The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] 1 more year of losing, or let's rush the rebuild?

Let's have 1 more losing season and get ourselves Jack (or Quinn?) Hughes. We may be a basement team but it'll at least be a fun season watching the young guys.

We should look at trading Tanev, Edler, and Baertschi for picks/prospects and let the young guys come in and do their thing.

Tanev should be able to get us a 1st from either the Oilers or Islanders. Maybe an extra mid pick as a divisional fee if we sent him to Edmonton lol. Toronto and Tampa may even increase his value if they jump into a bidding war. Edler could fetch us a late first or a couple mid round picks, and Baertschi may be able to fetch that + a prospect.

This is the year to load up on picks for both this year and for next year when the draft is in Vancouver. If we finish in the bottom of the standings we better pick 1st in our hometown! Lol. Not sure if Hughes is comparable to Dahlin, but it'd be nice to finally get a #1 pick for once. Other guys we could possibly ship off are Sutter, Gagner, Vanek?, and Eriksson (I'd rather keep him around). I'd say keep all 3 of these guys for veteran leadership and depth. Trade them off at the deadline this year if we are bottom feeders like expected

This year's lines would look like...

Virtanen Horvat Boeser

Eriksson Sutter Pettersson

Goldobin Gaudette Granlund

Liepsic Gagner Vanek

Del Zotto Gudbranson

Juolevi Stecher

Hutton Pouliot

Markstrom/Nilsson

Call ups: Gauncr, Dahlen, Demko, McEwen, Molino, Brisebois, Bouchard, and others.

Go into this year's draft with picks #7 and #10-12 and should go into next years home draft with multiple 1sts unless we skip the tear it down model. To me we are in a perfect position for this model right now because are young stars will be here and producing very soon, a few are expected this year. Guys like Horvat, Virtanen, Boeser, Goldobin, and possibly even Granlund if he can bounce back should all be due for break out seasons with an increased offensive role since the Sedins retired. Pettersson is a future star and may even become one in his rookie year like Boeser was, except Pettersson will give you those flashy highlight reels that we all love. Gaudette, Juolevi, Dahlen, and maybe even Demko to me could be a big surprise next year and exceed rookie expectations. To me it's time to strip it down, Henning patched us up to give us as much competitiveness as he could while fixing the mess he was handed, now that the mess is fixed it's time to let the young guys impress us and tear it down.

Or we could go for a big off season and risk the future for a fix me now.

Sign Tavares 8 years @ 11.5M 

Sign Vanek 2 years @ 1.5M

Trade Markstrom + Baertschi for Luongo + 1st/2nd

Eriksson Tavares Pettersson

Virtanen Horvat Boeser

Goldobin Sutter Vanek

Granlund Gaudette Gagner

Edler Tanev

Juolevi Gudbranson

Hutton Poulion/Stecher

Luongo

We could compete and the team would look great in 2-3 years but imo I think I'd prefer to tear it down and pass on the big Tavares contract. We have something special coming to Vancouver very soon, if we can just pluck a stud Dman or 2 in the next 2 drafts we will be a scary team in a few years. Sucks we couldn't get Dahlin this year, oh well, maybe in 3-5 years we will be thankful we fell to 7th lol.

What do you guys prefer? Tear it down now, Rebuild this off season, or just stand pat?

9 minutes ago, Brock Botanen said:

Let's have 1 more losing season and get ourselves Jack (or Quinn?) Hughes. We may be a basement team but it'll at least be a fun season watching the young guys.

We should look at trading Tanev, Edler, and Baertschi for picks/prospects and let the young guys come in and do their thing.

Tanev should be able to get us a 1st from either the Oilers or Islanders. Maybe an extra mid pick as a divisional fee if we sent him to Edmonton lol. Toronto and Tampa may even increase his value if they jump into a bidding war. Edler could fetch us a late first or a couple mid round picks, and Baertschi may be able to fetch that + a prospect.

This is the year to load up on picks for both this year and for next year when the draft is in Vancouver. If we finish in the bottom of the standings we better pick 1st in our hometown! Lol. Not sure if Hughes is comparable to Dahlin, but it'd be nice to finally get a #1 pick for once. Other guys we could possibly ship off are Sutter, Gagner, Vanek?, and Eriksson (I'd rather keep him around). I'd say keep all 3 of these guys for veteran leadership and depth. Trade them off at the deadline this year if we are bottom feeders like expected

This year's lines would look like...

Virtanen Horvat Boeser

Eriksson Sutter Pettersson

Goldobin Gaudette Granlund

Liepsic Gagner Vanek

Del Zotto Gudbranson

Juolevi Stecher

Hutton Pouliot

Markstrom/Nilsson

Call ups: Gauncr, Dahlen, Demko, McEwen, Molino, Brisebois, Bouchard, and others.

Go into this year's draft with picks #7 and #10-12 and should go into next years home draft with multiple 1sts unless we skip the tear it down model. To me we are in a perfect position for this model right now because are young stars will be here and producing very soon, a few are expected this year. Guys like Horvat, Virtanen, Boeser, Goldobin, and possibly even Granlund if he can bounce back should all be due for break out seasons with an increased offensive role since the Sedins retired. Pettersson is a future star and may even become one in his rookie year like Boeser was, except Pettersson will give you those flashy highlight reels that we all love. Gaudette, Juolevi, Dahlen, and maybe even Demko to me could be a big surprise next year and exceed rookie expectations. To me it's time to strip it down, Henning patched us up to give us as much competitiveness as he could while fixing the mess he was handed, now that the mess is fixed it's time to let the young guys impress us and tear it down.

Or we could go for a big off season and risk the future for a fix me now.

Sign Tavares 8 years @ 11.5M 

Sign Vanek 2 years @ 1.5M

Trade Markstrom + Baertschi for Luongo + 1st/2nd

Eriksson Tavares Pettersson

Virtanen Horvat Boeser

Goldobin Sutter Vanek

Granlund Gaudette Gagner

Edler Tanev

Juolevi Gudbranson

Hutton Poulion/Stecher

Luongo

We could compete and the team would look great in 2-3 years but imo I think I'd prefer to tear it down and pass on the big Tavares contract. We have something special coming to Vancouver very soon, if we can just pluck a stud Dman or 2 in the next 2 drafts we will be a scary team in a few years. Sucks we couldn't get Dahlin this year, oh well, maybe in 3-5 years we will be thankful we fell to 7th lol.

What do you guys prefer? Tear it down now, Rebuild this off season, or just stand pat?

this team needs to start moving up.  I'm very much hoping they are active in the FA market and let a cpl of the young guys develop in Utica.

3 minutes ago, Emmetts said:

If Tavaras is open to Vancouver you simply sign TAVARAS.

we are not on the downswing we are already showing signs of upward direction. Without Boeser, horvat, sutter, tanev, gudbranson injury we would have been in playoff hunt a lot longer.

Ftfy

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I don't think we'l make the playoffs this year.

Will depend on injuries.  Easy to hang around playoff contention in this league unless you're *just that bad* but it's the "final home stretch" that'll separate the pack.  

If we need another year of bottom feeding depends on the moves that are made now. We certainly have enough talent coming in at this point to make the transition to being a more competitive team, depending on what JB can make happen. We have some extra players, some of which have some value, like Baer and Grany, perhaps along with Tanev, so let's see what happens. There could yet be some trades this week.

I think we'll have one more year of sucking before we ascend the standings.

This additional year will be important because we're poised to have a very positive public relations opportunity next summer when we host the draft, and acquiring another top pick (hopefully 1st) would solidify our core and team identity moving forward.

The draft would be the perfect time to market Vancouver as an emerging hockey power, and showcase the city's natural appeal during the summer. UFA's would likely begin considering us again as a prime destination, and if we make some key signings, the rebuild will be complete by the end of summer or the next. 

Ouch, that team would be really, really, really bad if the goaltending isn't amazing. 

As much as I would like to see some more youth in the lineup, not sure full Oilers is way to go.

I could see Edler going at deadline if he wants to, I think Tanev is here to help with OJ's learning curve.

Why does it have to be one or the other?

You can't rush a rebuild.  Nobody as even done that, not even with McJesus or St-Matthews.   The only exception to a rush rebuild (or should I say "build) is Vegas.

If we have a fully healthy year from Horvat and Boeser, I except this team to be in the running for a playoff spot at the trade deadline.  Whether they make or not, that another question, but I hope some players (other than Horvat and Boeser) will come out of the shadow of the Sedins and step up. Our defense is still our weakness but I still think we can compete.

The secret to a perennial contender is slow and steady.  We need to improve inch and every year, unlike the Flames or the Oilers (high and lows) in the past few years.

9 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

U don't leave ur young players hanging out to dry like that. How many examples of this destroying developement do we have to keep posting to stop people from suggesting this?

This idea of planning an exact time frame that your whole team will be "ready" to compete is absurd. A competitive team should come from a BALANCE of drafting, trading and acquiring FA's. How is that so hard to understand? Gutting your team of ALL of your talent for the sake getting MORE draft picks is just a classic example of putting all of your eggs in one basket. 

A professional team is a constant changing entity and every year the goal should be to improve from the previous year and not ignore opportunities that you are presented with.

You are right cuporbust, there are plenty of examples of teams unbalancing their team and proceed to watch it crumble to the ground year after year. 

Draft players every year and acquire other needs through trade and FA when the opportunities arise and spend to the cap. How hard of a concept is that for some to see?

Archived