth the risk, I don't see how he cracks the top 6 but who knows, maybe he comes to camp in beast mode. We certainly need 2nd unit PP options. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

its worth the risk, I don't see how he cracks the top 6 but who knows, maybe he comes to camp in beast mode. We certainly need 2nd unit PP options. 

I'm pretty sure he starts the season in Utica, and stays there for most of the season.  He's never came to a camp in great shape.  He's got a lot of talent, but lacks the desire to be the best player he can be.  I remember when he came to us (was it from Jersey?) he said he needed to make a better commitment to his off ice training.  He's always looked a little chubby to me, like Kyle Welwood.  

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I'm pretty sure he starts the season in Utica, and stays there for most of the season.  He's never came to a camp in great shape.  He's got a lot of talent, but lacks the desire to be the best player he can be.  I remember when he came to us (was it from Jersey?) he said he needed to make a better commitment to his off ice training.  He's always looked a little chubby to me, like Kyle Welwood.  

I wonder if he and Hutton do a buffet tour in Ontario this summer.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

yah he was a Wellwoodian vibe for me as well. Training camp is going to be really interesting, I do think we may lose a guy or two to waivers. 

Hope he clears waivers, I feel it's likely, and if so there's one third of a top line and first power play unit for Utica! Also, as has been mentioned today in his thread, he had one call-up last year where he looked like he belonged, so it's certainly nice to have a near-NHL caliber call-up waiting in the wings.

Archived