The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Toronto police arrest nearly 70 people in overnight raids targeting Five Point Generalz street gang

PhillipBlunt

Toronto police arrest nearly 70 people in overnight raids targeting Five Point Generalz street gang

CBC/Radio-Canada
6 hrs ago

Some 70 people allegedly affiliated with a violent west-end street gang were arrested in raids overnight Thursday, Toronto police said. 

More than 800 police officers executed some 50 warrants targeting the Five Point Generalz, an alleged criminal group  that has roots in the area of Weston Road and Lawrence Avenue West.

The raids were the result of a nine-month investigation into the gang dubbed Project Patton, according to Chief Mark Saunders. Arrests were made in Toronto, Durham, York and Peel regions.

During a news conference at Toronto police headquarters, Saunders said the group has been "operating as a highly co-ordinated criminal organization" that has ties to other criminal elements in the U.S. and Caribbean. 

• a person standing in front of a car: A Toronto police canine squad took part in the raids.
  • a police car parked on a city street: A man is led away in handcuffs during the operation.
  • a group of police officers riding on the back of a truck: Toronto police officers in a neighbourhood near Weston Road and Eglinton Avenue West at around 5 a.m. Thursday.
a person standing in front of a car: A Toronto police canine squad took part in the raids.

3/3 SLIDES

Police recovered a "large quantity" of drugs and firearms during the raids, Saunders said. He also alleged the group is responsible for "numerous violent offences" throughout Toronto, though declined to provide specifics.

"This gang had definite significant impact on violent crimes occurring across the city, but specifically within that area of the city, the west end of the city," he said.

The chief said more information about charges and the details of Project Patton is coming this week.

"The investigation is fluid and there will be more arrests," Saunders told reporters, adding that the probe "dismantled" a significant element of the gang.

The raids come amid a recent spate of gun violence in the GTA, including a shooting at a Scarborough playground that left two girls injured. Saunders denied that public pressure played a role in the decision to execute the warrants now. 

The Five Point Generalz have a long history in Toronto, and have been the target of large-scale police investigations in the past. 

Some good news for a change.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Hopefully the gang issue in Surrey will suffer similar fate soon.

Thats a joke.  More Gang activity in vancouver than Surrey.

Vancouver gangs just buy up our real estate with dirty money and then leave the homes vacate before they can flip them in a few years....

The most organized gang in BC by far are the MLA's that  draw a paycheck in victoria and work  about 1 day or 2 days a month....  That is real organized crime....

4 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Thats a joke.  More Gang activity in vancouver than Surrey.

Vancouver gangs just buy up our real estate with dirty money and then leave the homes vacate before they can flip them in a few years....

The most organized gang in BC by far are the MLA's that  draw a paycheck in victoria and work  about 1 day or 2 days a month....  That is real organized crime....

You're right.

Surrey has no gamg problem and never has.

8 minutes ago, riffraff said:

You're right.

Surrey has no gamg problem and never has.

Correct.  Most Surrey Gangsters skytrain to Surrey every day from downtown Vancouver.....

The skytrain has opened up access to Surrey for so much riffraff to commute out each day and return later ....   you surely can understand this.... 

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Correct.  Most Surrey Gangsters skytrain to Surrey every day from downtown Vancouver.....

The skytrain has opened up access to Surrey for so much riffraff to commute out each day and return later ....   you surely can understand this.... 

They leave their million dollar pads to slum it everyday in Surrey via Skytrain?

I know you're just trolling, its your jam, following your script, slag other areas,bring up politicians... the true gangsters!

I hope your city gets the help it needs. It has tonnes of promise. It was quite moving seeing those thousands of people show up at last weeks rally after those two teenagers were killed execution style. You must also be aware of the request for more police....In Surrey, not Vancouver. 

9 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

They leave their million dollar pads to slum it everyday in Surrey via Skytrain?

I know you're just trolling, its your jam, following your script, slag other areas,bring up politicians... the true gangsters!

I hope your city gets the help it needs. It has tonnes of promise. It was quite moving seeing those thousands of people show up at last weeks rally after those two teenagers were killed execution style. You must also be aware of the request for more police....In Surrey, not Vancouver. 

Million dollar pads in Van-city... LOL...   yes if you are willing to live  in a 100 sq foot closet...

Is there a more over-rated city in North America ? 

Surrey would be better served with its own municipal  police force like Vancouver .   

The city has grown so much recently and because it is such a fantastic place to live... it attracts so many more people.

All cities in BC have major issues with Gangs and Drugs...  Each city in BC now has organized gangs selling on its streets.

Of course larger cities are in the news more often as crimes obviously occur more frequently in larger cities..

I realize your schtick is just to troll .... but   why would Vancouver need more police when more and more homes in Vancouver are just vacate investment properties.....

3 minutes ago, nucklehead said:

and 65 of them are already back on the street...

Policing without the courts / judges  doing their part ( convicting / sentencing ) .  really means nothing..... just a rotating door and solid employment  / over time for police...  take a drive down to first and main and look at all the entrepreneurs.....  gangs are getting rich in the DTES 

50 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Million dollar pads in Van-city... LOL...   yes if you are willing to live  in a 100 sq foot closet...

Is there a more over-rated city in North America ? 

Surrey would be better served with its own municipal  police force like Vancouver .   

The city has grown so much recently and because it is such a fantastic place to live... it attracts so many more people.

All cities in BC have major issues with Gangs and Drugs...  Each city in BC now has organized gangs selling on its streets.

Of course larger cities are in the news more often as crimes obviously occur more frequently in larger cities..

I realize your schtick is just to troll .... but   why would Vancouver need more police when more and more homes in Vancouver are just vacate investment properties.....

That is what i was saying...if they can afford a Vancouver apt...why would they travel via Skytrain to hang out in Surrey?

Van over rated? maybe, its always voted one of the best cities on the planet. Over priced? yes

And I agree again. You should get your own police force. But the reason for requesting for police at the moment is due to the gang problems increasing, not just that the population is growing. I was a member of DT BarWatch when I ran a couple nightclubs, I learned too much about our local groups.

I meant what i said about Surrey, it has a lot of good things going. The clean up  of the tent city to housing this week was great to see.

I really dont think I'm a troll. But its hard to know how you look through other peoples eyes. For the record I did not call you directly a troll, just pointed out that you were 'trolling' as you were once again bringing up politics in yet another gang thread. I understand what you mean...i was a punk as a kid...the cops, the government, the man...theyre all the real gangs! still not the thread for this convo imo.

btw, speaking punk rock, I remember you saying you used to watch No Means No at  the Railway Club...thats where I met my wife. I also toured the west coast opening for them with my band...and even shared a rehearsal space with Rob Wright when he was working on his Mr Wrong stuff. ahhh the old days.

peace KOS. no hard feelings, just defending my DT Vancouver, i love it like you do your home.

9 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

peace KOS. no hard feelings, just defending my DT Vancouver, i love it like you do your home.

No means No at the railway club... sitting  up front  and in the action.

Those were the days .... when a concert meant you were 10 feet away from the band and drinking great beer  all night from friendly bar staff......

Vancouver in the 80's was such a great city before all they hype... and money moved in. 

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

No means No at the railway club... sitting  up front  and in the action.

Those were the days .... when a concert meant you were 10 feet away from the band and drinking great beer  all night from friendly bar staff......

Vancouver in the 80's was such a great city before all they hype... and money moved in. 

The 90's was pretty good to what with Salvador Dream, Mystery Machine, Copyright, Rascalz, and Swollen Members

59 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The 90's was pretty good to what with Salvador Dream, Mystery Machine, Copyright, Rascalz, and Swollen Members

The 90's in Van were amazing. The Town Pump closing was one of the saddest things, everyone was going to can music ( think it turned into a flop called Sonar?)

Thank you for mentioning Salvador Dream. we actually shared the same rehearsal spot with them as we did Rob from No means No.

Ray from Salvador Dream was one of the best drummers I have ever had the pleasure to be around. Such a talent and a beautiful human. He went on to do some cool down tempo nights at the Chameleon. I heard he passed away a few years back, such a loss. Taken from us way too soon. RIP Ray. 

I bet you and I have been in the same places and even met in real life some eons ago Phil.

Archived