The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks looking for a new goaltending coach

cuporbust

27 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Huh, very interesting. I wonder how much he has to do with goalie Bob's resurgance with the Blue Jackets? Bob was great in Philly when he was there, then kinda died off a bit. Then was traded to Columbus and is lights out again. Pure speculation, i'm at work so can't really research this. But if Clark did have anything to do with Bob's rise to eliteness then I am game for sure!

Clark is widely credited for Bobrovsky’s success.

Although clearly it was a partnership and Bob deserves just as much, if not more, credit for his improvement. He’s considered one of the hardest working goalies in the league (when it comes to his training). So much so that Clark sometimes would send him home from practice and make him rest because Bobrovsky never wanted to stop working.

But Clark definitely made Bobrovsky work. Story is that before the lockout, Clark wrote a 100 page tome specifically for Bobrovsky containing instructions for his training.

Also reportedly designed diet and exercise plans to reshape his body (made him lose something like 17 pounds one offseason).

And, of course, Clark is the guy who trained Bob in “Reverse-VH.” 

Clark has designed detailed offseason plans for Bobrovsky the past 7 years. And worked extremely closely with him during the season on his technique. Clark’s also apparently a data guy and collects stats and studies hours of video, always looking to improve. He’s also said to have helped Bobrovsky with his mental game, focus, and preparation.

But it really seems like they were a great match. Bobrovsky apparently has an amazing work ethic. And if a player wants to work hard, Clark is the type of coach who will put in the time creating a plan with as much structured, detailed work as a player can handle.

2 hours ago, tas said:

vancouver fans dump this at cloutier's feet because of unfair resentment they hold towards him from 15 years ago. in reality, neither markstrom nor nilsson are nhl calibre starters and never will be, and when you only have 2 quality top 4 defencemen on the team, that really compounds the issue. 

Without knowing the story or too much about, I doubt its because of resentment... If they resented Clouts doubt they would have offered him the job in the first place...

It hasn't worked out with the two keepers so far, so they will try something different before they can them.

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

Without knowing the story or too much about, I doubt its because of resentment... If they resented Clouts doubt they would have offered him the job in the first place...

It hasn't worked out with the two keepers so far, so they will try something different before they can them.

note the word "fans" ...

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

I was just going to say isn't Ian Clark available but looks like someone beat me to it.

Seems like that is where the interview process should start (and maybe end).

Is that French Canadian guy who coached Luongo, Allaire?  Let's get him. 

I don't understand the way people apply logic. 

cloutier was a crappy goalie (which is nonsense), therefore he's a crappy goalie coach.

rollie melanson was a career backup with a career goals against of damn near 4 and save percentage in the .880's.

ugh. 

44 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Clark is widely credited for Bobrovsky’s success.

Although clearly it was a partnership and Bob deserves just as much, if not more, credit for his improvement. He’s considered one of the hardest working goalies in the league (when it comes to his training). So much so that Clark sometimes would send him home from practice and make him rest because Bobrovsky never wanted to stop working.

But Clark definitely made Bobrovsky work. Story is that before the lockout, Clark wrote a 100 page tome specifically for Bobrovsky containing instructions for his training.

Also reportedly designed diet and exercise plans to reshape his body (made him lose something like 17 pounds one offseason).

And, of course, Clark is the guy who trained Bob in “Reverse-VH.” 

Clark has designed detailed offseason plans for Bobrovsky the past 7 years. And worked extremely closely with him during the season on his technique. Clark’s also apparently a data guy and collects stats and studies hours of video, always looking to improve. He’s also said to have helped Bobrovsky with his mental game, focus, and preparation.

But it really seems like they were a great match. Bobrovsky apparently has an amazing work ethic. And if a player wants to work hard, Clark is the type of coach who will put in the time creating a plan with as much structured, detailed work as a player can handle.

Thanks Sid, as always you are a good source for hockey knowledge lol. Cheers

40 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I was just going to say isn't Ian Clark available but looks like someone beat me to it.

Seems like that is where the interview process should start (and maybe end).

Others with more familiarity with goalie techniques and the specific strengths and weaknesses of our NHL tenders and upcoming prospects could comment on whether or not the “fit” is good with Clark. I honestly don’t understand the ins and outs of that position well enough to offer an informed opinion.

But as far as Clark’s reputation, it’s top notch. Highly professional. Detail oriented. Extremely thorough and dedicated. And world renowned as an innovator when it comes to some of the modern techniques.

He’s considered a big time “name” when it comes to goalie coaches/consultants. So if the fit is right, then yeah, you just hire the guy and stop interviews if he wants the job. Unlikely you’ll find a guy available this summer with a higher profile or more respect around the league.

I don't hate Clouts like a lot of folks on here, but consistency was an issue for our goaltenders. Clouts as more of a support figure or an assistant goalie coach (is that a thing?) might be better. I'm open to a new goalie coach.

7 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

having clouts of all guys as the main goalie coach, in the first place, made NO sense at all. i know people have a soft spot for clouts but i dont

Why do you feel this way?

He might be a good goalie coach. He might be a crap one. His skills as a player mean approximately nothing as far as his skills as a coach go.

Being able to see what the player(s) cannot, and find a way to fix it. That's what makes a good coach - goalie or otherwise. The methods vary to the individual, as do what each individual respond to.

One thing people could never accuse Cloutier of is a lack of battle - And that's usually a good thing from any coach. A desire to win is infectious.

I learned so much from an old man coach who could barely skate, pass or shoot. But he could see the game in a way that we idiot players couldn't, he could think the game from the perspective of what was missing AND what was there - not just one or the other. A lot of people are exceptional at seeing what is there OR what is missing, and maybe be okay at the other side too. He could Articulate what he saw and thought... and that made everybody who took the time to listen and work a much better player.

That's a good coach.

Did Cloutier bring that? Maybe. Maybe not. But unless you were coached by him, you have absolutely no idea. So arguing he was a bad coach on the basis that Lidstrom sent one past him from centre is just biased idiocy.

Archived