The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Markus Granlund, 1 year x 1.475

about the right price for a bottom 6 guy. He replacable but it's good we don't have to bother with that. Grans camp may regret not going for a multi year deal at about 1.8 but I do like the team having the control so good job benning. Not often I get to say that.

An sorry guys, but he's not a 20 goal scorer in the NHL. many players have a fluke season and I'll be surprised if he gets more than 12 next season. That doesn't mean he's a useless terrible player, just not the overrated player this thread is making him out to be.

I like it.

Can be deployed in any situation, and won't hurt us to do it. Not overpaid and can bring some 'mild' offense to the table. Maybe he finds a bit more game over the summer, but he's definitely being paid for what he brings 'now' as opposed to what he 'might bring' like some other names out there.

Solid.

2 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Now if he could be flipped for a second rounder, that'd be great. I like him but I'd like another 2nd rounder more. And he must be worth more now than when we traded for him.

That's not ideal, Canucks traded a former first rounder to get him, I'd rather keep the bird in hand who has shown a lot of promise and see if he can have a bit of a break out year.

2 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Now if he could be flipped for a second rounder, that'd be great. I like him but I'd like another 2nd rounder more. And he must be worth more now than when we traded for him.

Why? Granlund is only 26 and, statistically speaking, has exceeded expectations for a second round pick. 

I'm not opposed to moving him but only if he was part of a package for a higher pick or better roster player. 

2 hours ago, Down by the River said:

I don't see any scenario in which Granlund is not worth 1.5 million. 

Here's one scenario - his fiance starts fake name Twitter attacks on Canuck team players/wives.    The "Hoffman" scenario is one that would invalidate his worth.    Another scenario would be if he was caught with a barnyard animal in his hotel room and they were in a compromising position.   See, there are some scenarios.

You did say "any" scenario......sorry, too much coffee tonight waiting for your timezone to get the bloody draft started.   

2 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

1 hour ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Good deal for Granlund.  I'm not sure if I see him in the top 6 next season but he's a very versatile player.

As a matter of discussion, I know Green played him at center last season but he has never really struck me as a center.  Where do you guys see Granlund fitting into the roster next season (based on the current roster)? 

To me, Granlund seems like a guy who would fit well with Sutter as a two-way forward but it also seems like a waste as Sutter gets so many d-zone starts that it would presumably limit Granlund's production (I'm of the mind that he can at least match his totals from 2 seasons ago).  I personally see Granlund as a winger playing in a bottom 9 role but provided with more o-zone starts on a responsible 2-way line (instead of on a shutdown line) but then the Canucks aren't exactly stocked with solid centers right now.  Perhaps a Granlund-Gaudette-RW line might work (assuming Gaudette makes the team but I'm of the mind that he'll start in Utica).

A few weeks ago I started a thread asking about what the RFAs would get (Granlund, Baertschi, Pouliot, Stecher, Virtanen). I just boosted it in case anyone wants to review the predictions. A number of people (including me) had Granlund at 1.5, but most people had him a bit higher -- in the 1.5 to 2.0 range. Still, not far off.

So I think this signing is at the right number.

As expected, on the day of the signing there is a fair amount of optimism regarding Granlund. I personally am not so optimistic.

So far he has played 224 games and has 75 pts for 0.33 PPG. That is a decent third line level, but quite a long way from second line level. And looking just at pts probably, if anything, overstates his value.  He is a cumulative -35 in those 224 games, which is not good. He is a decent but not great skater and he does not contribute much to the physical game. To start last season he played shutdown with Sutter and Dorsett until Dorsett was injured. That line did very well as a shutdown line, but Green made changes after that, with the only constant being that Sutter played shutdown all year.

The problem is that when Granlund focused on defence he was pretty good defensively, but his offense dried up. Last year he ended up with only 12 pts in 53 games, which is not enough even for a good shutdown player or even for a 4th liner on a good team. He was 25 last year (turns 26 in August) and should, on the basis of age, not be far of his peak performance (which, on average, comes about 26 for forwards).

There is a chance he has a bounce-back year this year and I have heard Green say he is hoping for that, while also saying that Granlund had a disappointing year last year. But Granlund will have his work cut out for him to make the top 9 coming out of camp, especially if the Canucks pick up a good bottom 6 forward as a UFA.

18 minutes ago, JamesB said:

The problem is that when Granlund focused on defence he was pretty good defensively, but his offense dried up.  Last year he ended up with only 12 pts in 53 games, which is not enough even for a good shutdown player or even for a 4th liner on a good team. He was 25 last year (turns 26 in August) and should, on the basis of age, not be far of his peak performance (which, on average, comes about 26 for forwards).

So oversimplified, particularly for an 'analyticz' guy. 

paralysis by 'analysis'

Solid tools, Good signing, get to see more enthusiasm from Granlund.. works well placed on any line, or situation.. he is the type of unsung player who would be left unchecked in playoff competition and perform exceptionally well.

I hope he weighs in at 195-200, has a spectacular year, and is Re-signed before the 2018-19 season is finished, or used as a solid asset with another player in a trade to upgrade a weakness on our team

4 hours ago, Canuck Drogo said:

I’m really not trying to be negative here, but do you recall two seasons ago when he was at 19 goals. He came into the next game and played like an absolute beast. He dominated the game and got an insane amount of shots off. Unfortunately he just fell short of 20 goals. 

It then came out the next day that he knew his season was being shut down for a surgery, and that had he’d reached the 20 goal mark he would’ve gotten a substantial bonus. 

What bothers me about this is just how good he showed he can be when he really wants to. If we could somehow keep him motivated like he was on that night then he would be a fantastic player. 

Kind of reminds me of Mason Raymond when he came back from the back injury, he played like a different player for about 2 games and that was the end of that lol.

7 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Why? Granlund is only 26 and, statistically speaking, has exceeded expectations for a second round pick. 

I'm not opposed to moving him but only if he was part of a package for a higher pick or better roster player. 

He just turned 25 yrs old in April.. This is a very good signing as he plays a good 200 foot game and has talent..

I think he could score 25 goals on LW with Bo..

He could take Beartchi spot on LW...

16 hours ago, oldnews said:

So oversimplified, particularly for an 'analyticz' guy. 

paralysis by 'analysis'

Expecting a book of analytics on Granny? 

It's a forum, sometimes people will just post their observations in a simple way. 

On ‎2018‎-‎06‎-‎22 at 2:12 PM, kingofsurrey said:

Tweener

Not enough skill for top 6

Not enough grit for bottom 6

Granny really needs to step it up this season if he wants to stay in the top league in the world.....

On the contrary, I believe because he can play both it makes him not great at either but good at both. I have seen him show examples of skill and I have also seen him play some very good defensive hockey. I have even seen him play with a little grit even though he is not any type of goon type player. 

I think this year would be a good season to show management how good of an all round 200 ft. game he really has and now he has a contract in which to do that, just hope TG gives him the chance to show what he can do.

Archived