The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

13 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

"They be running to the podium if Vilardi is still available at 5"

i'm really not sure why the writers for the Province are so confident sometimes, they are not even scouts, its hilarious.

http://naturalstattrick.com/game.php?season=20192020&game=20453#shiftchart

I posted ;this link.  It shows exactly how good Hughes is.

Game tracked was the most recent game against the Sabres.

When he was out there, the team out shot the Sabres 23-5 

go to Canucks-Opposition open Quin Hughes and click on All for situations.

he also spent most of his ice time against Eichel, Reinhart, and Skinner.  He's literally playing the top pairing role for us as of today, not in 3 years, TODAY.

While many fans wanted Hughes, it's clear he was far from the consensus pick. Glass, Mittelstadt, and Vilardi were the three most desired if I recall by the majority. Sure looking back he was far better than all three, but I wouldn't go blasting the Province for touting what was, at the time, a reasonable opinion.

EDIT: Mixing up Pettersson draft with Hughes draft, my bad.

11 hours ago, -AJ- said:

While many fans wanted Hughes, it's clear he was far from the consensus pick. Glass, Mittelstadt, and Vilardi were the three most desired if I recall by the majority. Sure looking back he was far better than all three, but I wouldn't go blasting the Province for touting what was, at the time, a reasonable opinion.

lolol wrong draft bud.  Hughes was the consensus pick by almost everyone when he fell to us.  Some people thought Bouchard or Dobson, but really we all wanted the dynamic defenseman.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, -AJ- said:While many fans wanted Hughes, it's clear he was far from the consensus pick. Glass, Mittelstadt, and Vilardi were the three most desired if I recall by the majority. Sure looking back he was far better than all three, but I wouldn't go blasting the Province for touting what was, at the time, a reasonable opinion.

That's not the way I remember it. The majority of the draft rankings had Hughes gone before our pick. I remember being happily shocked when I found out we had landed Hughes, because I wanted him but thought he would be taken at 3rd or 4th overall, well before our turn to pick.

Specifically, of the latest draft rankings, i.e. the dozen made in May and June, he was ranked 7th in one ranking, he was ranked higher than that in 8 rankings, and only three analysts had him going later than our pick.

Edited by WeneedLumme
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rindiculous said:

lolol wrong draft bud.  Hughes was the consensus pick by almost everyone when he fell to us.  Some people thought Bouchard or Dobson, but really we all wanted the dynamic defenseman.

Yikes there. My bad. I still don't think the majority wanted Hughes and think it was a close decision between Hughes, Bouchard, and Dobson, but it's closer than I thought.

17 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Yikes there. My bad. I still don't think the majority wanted Hughes and think it was a close decision between Hughes, Bouchard, and Dobson, but it's closer than I thought.

Well, TheGuardian certainly claimed Hughes was the worst choice, and lowest rated, out of any of the top ranked D not named Dahlin in that draft. Didn't let little things like aggregate draft rankings that mostly had Hughes as top D after Dahin stop him either. :rolleyes:

Edited by HerrDrFunk

1 hour ago, smokes said:

Who got the better brother, New Jersey or Vancouver?

Hard to say.  Quinn is 18months older and has had the benefit of bridging his junior years to pro by going the NCAA route.

Jack has a very similar skillset to Quinn, so I think it's likely he will have great success with NJ (given time to adjust to playing in the NHL).  I will be very surprised if he isn't showing that he is an upcoming star by the end of this season.

20 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

"They be running to the podium if Vilardi is still available at 5"

i'm really not sure why the writers for the Province are so confident sometimes, they are not even scouts, its hilarious.

http://naturalstattrick.com/game.php?season=20192020&game=20453#shiftchart

I posted ;this link.  It shows exactly how good Hughes is.

Game tracked was the most recent game against the Sabres.

When he was out there, the team out shot the Sabres 23-5 

go to Canucks-Opposition open Quin Hughes and click on All for situations.

he also spent most of his ice time against Eichel, Reinhart, and Skinner.  He's literally playing the top pairing role for us as of today, not in 3 years, TODAY.

This is something that few are talking about.  I would love it of some bright intelligent, dare I say handsome stats geek run Quinn's advanced stats and say compare his play to Makar and Dahlin's rookie year to see how he is stacking up.  MVP of the team.  Also I don't know if any other player in the league has had a bigger individual impact on a teams over all play.  

On 12/10/2019 at 9:24 AM, -AJ- said:

I think it was largely a case of most people assuming he'd be gone by 7 and not even an option. People were 'resigned' to the 'fact' that we'd be picking after him and have our choice if Bouchard, Dobson, Boqvist, Wahlstrom etc.

If people knew he was a legit option at 7, you'd have seen far more people throwing their support behind picking him. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

I think it was largely a case of most people assuming he'd be gone by 7 and not even an option. People were 'resigned' to the 'fact' that we'd be picking after him and have our choice if Bouchard, Dobson, Boqvist, Wahlstrom etc.

If people knew he was a legit option at 7, you'd have seen far more people throwing their support behind picking him. 

For sure. I think JB was as pleasantly surprised as I was that Quinn was still available at 7. That clip of him saying, "that was a home run" was about Hughes wasn't it? You don't say that if you just got what you were expecting to get.

• Cheers 1

Just now, WeneedLumme said:

For sure. I think JB was as pleasantly surprised as I was that Quinn was still available at 7. That clip of him saying, "that was a home run" was about Hughes wasn't it? You don't say that if you just got what you were expecting to get.

Last game against TO the Canucks were 14-0 on the shot clock with Quinn on the ice in Period 1.  Quinn drives possession like no other player in the league.  He's a phenom, and is only scratching the surface of how truly great he will be.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Last game against TO the Canucks were 14-0 on the shot clock with Quinn on the ice in Period 1.  Quinn drives possession like no other player in the league.  He's a phenom, and is only scratching the surface of how truly great he will be.  

is that correct? holy sh!t 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

is that correct? holy sh!t 

Heard that stat on the radio this am.  It's not just that one period either.  The Canucks out shoot their opponents 7-3 (for every total 10 shots) with Quinn on the ice.  He is the best driver of play in the league.