The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

An intentional Rebuild (Proposals/Discussion) Long Read

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Todd Bertuzzi said it best "Sutter is on a good contract for the Canucks.   Some lesser knowledgeable fans will complain about him but hockey people see him as one of the best defensive forwards in the league and has great wheels and can chip in decent offense".   

Just Bert being Bert.....   Of course he is going show respect to Sutter.  

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Just Bert being Bert.....   Of course he is going show respect to Sutter.  

Really?   He threw shade at others.  He seemed like a pretty smart dude when I heard him.....and he was emphatic about Sutter but you could be right that he know Brandon and is standing up for a bro.    I personally think Sutter is underrated - few in NHL have his Dzone starts and are plus players (particularly on such a minus team).   He is big, can skate, is awesome in the circle and has decent hands when he uses them.   In today's salary terms, I would not call him a "bargain" but for what he brings, I don't an issue with his AAV at all.

9 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Really?   He threw shade at others.  He seemed like a pretty smart dude when I heard him.....and he was emphatic about Sutter but you could be right that he know Brandon and is standing up for a bro.    I personally think Sutter is underrated - few in NHL have his Dzone starts and are plus players (particularly on such a minus team).   He is big, can skate, is awesome in the circle and has decent hands when he uses them.   In today's salary terms, I would not call him a "bargain" but for what he brings, I don't an issue with his AAV at all.

Speaking of C's

Is this the year Cole Cassels gets a few games with the Canucks ?  Prediction ?

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Speaking of C's

Is this the year Cole Cassels gets a few games with the Canucks ?  Prediction ?

I wasn't sure CC was ever going to see the NHL until the last half the past season where he was a very effective AHL player and actually showed signs of life in the offensive manner as well.   He has had some nagging injury stuff and he may really have just grown into his adult mind/body.   If he starts AHL season the way he ended the last one, I see some NHL games in his future with almost certainty.   

23 minutes ago, JamesB said:

I was not going to make a comment in this thread, but I want to respond to this. Most Cup-contending teams are close to the Cap, so all have very similar total payrolls. The team that wins is the team that has best production per dollar. That is just arithmetic. When the Canucks were very good in 2010-12 it was because they had great value per dollar. The Sedins were great value for their cap hits of 6 million. Kesler was good value at 5 million. Hammer was great value at 4.6. Ehrhoff was great value while he was here, Edler was good value and Burrows was good value. Luongo was also great value, although obviously the term of his contract was a problem.

In recent years, when the Canucks have done poorly, the performance per dollar has been poor.

To win it is important to have contributions from guys with low cap hits and to have elite players with reasonable cap hits. This year Washington had some vets with fairly high cap hits but they were productive enough that the value was very good. 

Can't argue with that. I was more or less saying it from a personal perspective. I know some fans enjoy all aspects of a sports franchise, and some like myself, could care less about the performance per dollar.

I suggest trading 4 players over 2 years, and you guys have a heart attack over values...……...

I say, we can replace them through UFA and internally over time. So let's talk about these guys.these are just examples of their replacements

Tanev...………$4,475,000 per...……...Carlson ($8,000,000) Green ($7,000,000)

Sutter...………$4, 375,000 per...……...Stastney ($7,750,000)  , Riley Nash ($3,500,000)

Goldobin...……...$863,000 per...……...Baertschi ($2,500,000)

Edler...……… .$5,000,000 per...……....DeHaan ($5,000,000) Hickey ($4,500,000) John Moore ($3,500,000)

These are just a snippet of what is out of this year, next year is even better...………...we need to move on, when the value is high, do we not remember what happened to Hamhuis?...…...We just should not wait and have other teams dictate what we should take, which is what happens when you wait with the none elite. This is the year to

start this process..... 

We are already suffering...….make use of the time! Move the players that can be replaced, and take the picks in years when we can improve the team...………..

All 4 of the above players are skilled, which is why I suggest moving them now.....because

Tanev is known to be injured alot...that devalues him, if he has more injuries, he will be worth less, and less

Sutter is replaceable at a cost, and he may be able to pull in more value

Goldobin is stuck in a traffic jam...……..and is still a prospect that we have a lot of

Edler has played well this year, but is aging.....decent value right now......but for how long?

Now if you have a problem with value....step in and make a suggestion, but picks are the future and the prospect will not be elite, which is what we are looking for

and what picks provide …..opportunity! Chance and future!

There are plenty of charts and graphs that show that the quantity of picks to be as valuable in most case as quality of picks (out side of the top 10) in most cases

I can not see where when adding extra picks that are first and seconds, that this suggestion does not increase our odds of picking elite players outside of the top 

5 to 10 Overall. 

And in either case, we end up with prospects that can be traded for needed prospects if need be...….

We have cap space....this is the time! Come on Canucks!

Archived