The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks looking for a new goaltending coach

cuporbust

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I'm totally shocked!  OMG!!!  :lol::lol:

That Sekeras is a real news breaker!  :lol::lol:

Lol I said it because he is at the draft site and confirmed with someone in the organization.  I didn't have time to make a long post yet. 

5 minutes ago, HC20.0 said:

Not surprising after how disasterous our goaltending was last year. Really miss Rollie. 

vancouver fans dump this at cloutier's feet because of unfair resentment they hold towards him from 15 years ago. in reality, neither markstrom nor nilsson are nhl calibre starters and never will be, and when you only have 2 quality top 4 defencemen on the team, that really compounds the issue. 

Just now, tas said:

vancouver fans dump this at cloutier's feet because of unfair resentment they hold towards him from 15 years ago. in reality, neither markstrom nor nilsson are nhl calibre starters and never will be, and when you only have 2 quality top 4 defencemen on the team, that really compounds the issue. 

Both Markstrom and Nilssen got worse with Cloutier as their coach.  That's why we want a new goalie coach.  We don't want Cloutier to ruin Demko too. 

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Both Markstrom and Nilssen got worse with Cloutier as their coach.  That's why we want a new goalie coach.  We don't want Cloutier to ruin Demko too. 

Carey Price got worse, Schneider got worse with Melanson............goalies have up and down years.Some just aren't talented enough.

Some goalies are going to react differently to different methodology.

People rip on Cloutier for not being a good goalie, therefore what could he possibly teach?

Ken Hitchcock was taught to skate by the Kamloops Blazers players when he coached in the Dub, He would coach from the bench because he didn't grow up playing. He seemed to do alright just by being a student of the game.

All it takes is a certain teaching method and a few tactics to help un-hinge or potentially tap in to a goalies potential. Same thing with QB coaches in the NFL. You just need to mesh with a coach and buy in to their systems and techniques. It's about finding a good match not just about finding a goalie coach who was a good goalie.

For what it is worth, best goalie coach I ever had (and he knows it), was a former player BUT not a former goalie.    He was a decent scorer at equivalent to junior ranks and certainly a high scorer professionally.   He knew two things really well - how to be mentally tough (preparation for games) and how to score on any goalie.   The former changed my a LOT but the latter was really valuable as I had never thought about what the shooter or passer was thinking and looking for.   Probably the best advise ever was this "Hockey is hard, scoring is hard, goaltending is seemingly much easier - if you are positionally solid you will probably stop more than 90% of the shots coming your way so your job is to work on the last 10% - if you can even say 1/5th of those you will be elite".  

I know that sounds beyond simplistic but it resonated with me.   

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

it was also markstrom's first attempt as a starter and nilsson's first year playing with that abysmal defence. not a coincidence. 

4 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

For what it is worth, best goalie coach I ever had (and he knows it), was a former player BUT not a former goalie.    He was a decent scorer at equivalent to junior ranks and certainly a high scorer professionally.   He knew two things really well - how to be mentally tough (preparation for games) and how to score on any goalie.   The former changed my a LOT but the latter was really valuable as I had never thought about what the shooter or passer was thinking and looking for.   Probably the best advise ever was this "Hockey is hard, scoring is hard, goaltending is seemingly much easier - if you are positionally solid you will probably stop more than 90% of the shots coming your way so your job is to work on the last 10% - if you can even say 1/5th of those you will be elite".  

I know that sounds beyond simplistic but it resonated with me.   

I think this is the key to last years goaltending compared to years past. Markstrom , in particular, seemed more "positionally solid " playing behind Miller and would rarely play out of position. Last year I seen him doing the "fish flop" as he was caught out of position numerous times. Is this a different style conveyed to him by his coach(Cloutier)? 

Rob maybe you seen something similar last year or was it mostly "mental" or do our goalies just suck? ::D

2 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I think this is the key to last years goaltending compared to years past. Markstrom , in particular, seemed more "positionally solid " playing behind Miller and would rarely play out of position. Last year I seen him doing the "fish flop" as he was caught out of position numerous times. Is this a different style conveyed to him by his coach(Cloutier)? 

Rob maybe you seen something similar last year or was it mostly "mental" or do our goalies just suck? ::D

I think both the current Canuck goalies can actually be close to elite.   I know their numbers don't suggest that per se but a lot of evidence does.   Look at Spiderman in the WHC - he tweaked on thing on his position and he was a wall and not only won the Gold Medal but was clutch when it mattered the most.   Markstrom for his last 10 games or so also seemed to simplify his game and, voila, a massive improvement.  Ironically, he seemed to improve after Demko came up and played....I think Demko IS about as positionally sound as any goalie I have ever seen at such a young age.   He is scary good on his angles and though I have not a clue to what I about to say but I think Markstrom say something in Demko's game or at practice and a lightbulb went off.   Pure speculation but the timing fits.

I do think these bigger goalies need to make their games simpler and not more complicated - Cloutier was before my time but video shows him to be more active than I would personally think either of the big guys should be.

Archived