The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luc Bourdon's Potential

Nucks89

2 hours ago, tas said:

we can't even stop treating them like 1 dimensional videogame characters after they've been dead for almost a decade?

come on, folks. 

I don't see why his potential career isn't a valid topic for discussion.  I mean, it's been a long time and we all know him because he was drafted to play hockey for the Canucks.  As long as his memory isn't disrespected, why not discuss where his career was heading?  Hockey was certainly a big part of his life.

As to the original post, no his number should not be retired.  There is a difference between dying young and making the contributions to the organization of Linden, Sedin, Sedin, etc.  There are ways to memorialize Bourdon, perhaps in a walkway that features "gone too soon" players like Bourdon, Maki, Rypien, Demitra, etc.  But jersey retirement is a separate matter with a different purpose, and I would try not to mix the meanings.

31 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I don't see why his potential career isn't a valid topic for discussion.  I mean, it's been a long time and we all know him because he was drafted to play hockey for the Canucks.  As long as his memory isn't disrespected, why not discuss where his career was heading?  Hockey was certainly a big part of his life.

As to the original post, no his number should not be retired.  There is a difference between dying young and making the contributions to the organization of Linden, Sedin, Sedin, etc.  There are ways to memorialize Bourdon, perhaps in a walkway that features "gone too soon" players like Bourdon, Maki, Rypien, Demitra, etc.  But jersey retirement is a separate matter with a different purpose, and I would try not to mix the meanings.

Because enough is enough. Who cares what his potential could have been, or if he could have ever lived up to it? He's gone, that's life. Life moves on, and sorry to say but anyone focused on and hung up over a player drafted 12 years ago and what he could have meant to the team needs to give their head a shake.

Put it into perspective, this literally does not matter and that's not a disrespect to the person Luc was or his memory now or ever. It's simply fact, deal with it however best you can and move on. If you were a member of his immediate/extended family, I could see, but you certainly wouldn't be talking about him in the context of hockey, it would be of him as a person, and it's a pretty safe bet you didn't know him, moreover you wouldn't be reminiscing on a public forum, you would be doing so privately.

As for the OP, troll thread is troll. This was posted probably immediately after it was announced the Canucks drafted Hughes. Mods would be able to see the exact timestamps, all we see are relative times. I say lock this one up and throw away the key.

1 hour ago, VanGnome said:

Because enough is enough. Who cares what his potential could have been, or if he could have ever lived up to it? He's gone, that's life. Life moves on, and sorry to say but anyone focused on and hung up over a player drafted 12 years ago and what he could have meant to the team needs to give their head a shake.

Put it into perspective, this literally does not matter and that's not a disrespect to the person Luc was or his memory now or ever. It's simply fact, deal with it however best you can and move on. If you were a member of his immediate/extended family, I could see, but you certainly wouldn't be talking about him in the context of hockey, it would be of him as a person, and it's a pretty safe bet you didn't know him, moreover you wouldn't be reminiscing on a public forum, you would be doing so privately.

As for the OP, troll thread is troll. This was posted probably immediately after it was announced the Canucks drafted Hughes. Mods would be able to see the exact timestamps, all we see are relative times. I say lock this one up and throw away the key.

It's hockey discussion for hockey fans.  Discussing what Bourdon might have achieved, or what Neely would have achieved if he'd stayed with the Canucks (or Rick Vaive or Bill Derlago or Murray Bannerman or anyone else of significance) is just that - hockey discussion for hockey fans.  And it's actually pretty detailed discussion requiring knowledge of Canucks and/or NHL history, which beats the "hockey talk" that I hear on the airwaves most of the time.  You can only take so much of "will Edler waive" and "Tanev gets hurt too much" and "would Dave Pratt sleep with Kate Upton after three beers" before I wouldn't mind something else.  Talking about historical players and events isn't being "hung up" on anything.  Why not talk about Luc Bourdon?  What is it hurting?

23 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

It's hockey discussion for hockey fans.  Discussing what Bourdon might have achieved, or what Neely would have achieved if he'd stayed with the Canucks (or Rick Vaive or Bill Derlago or Murray Bannerman or anyone else of significance) is just that - hockey discussion for hockey fans.  And it's actually pretty detailed discussion requiring knowledge of Canucks and/or NHL history, which beats the "hockey talk" that I hear on the airwaves most of the time.  You can only take so much of "will Edler waive" and "Tanev gets hurt too much" and "would Dave Pratt sleep with Kate Upton after three beers" before I wouldn't mind something else.  Talking about historical players and events isn't being "hung up" on anything.  Why not talk about Luc Bourdon?  What is it hurting?

Take the OP post into consideration, my last statement then revisit the need for this thread. Bourdon is certainly not the most prolific player we have ever drafted if you want to take it there, so outside of his untimely demise what warrants the incessant digging up of what this player would, or would not have done?

Archived