The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Predators' Austin Watson arrested on domestic assault charge; Suspended 27 games

14 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'm glad it's gone. It forces people on the CDC to actually respond or move on without dropping judgmental little down arrows.

Agreed I had one guy disagree with one of my posts and he went through my post history and minused 15-20 posts that had nothing to do with the original post he disagreed with. :lol:

43 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Alcohol is a hell of a drug.

I think there are an abundance of people out there who don't know how to butt out and mind their own business. They get involved in things they perceive to be a volatile situation, and end up making something out of nothing. Back in the day, people might have approached the couple directly asking if everything is okay, before flagging down a cop car.

I don't know the specifics of the case, but I have seen far too many incidents of people calling the police for nothing far too many times in the last few years to think it's not an isolated incident.

I'm glad it's gone. It forces people on the CDC to actually respond or move on without dropping judgmental little down arrows.

From the sounds of it she was a lot more drunk than he was..

Sounds like we're on the same page other than that though!

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Yes, good point.  However, I don't think a man should do more than defend himself if a woman slaps him.  

Watson is 6'4, 204 and able to handle himself among NHL heavyweights.  I suspect his girlfriend isn't in his weight class. 

And by the FPD's account, she was backing away, covering her face, saying "stop" and was pushed anyway - with a witness corroborating that account.  Doesn't sound like he's the victim here.

In any event, I agree with you - regardless of her actions, men should be doing their best to always avoid engaging.

It's unfortunate that so much ideology (left right blah blah) winds up leaking into all these discussions.

Also unfortunate that it happened, period.   I like Watson, drafted him in numerous fantasy leagues - very good, physical, young shutdown center.  Hopefully he can straighten his head out after this.

6 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

so if he's charged is it going to be a voynov sorta situation?

Possibly but more than likely not. Voynov beat the **** out of his girlfriend while being in the US on a work visa; so he got deported (or left before he could be).

2 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Possibly but more than likely not. Voynov beat the **** out of his girlfriend while being in the US on a work visa; so he got deported (or left before he could be).

right im a little hazy on the whole story, but that makes sense.

9 hours ago, rekker said:

Gotta hook up Watson with Hoffmans old lady. Fireworks baby.

Voynov wants back into the NHL. Florida has options.

Insensitive joking aside, definitely a pretty messed up Summer so far. Hopefully Benning and Linden really are attentive to the guys we bring into the organization. I feel like every organization preaches "character first" but not everyone goes 100% through with it. There is talk that people in Ottawa knew a long time ago about Hoffman's girlfriend/fiance being a bit of a wacko and did nothing about it. So I can imagine how much player baggage gets looked over until things get public.

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Voynov wants back into the NHL. Florida has options.

Insensitive joking aside, definitely a pretty messed up Summer so far. Hopefully Benning and Linden really are attentive to the guys we bring into the organization. I feel like every organization preaches "character first" but not everyone goes 100% through with it. There is talk that people in Ottawa knew a long time ago about Hoffman's girlfriend/fiance being a bit of a wacko and did nothing about it. So I can imagine how much player baggage gets looked over until things get public.

Nashville, in particular.

mike-ribeiro_1o3j06l069fsszn9fba4ye9r5.j

• 1 month later...

Austin Watson pled no contest to misdemeanour domestic assault and was sentenced to 11 months, 29 days probation and will enrol in 26-week batterer intervention course.

The victim in the case asked for the case to be dropped and if Watson does not violate the terms of his probation in the next three months his record will be expunged. If he does violate probation, he faces up to a year in prison.

On 7/28/2018 at 11:22 AM, Losing With Pride said:

Yikes.  Not a very good situation to be in.

It almost seems to be a death sentence on athletes from Ray Rice to Slava Voynov.

As it should be.  Even if the league allows him to play again, what sensible team is going to take the risk to bring him in?  Watson's a useful player, but he isn't a star.  Who's going to bring in a 3rd/4th liner who is going to generate a media circus and adversely affect sales?

He's done and good riddance.  I'd be absolutely furious if the Canucks brought him in.

On 6/20/2018 at 9:13 AM, Alflives said:

Guys keep you friggin' hands off girls!  

Agreed but also be more selective to not end up with a psycho that is too drunk to attend a wedding (not saying the case here but it is a common sort of situation that happens) and then goes whacko in a car on you.   NEVER push back but also be more selective.   The crazy ones travel in packs - usually highly identifiable.  Use your larger head in the selection process and be sober prior to any selection.   Avoiding the potential urge to push back (urge that you cannot scratch) goes a long way to a happier life.

Archived