The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

An intentional Rebuild (Proposals/Discussion) Long Read

As many have said, be are in the middle of a rebuild. Now, with limited resources, we must be strategic in our moves. This particular year, a year In which Phase 2 should begin.

Now, why I am calling this phase 2 , is that we have moved slowly through phase 1 in the past few years, with last year being the first year where Benning really started to fill the

prospects cupboard.

We are now ranked top 10 in our prospects, but as prospects graduate to the big club, we will have to continue to refill those cupboards, the following is the plan to phases 2 and 3

which should put us in a very good competitive position for years to come.

Now you may ask why we should do the moves I suggest and why in the order I suggest. The answer which will give away, some of the plan, is that todays draft is full of top tier

defensemen, and where experts and draft analyst's have been quoted as saying that the first 50 prospects, could all be considered to have 1st round type player potential. This is where 

Phase 2 starts.

Let us consider 2 trades this year (phase 2)

1. Tanev to Toronto                           for             2018 25th OA + 2018 52nd OA + Rasanen (2017 59th OA RDH)

2. Goldobin + Sutter@50%                for             2018 28th to 34th OA

Trade 1 gets us fair market value for Tanev and gives us a good young defensive prospect, plus the picks. We are not getting more, but I suggest we can get that.

We replace Tanev via UFA, and we should not be worried about doing so, we will be able to replace him.

Trade 2, is more designed to grad a faller and although Lind was picked with our own 2nd, he was a faller, and people should be focused on the future potential and

the ease in which these players can be replaced internally and through the UFA market.

This will leave us with the following picks for the up and coming draft (today)

7th OA

25th OA

32nd OA

37th OA

52nd OA

68th OA...………….(there may be some merit to using this pick or the 5, 6 or 7 round picks to move up........a calculated risk)

** MDZ or Hutton maybe moved, and provide an additional pick at this draft.....(should be done/probably won't)

This is pretty much like what Montreal is going to drafting this year (6 in the first 3 rounds), the Islanders also have 6 in the first 3 rounds, and the New York Rangers

have a whopping 7 picks in the first 3 rounds (including 3 in the first round)...this will conclude the drafting part of Phase 2...…...the players picked will be done by

Benning and their scouting department ( no suggestions given)

Phase 3, will again include, moving veteran Assets, and will be the end of the condensing of draft picks...…(At the end of the 2019 draft)

The moving of Alex Edler will be a much more difficult chore, but I believe Benning can do this at the 2019 TDL, it will most assuredly be a bench mark move, as he will

be the end of moving core players. (It also must be noted, that Edler may come back, after seasons end, in a deal that will run until Edler retires) I will give an estimated

Trade value, so as to illustrate how, our draft positions will be impacted...…..

It should be noted that the 2019 draft will just about be the opposite of the 2018 draft, where this year there is a bounty of defensemen, the 2019 draft will be a draft full of

Centers, with 4 Centers projected to go 1, 2, 3, 4 at this moment.....In general, the 2019 draft will be another strong draft, again full of centers and wingers.. in 2019

the following is a projection of the Canucks draft board, with Edler being traded. (All picks are estimated on the premise we will have a down season in 2018-2019.

2019   5th OA...…...never expect any better

2019   28th OA...….Edler pick ( 28th OA est.)

2019   33rd OA...….(yes we place 2nd to last)

2019   59th OA...….Edler trade

2019   64th OA...….Our own pick

* Markstrom may be traded at this time as well, depending on Demko's development

The above phase 2 and 3 trades will be the condensing of picks I am always emphatically ask for, and will gives us 11 picks from the 1st to 3rd rounds in the following

2 years. ( 4 - 1sts, 5 -2nds, and 2 very high 3rds)

This is basically how, the rangers, and Islanders, and to some degree Philadelphia are doing their rebuilds, as they are condensing draft picks...…………………...

Our only real choice IMO, is how and who we sign as UFA's over this 2 year period. This is not a incredible reach, and IMO should be done if possible.

Hope we move on this direction...……………….3 1/2 to find out! lol

Goldobin and Sutter for a 28-34 pick is an absolutely atrocious deal.

Tanev for volume of low percentage picks (25%, 15%, Rasanen = what does that add up to) is also a bad deal imo.

This team is simply not that hard up for low percentage picks = awful deals to trade key roster pieces for these dreams of outliers.

7 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Goldobin and Sutter for a 28-34 pick is an absolutely atrocious deal.

Tanev for volume of low percentage picks (25%, 15%, Rasanen = what does that add up to) is also a bad deal imo.

This team is simply not that hard up for low percentage picks = awful deals to trade key roster pieces for these dreams of outliers.

why is Sutter so under-rated on CDC?

If we end up with Zadina or Tkachuk I'd be OK with trading Baer for a low 2nd/high 3rd even with the low percentage consequences. 

Tanev has to come back with a 1st round pick and a roster-ready guy under 23 otherwise teams can go for coffee. 

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

why is Sutter so under-rated on CDC?

Because every player that shares a line with Sutter has a career low season in terms of offensive production........

Sutter is way overpaid for what he contributes to the roster. He also looks to be breaking down and losing more games to injury.

Smart teams sell before assets decline too much..

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Because every player that shares a line with Sutter has a career low season in terms of offensive production........

Sutter is way overpaid for what he contributes to the roster. He also looks to be breaking down and losing more games to injury.

Good thing he isn't an offensive center who is relied upon for production or this commentary might make sense.

3 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

Good thing he isn't an offensive center who is relied upon for production or this commentary might make sense.

his contract says otherwise.... so that makes zEro sense...

4.3 mil checker  on a non playoff team....   nice contract... his agent deserves a massive bonus...

1 minute ago, RonMexico said:

OIC. Only offensive players earn the right to be paid more because production.

4.3 mil    3 C   /  checker  on a non playoff team....   nice contract... his agent deserves a massive bonus...

24 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

King he starts 80% in the d-zone and is our main matchup player. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I am happy to be a rebuilding club.

In my mind,  Sutter is the guy to put your club deeper in the playoffs...  I see his 2 way game.

Just don't see his age fitting with our clubs new core.  I know he helps our club compete now... ... but still we are not a playoff team.

He turns 30 next year.  His best years are now behind him.....

I would rather see his cap space be used on our D corp.  Our club is VERY weak on D and we could really use a quality well paid UFA dman added to  our D.  

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Salary Cap.  Would rather see some of that cap hit go to our weak D ..... 

I dunno man. I guess we just enjoy sports for vastly different reasons. I have zero interest in the business side of the team. Players salaries are inconsequential.

25 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

2cpxou.jpg

16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Todd Bertuzzi said it best "Sutter is on a good contract for the Canucks.   Some lesser knowledgeable fans will complain about him but hockey people see him as one of the best defensive forwards in the league and has great wheels and can chip in decent offense".   

23 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

Why do you care about player salaries at all?

I was not going to make a comment in this thread, but I want to respond to this. Most Cup-contending teams are close to the Cap, so all have very similar total payrolls. The team that wins is the team that has best production per dollar. That is just arithmetic. When the Canucks were very good in 2010-12 it was because they had great value per dollar. The Sedins were great value for their cap hits of 6 million. Kesler was good value at 5 million. Hammer was great value at 4.6. Ehrhoff was great value while he was here, Edler was good value and Burrows was good value. Luongo was also great value, although obviously the term of his contract was a problem.

In recent years, when the Canucks have done poorly, the performance per dollar has been poor.

To win it is important to have contributions from guys with low cap hits and to have elite players with reasonable cap hits. This year Washington had some vets with fairly high cap hits but they were productive enough that the value was very good. 

Archived