The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Report) Flyers Looking to Trade Wayne Simmonds

Pears

1 hour ago, Chip Kelly said:

Gadjovich can't skate. Don't give me the "but but Bo Horvat improved his skating" speil either.. the outlier should not define the standard.

I do not get the fuss about gadjovich skating, I’ve watched a few games of his now and wjc and it does not look as awful at skating as people keep saying I know he’s not a top end skater, the style of game he brings doesn’t need pure speed it’s about causing havoc and scoring them dirty goals, 

6 minutes ago, LegionOfDoom said:

I do not get the fuss about gadjovich skating, I’ve watched a few games of his now and wjc and it does not look as awful at skating as people keep saying I know he’s not a top end skater, the style of game he brings doesn’t need pure speed it’s about causing havoc and scoring them dirty goals, 

Have you seen Tom Wilson and Jake Virtanen skating compare them with Gadjovich,Maroon, and Lucic.

You need speed to catch guys first to throw hits. If you can't skate doesn't matter how big or strong you are.

You can't get by being an average skater anymore. Guys like Chris Higgins and Mike Richards could play 5 years ago but not now.

Skating is a skill built from a young age just like puck skills and shooting, and can be improved yes. But significantly enough where an awkward stride and non smooth skater suddenly becomes effortless with some power skating coaches at 18?!

They can't change their stride but they might get a little faster with more leg strength which is what guys talk about when talking about improving their skating over the offseason.

Skating defeceincy is also a defensive liability not just an offensive one.

2 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Have you seen Tom Wilson and Jake Virtanen skating compare them with Gadjovich,Maroon, and Lucic.

You need speed to catch guys first to throw hits. If you can't skate doesn't matter how big or strong you are.

You can't get by being an average skater anymore. Guys like Chris Higgins and Mike Richards could play 5 years ago but not now.

Skating is a skill built from a young age just like puck skills and shooting, and can be improved yes. But significantly enough where an awkward stride and non smooth skater suddenly becomes effortless with some power skating coaches at 18?!

They can't change their stride but they might get a little faster with more leg strength which is what guys talk about when talking about improving their skating over the offseason.

Skating defeceincy is also a defensive liability not just an offensive one.

I thought the poster said Gadjovich's game is to create havoc and score dirty goals. Didn't mention anything about throwing hits. If you're on the PP, it doesn't matter how much speed he has, he will park himself in front of the net and has the hands to finish in tight. Adding speed will only make his game that much better, but for the skill set he has now, he is fine. He can't keep up with the McDavids but he isn't slow. On top of this, he's been used on the PK so he has a strong foundation of a defensive game as well.

Also Maroon had 43 points last season which was his best offensive year (one could argue playing with McDavid, but he had 13 points in 17 games with NJD). He averaged 2 hits a game last season which puts him at 63rd amongst all forwards in the NHL which isn't bad for a guy that was probably in the top 6 for both teams he was on and a bunch of guys on the list of hits are energy guys that are out there simply for that purpose. Maroon is doing just fine keeping up with guys it seems to me.

Lucic also had the 2nd most hits in the league, so I'm not sure where that concern is in terms of hitting.

I understand what you're getting at if you want a complete power forward that speed is an asset, but even slower players with good hockey IQ will get by just fine in the NHL. We will see if Gadjovich has that IQ or at least the drive to improve on his skating.

4 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

He will be on the Sportsnet draft panel because he is such a great drafting GM.

He did pull off the greatest set of trades on draft day to get the Sedins, you could just say you don’t like him rather than make stupid remarks. He has accomplished more in the game of hockey in the last year then your entire life.  

36 minutes ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

He did pull off the greatest set of trades on draft day to get the Sedins, you could just say you don’t like him rather than make stupid remarks. He has accomplished more in the game of hockey in the last year then your entire life.  

He made that trade sure. Has been living off it ever since. He did at a time that very few people valued draft picks and prospects in a very weak draft.

Who has he drafted that have been great picks over the last 10 years?

So just because I am not an NHL GM I am not allowed to criticize a ex GM.

You are not a professional movie critic or involved in the movie industry so should you have no input on which movie is good?

On 20/06/2018 at 4:05 AM, HerrDrFunk said:

I like Simmonds a lot....but I don't think he'd be a good fit for the Canucks right now. 

I tend to agree, however you could argue he would be ideal on Pettersson's RW to make sure he wasn't molested. I think he brings as much as Evander Kane would have brought but cheaper if a little bit older. I also think he is a good character guy, a bit like DD. Do we really think Philly would part with him?

However we have to ask, would he be keeping a young player out. I'm not so sure, we should be thinking of giving our prospects a bit more seasoning.

I notice he has a MNTC and 2018-19 is his last year -  $3,975,000, not bad I'd say for what he brings. He's good for around 30 goals 60pts/season. 4@$4,500,000 wouldn't hurt us (no NTC though, we've been stung by enough of them in the past) 

If he went term then he would still be worth a 2nd at the TDL. Ok I've talked myself all the way round.

I had to laugh when the commentator said "2 heavyweights" Simmonds is only 185lbs and is giving almost 35lbs to Wilson. I think we could use Wayne.

21 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

I tend to agree, however you could argue he would be ideal on Pettersson's RW to make sure he wasn't molested. I think he brings as much as Evander Kane would have brought but cheaper if a little bit older. I also think he is a good character guy, a bit like DD. Do we really think Philly would part with him?

However we have to ask, would he be keeping a young player out. I'm not so sure, we should be thinking of giving our prospects a bit more seasoning.

I notice he has a MNTC and 2018-19 is his last year -  $3,975,000, not bad I'd say for what he brings. He's good for around 30 goals 60pts/season. 4@$4,500,000 wouldn't hurt us (no NTC though, we've been stung by enough of them in the past) 

If he went term then he would still be worth a 2nd at the TDL. Ok I've talked myself all the way round.

I had to laugh when the commentator said "2 heavyweights" Simmonds is only 185lbs and is giving almost 35lbs to Wilson. I think we could use Wayne.

Philadelphia is considering trading him because although they would really like to keep him they don't think they can pay what he will demand - it's going to be close to Kane territory.  They can afford 4.5M for 4 years - higher and longer not necessarily.  They've probably already got some indication from his agent.

Archived