The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Predators' Austin Watson arrested on domestic assault charge; Suspended 27 games

Nashville Predators forward Austin Watson was arrested over the weekend and subsequently charged with domestic assault in Franklin, Tenn., police said Wednesday, reports Natalie Neysa Alund of the Tennessean.

The 26-year-old forward was arrested at 7:20 p.m. local time Saturday, and as of Wednesday, was free on a $4,500 bond. He's due to appear in court next on June 28.

The Predators issued the following statement:

Watson was selected 18th overall by the Predators in the 2010 NHL draft. In 216 regular-season games for Nashville, Watson has registered 23 goals and 24 assists to go along with 254 penalty minutes.

In 2017, Watson was a part of a public-awareness campaign along with his Predators teammates called "Unsilence the Violence," a project focused on bringing an end to violence against women.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1560155

Update:

Just now, Alflives said:

Yes, good point.  However, I don't think a man should do more than defend himself if a woman slaps him.  

so no fairness of the sexes?
or are we not equal?

I am confused as feminism would want equal treatment.

Drunk GF, and she gets hit out of the blue? 

If she hit him does she get charged too?

6 minutes ago, Emmetts said:

or are we not equal?

I know my beliefs are both right wing and old fashioned.  I just don't think most women are really going to do damage to the man they are with, while the man could seriously hurt the woman.

Yes, if a woman attacks a man, she should receive equal treatment under the law.  However, the man (in my old fashioned view) should do nothing more than protect himself.  He should leave, and call the police, but nothing more.  There could be other circumstances, of course, like he feared for his kids or someone else.  However, in most cases where the woman is the aggressor, I think the man should leave her, and call the police.  

Just now, Alflives said:

I know my beliefs are both right wing and old fashioned.  I just don't think most women are really going to do damage to the man they are with, while the man could seriously hurt the woman.

Yes, if a woman attacks a man, she should receive equal treatment under the law.  However, the man (in my old fashioned view) should do nothing more than protect himself.  He should leave, and call the police, but nothing more.  There could be other circumstances, of course, like he feared for his kids or someone else.  However, in most cases where the woman is the aggressor, I think the man should leave her, and call the police.  

I completely agree. I am just pointing out the hypocrisy of the left. 

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Guys keep you friggin' hands off girls!  

So true. Have had difficult moments in my life but can proudly say I have never in any way assaulted a woman. You just don't go there. Period. If a lady was to hit me first I would defend myself and fend her off. But still wouldn't strike her unless needed. If allegations are true. Watson is now a goof in my books. 

2 hours ago, Emmetts said:

or are we not equal?

Sounds like you have an itchin' to justify something.

19 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Sounds like you have an itchin' to justify something.

Or they are just pointing out that a drunk girlfriend could've very well initiated the physical altercation. 

I don't personally see why the police even need to get involved - the girlfriend can end the relationship if she sees the need. If I shoved my friend for being an ass, I doubt a police officer would come to charge me with assault.

Good thing there's no more negative rep anymore.. :ph34r:

33 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

Or they are just pointing out that a drunk girlfriend could've very well initiated the physical altercation. 

Not based on his post, but good try.

I don't personally see why the police even need to get involved - the girlfriend can end the relationship if she sees the need. If I shoved my friend for being an ass, I doubt a police officer would come to charge me with assault.

If it's a chronic issue where she is being abused on the regular, there is a reason to involve the police. If this is a one off disagreement, where she is loaded and they have a disagreement, no reason to involve the cops. Let the couple sort it out.

Good thing there's no more negative rep anymore.. :ph34r:

I guess. I think I used it once.

11 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Not based on his post, but good try.

But that's exactly what his post said? Its unlikely that one's first reaction when their SO is drunk when they shouldn't be, is to shove them.

If it's a chronic issue where she is being abused on the regular, there is a reason to involve the police. If this is a one off disagreement, where she is loaded and they have a disagreement, no reason to involve the cops. Let the couple sort it out.

Yes agreed. And the fact that a witness flagged down the police suggests that it is more likely to be the latter. Perhaps the girlfriend herself wanted to sort it out on their own. 

I guess. I think I used it once.

Just felt a post like that would've earned some minuses back in the day, based on the comments before mine.. :lol:

5 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

But that's exactly what his post said? Its unlikely that one's first reaction when their SO is drunk when they shouldn't be, is to shove them.

Alcohol is a hell of a drug.

Yes agreed. And the fact that a witness flagged down the police suggests that it is more likely to be the latter. Perhaps the girlfriend herself wanted to sort it out on their own. 

I think there are an abundance of people out there who don't know how to butt out and mind their own business. They get involved in things they perceive to be a volatile situation, and end up making something out of nothing. Back in the day, people might have approached the couple directly asking if everything is okay, before flagging down a cop car.

I don't know the specifics of the case, but I have seen far too many incidents of people calling the police for nothing far too many times in the last few years to think it's not an isolated incident.

Just felt a post like that would've earned some minuses back in the day, based on the comments before mine.. :lol:

I'm glad it's gone. It forces people on the CDC to actually respond or move on without dropping judgmental little down arrows.

Archived