The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL 19 Thread

goalie13

8 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

Plus Kane was going to repeat too before the rape scandal . Same cover as toews 

Yeah, that's why I wasn't considering it a "repeat". I mean, it was pretty much, however.

Kane had one, then Toews the year after....then later on it was both of them....until Kane &^@#ed up and it was just Toews.

Subban is a good choice, but yeah, Ovie on the cover in the Caps red jersey would look slick. When he was on the cover they still had the eagle jerseys.

I really hope this iteration isn't heavily focusing on pond hockey with modes etc etc. They really need to make a substantial improvement to be a pro and franchise for me to invest this year.

Career mode will have to blow me away, it wont though.  I didn't buy NHL18, first time ever I didn't get a hockey game.  I really don't give a rats ass if I could dress up like a lumberjack and play meaningless pond hockey and I never will touch the HUT mode.  I miss the old EASHL of leveling a player up too. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Career mode will have to blow me away, it wont though.  I didn't buy NHL18, first time ever I didn't get a hockey game.  I really don't give a rats ass if I could dress up like a lumberjack and play meaningless pond hockey and I never will touch the HUT mode.  I miss the old EASHL of leveling a player up too. 

Then you, like I, mean nothing to the EA NHL team.  All they care about it the money gets fed into HUT and apparently now player customization.  The offline modes are dead for the NHL series and likely will be for a while because there is no money in it.

On another note, HUT is the absolute worst game mode.  I really don't see the appeal at all.  It's basically a crappy stripped down version of GM Connected, but with cards.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Jägermeister said:

Then you, like I, mean nothing to the EA NHL team.  All they care about it the money gets fed into HUT and apparently now player customization.  The offline modes are dead for the NHL series and likely will be for a while because there is no money in it.

On another note, HUT is the absolute worst game mode.  I really don't see the appeal at all.  It's basically a crappy stripped down version of GM Connected, but with cards.

I know.  I am hoping one day those micro transactions will be outright banned in gaming like in Belguim:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-04-25-now-belgium-declares-loot-boxes-gambling-and-therefore-illegal

Hot on the heels of the Netherlands declaring loot boxes are gambling and therefore illegal, Belgium has had its say.

The Belgian Gaming Commission looked at Star Wars Battlefront 2, FIFA 18, Overwatch and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and found only Star Wars was not in violation of the country's gambling legislation - and that's only because EA stripped out the game's loot boxes after its launch debacle.

It determined FIFA 18, Overwatch and CS:GO's loot boxes are a game of chance and so are subject to Belgian gambling law. Battlefront 2, at the time the investigation was conducted, did not have loot boxes, so escapes unscathed.

A statement from Minister of Justice Koen Geens said FIFA 18, Overwatch and CS:GO were therefore illegal and demanded their loot boxes removed. If they're not, the publishers "risk a prison sentence of up to five years and a fine of up to 800,000 euros". When minors are involved, those punishments can be doubled, Geens added.

Belgium expressed a particular concern about the impact loot boxes have on young people. "It is often children who come into contact with such systems and we cannot allow that," Geens warned.

In fact, Geens requested the Belgian Gaming Commission investigated video game loot boxes after the Star Wars blow up. "Given the importance of the protection of minors and vulnerable players, this was very worrying," he said.

1 FIFA 18 is played by millions of young people, and millions of dollars are spent each year on Ultimate Team card packs.

So, what happens next? Geens wants a dialogue with video game publishers and developers to work out who's responsible for the removal of the loot boxes. An EA spokesperson told Eurogamer the company "welcomes the dialogue" with Geens "as we do not agree that our games can be considered as any form of gambling". Here's the statement in full:

"We strongly believe that our games are developed and implemented ethically and lawfully around the world, and take these responsibilities very seriously. We care deeply that our players are having a fun and fair experience in all of our games, and take great care to ensure each game is marketed responsibly, including in compliance with regional ratings standards. We welcome the dialogue with Minister Geens on these topics, as we do not agree that our games can be considered as any form of gambling."

Whatever the outcome of these talks, it's clear Geens means business. "We have already taken numerous measures to protect both minors and adults against the influence of, among other things, gambling advertising," he said.

"That is why we must also ensure that children and adults are not confronted with games of chance when they are looking for fun in a video game."

This is yet another dramatic turn for the video game loot box issue, and a sign that in Europe at least, publishers may be forced to change the way their games work. Like with the Dutch situation, it'll be interesting to see whether publishers play ball with Belgium. But unlike the Dutch situation, Belgium has yet to impose a deadline by which publishers much change their games.

Meanwhile, the UK's Gambling Commission still doesn't think loot boxes are gambling or illegal in any way.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Qwags said:

I'd like them to make changes to the goaltending system. It feels very unbalanced in the AI's favour. That, or I'm just bad.

Don't think your the only one who has outshot a team 30-9 and lost 3-0. -. - 

12 hours ago, Qwags said:

I'd like them to make changes to the goaltending system. It feels very unbalanced in the AI's favour. That, or I'm just bad.

AI in superstar mode is way too OP. Especially if they have the puck in the offensive zone.. sometimes they can play keep away for a good few minutes.

(I'm not a bad player by any means but AI is a hefty challenge now lol).

On 22/06/2018 at 10:40 AM, Jägermeister said:

Theres no money in the new pond hockey / world of chel mode. Theyve said it wont be montetized.

Im pretty sure eashl has been improved and that we will be able to level up our player. Not exactly like it used to be but certainly better than it is now.

I believe the esport element to nhl has increased ea's motivation to improve on the game but i guess only time will tell.

Im not really a GM/Franchise mode guy but found this to be interesting 

(Theres a bunch of other info here as well) 

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2018/6/20/17446816/nhl-19-release-date-preview-ea-sports-ps4-xbox-one

In NHL 19, you’ll have a separate scouting budget, and will have to hire and fire scouts with an eye on their regional specializations. For instance, one may be an expert in Russia and Scandinavia but may have a mediocre awareness of players elsewhere. Scouts will return detailed reports with graded attributes and text descriptions, and there’s a fog-of-war element: Any players to whom you don’t assign a scout will be blind spots, with no hints of their abilities. And if you draft someone you haven’t scouted, you still won’t see their ratings until they play a few games somewhere in your organization. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, MusclePharm said:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2018/6/20/17446816/nhl-19-release-date-preview-ea-sports-ps4-xbox-one

In NHL 19, you’ll have a separate scouting budget, and will have to hire and fire scouts with an eye on their regional specializations. For instance, one may be an expert in Russia and Scandinavia but may have a mediocre awareness of players elsewhere. Scouts will return detailed reports with graded attributes and text descriptions, and there’s a fog-of-war element: Any players to whom you don’t assign a scout will be blind spots, with no hints of their abilities. And if you draft someone you haven’t scouted, you still won’t see their ratings until they play a few games somewhere in your organization. 

I'm listening...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, MusclePharm said:

And wasn't this in the game a few years ago lol?  Maybe not the scouting budget but they did have team scout grades based on geographical area.   The old re-introduced feature, an EA staple.

Also:

Unfortunately, that’s the only major improvement for Franchise. And it sounds like the only change for Be a Pro, the single-player career mode, is the addition of skill trees for traits akin to what’s available in FIFA. Here’s hoping Be a Pro — my personal favorite mode — gets some love next year.

And yeah there's that little tidbit.  Pass.

11 hours ago, MusclePharm said:

So, essentially what Eastside Hockey Manager was doing a decade ago. They even used the same "fog of war" descriptor.

I'm game for ripping off EHM, but they continually half-a$$ it. Put it all in...but then, of course, you will have to come up with something original for next year...