The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL 19 Thread

goalie13

Hey Guys, I started my Nhl 19 Franchise mode like 4 days ago. and obviously I took my Canucks. But I'm disappointed with the fact that Quinn Hughes isn't on my team and Jake isnt even in text years draft. anyone know anything about what the reason could be. I had the same issue with nhl18 with Adam gaudette and it just seems like some NCAA players cant be found. any info would really help. 

15 minutes ago, Canuck-91 said:

Hey Guys, I started my Nhl 19 Franchise mode like 4 days ago. and obviously I took my Canucks. But I'm disappointed with the fact that Quinn Hughes isn't on my team and Jake isnt even in text years draft. anyone know anything about what the reason could be. I had the same issue with nhl18 with Adam gaudette and it just seems like some NCAA players cant be found. any info would really help. 

It's because they are college players.  EA doesn't have an agreement with the NCAA to have their players in the game.

• Upvote 1

So a couple of things I noticed playing Franchise mode...

There's a player search.  Maybe it was there before, but I never saw it.  Now if you want to find what team some random guy is on, you can use the search.

At default settings, the fatigue is less of a factor than it was last year.

Not every game is a sell-out.  I'm playing in Carolina right now and there are lots of empty seats.

• Haha 2

Does anyone find it difficult to play a the Canucks in a franchise mode? I often find it challenging to make trades that feel even semi realistic for the organization. Bennings job is secure so it's tough to make believe I'm replacing him as GM. 

Are there any ground rules you put in place on yourself so it feels more legitimate? Ie trade restrictions, draft rules etc etc.  I got a feeling I'd want to make some sizable moves early. 

I also don't by Gudbranson is a 76 so I'd feel inclined to bump him to an 82. Do you guys edit team players? Also curious if anyone has a player build for Quinn Hughes since I'd have to manually create him.

On 19/09/2018 at 5:13 PM, Western Red said:

Sounds like I'm going to get this game, lots of glowing reviews. Walked by it today but will snag it next time I'm thinking. $79 for everyone else or is there a better deal somewhere?

You can wait a few weeks. See if a used copy becomes available at every games. They sell used copies for 60 + tax. 

I think I'm just going to bundle some old games and throw them on usedvictoria as a bundle for cheap. That will help offset the cost. I initially was going to grab it around Christmas when it goes on sale for $40 + tax.

4 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

You can wait a few weeks. See if a used copy becomes available at every games. They sell used copies for 60 + tax. 

I think I'm just going to bundle some old games and throw them on usedvictoria as a bundle for cheap. That will help offset the cost. I initially was going to grab it around Christmas when it goes on sale for $40 + tax.

I agree that I bought it too early. The earliest I'll ever buy it now is mid October. The rosters are ridiculous. Boeser plays the wrong side on PP, Pettersson doesn't exist.

I'm really terrible at the game as well, so I have a lot of learning to do. Haven't played an EA NHL game in 9 years. 

Thanks for your ideas.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Western Red said:

I agree that I bought it too early. The earliest I'll ever buy it now is mid October. The rosters are ridiculous. Boeser plays the wrong side on PP, Pettersson doesn't exist.

I'm really terrible at the game as well, so I have a lot of learning to do. Haven't played an EA NHL game in 9 years. 

Thanks for your ideas.

I think you're doing it wrong.

I downloaded it the day it came out.  I only waited a couple of days before starting my franchise.  I downloaded the latest roster and it is mostly accurate.  I've got Pettersson playing 2nd line C for me.  I had to promote him from the Comets and send down Sutter, but he was on the roster.  The only guys that are missing are guys like Hughes because they are in the NCAA and EA doesn't have a rights deal with them.

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

Does anyone find it difficult to play a the Canucks in a franchise mode? I often find it challenging to make trades that feel even semi realistic for the organization. Bennings job is secure so it's tough to make believe I'm replacing him as GM. 

Are there any ground rules you put in place on yourself so it feels more legitimate? Ie trade restrictions, draft rules etc etc.  I got a feeling I'd want to make some sizable moves early. 

I also don't by Gudbranson is a 76 so I'd feel inclined to bump him to an 82. Do you guys edit team players? Also curious if anyone has a player build for Quinn Hughes since I'd have to manually create him.

I agree on the trades.  I'm about 12 games into the season.  I've had a couple of trade offers come my way but they were both from teams looking to off-load a salary in exchange for picks.  (eg - Demers for a 2nd and a 4th)  I've tried off-loading a couple of my own pending UFAs but I can't get anyone to bite yet.

I agree on Gudbranson, but I don't edit players.  The only player editing I do is I make them keep their mouthguard in.  

Other than that, I am having more success than I probably should.  I'm 8-2-2 so far this season.  Although, my owner is unhappy with my performance because I didn't win the home opener.

3 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

I think you're doing it wrong.

I downloaded it the day it came out.  I only waited a couple of days before starting my franchise.  I downloaded the latest roster and it is mostly accurate.  I've got Pettersson playing 2nd line C for me.  I had to promote him from the Comets and send down Sutter, but he was on the roster.  The only guys that are missing are guys like Hughes because they are in the NCAA and EA doesn't have a rights deal with them.

I'm just playing quick play. I haven't gotten into the league stuff and I don't know that I will. So, I meant what I said and am waiting for the roster update that affects quick play and online versus. Those default rosters are way off.

Just now, Western Red said:

I'm just playing quick play. I haven't gotten into the league stuff and I don't know that I will. So, I meant what I said and am waiting for the roster update that affects quick play and online versus. Those default rosters are way off.

Maybe that's the issue, because when I did the roster update Pettersson was there for me.

10 minutes ago, Western Red said:

I that I bought it too early. The earliest I'll ever buy it now is mid October. The rosters are ridiculous. Boeser plays the wrong side on PP, Pettersson doesn't exist.

Thanks for your ideas.

Jesus. I just started a franchise mode as an expansion team. Not only do I get 3rd overall in the entry draft but the game plops a franchise winger atop the draft. He's in a style of Lucic. There is also an elite center in mould of a Theo fluery at 2 and elite sniper at 3 like Markus Naslund. 

Winger - Franchise (Lucic comp)

Centre - Elite (Theo Fluery comp)

Winger - Elite (Naslund comp)

I want the nazzy comp because I love nazzy. The others aren't half bad either lol. 

I think I have the assets to grab one of the first two picks. But I know a deal has to be made if u want to acquire the first overall.

Does anyone know how to check who has the first overall pick? I sped past the lottery screen.

To keep my be a gm realistic. I'm going to leave the first overall alone. Cuz in reality there is zero way a team trades first overall especially if there is a franchise guy avaliable. I'm going to try and package my 3rd with a top 4 D to move up one spot. I really covet the centre. 

As many of you know getting centres are dang near impossible in the expansion draft. I want to do draft only unless I'm singing third or fourth line guys. I'm gonna try and get a third liner like Anisimov off of Chicago to fill second line duties. 

I got Ekholm, Girodano, Martinez and Larsson to package up. As well as Grubauer and one of Remier or Bernier to move out.  I'd even do Gio + the third overall for one spot if I had too. I'm hoping one of the lesser guys does the trick. I need a future #1 C and this looks like a real nice one.

There is also a D I like at 5. I might give one crack at acquiring it.  If not there is another one I like around 22.

I can't figure who had what pick tho which is super frustrating. It prevents me from looking at their needs so I can make the deal realistic.

Have any of you guys messed around with the fog of war settings? I felt all of the details being off is a little unrealistic. I personally turned on vision of two things which will help me long term and seems more realistic.

1st one being: Player Overalls.

It didn't feel realistic I had no idea what anyones round about level was. Any one of us can probably guess pretty accurately a players overall before the game even comes out. Within a reasonable range.

2nd one being: Player Types. 

It's pretty clear when you start a franchise mode your scouts know the type of game professionals have. It largely doesn't affect the kids either but realistically you can google the type of player any kid is in a given draft. So for me that is realistic.

Now if you want to add to your team for a cup run or to fill a need you still need to scout the players to see their attributes and potentials. I feel it just gives me a more realistic feel.

In real life we are more in touch with the league then the game lets us be. There are no highlights clips or condensed footage of other teams in NHL nor should their be.

So for fog of war I have vision of Player Overalls (just their OA) and Player type. How do you guys rock your fog of war if you use it?

Edited by Rush17

The big draft is coming up. :) Going to be playing it out tonight. Got some insight from HF boards so I think I am ready to make the play lol.

Apparently, those "Skill grades" below strengths and weaknesses is actually their current rating in those positions. So the C will likely need a yr back in Russia before becoming a regular NHLer. Elite C's taken #2 overall usually pan out. The only one that has struggled has been Reinhart that I can recall. That elite D man I was looking at apparently is a 3 bar "Defensive Dman" so he isn't locked in as 100% a DFD. He could still be a 2-way defender which would fit the mould of his comp Chara. 

Interesting times ahead. :) Heads up if your starting an expansion team the first entry draft has little scouting details on players in the draft. I can't find any concrete details on anyone in the second round. Best I've seen is 2 out of 4 bars so far in the 2nd round. I've seen maybe 3 (3 bar) players in the rest of the draft. It really is a complete mess. Thankfully, my scouts, have the top 5 picks of the draft covered and we are dead in the middle at 3.

• Thanks 1