The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, thrago said:

Awesome thanks guys. I've seen Quinns skating but that's vs college players which makes it hard to translate. If he can skate like Barzal in the NHL that will be fantastic. 

Yeah the main similarities are his edge work and agility. The both know how to position their feet and push through their legs to pivot and turn fast and sharp in order to avoid checkers

24 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

Yeah the main similarities are his edge work and agility. The both know how to position their feet and push through their legs to pivot and turn fast and sharp in order to avoid checkers

Barzal is one of the best skaters in the League so that's good company to keep.

16 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Crotchturd needs to be administered a gut punch by Gudbranson.

Baahhhaahhhaa...I like that name...gross tho...You have me pondering how a turd get's in ones crotch?? (I mean really, it's disturbing to think about it)...but then boom, there he is in all his glory. Ladies and gentlemen, Crotchturd the great hits the airwaves to make it all possible, now I can piece the puzzle of my odd disgusting thoughts together and put them into a form that my tiny brain can comprehend and understand.... Thank you Botchford for being a beaming example of all that is turdy and crotchy!! 

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, thrago said:

I keep hearing Quinn was the best skater in the draft which is great. That being said how does he stack up in the NHL? Anyone have a comparable?

Have you ever seen any old clips of Bobby Orr?

He was the first, and probably only defenseman I've ever seen actively turn back after gaining entry to the offensive zone. If it wasn't a flawless entry, or he didn't see a passing option or direct line to the net, he'd just turn back and try it again.

Would never compare him to Orr, but Quinn is the kind of player that can dictate the pace of the game, and it's his skating that allows him to do it.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, nergish said:

Have you ever seen any old clips of Bobby Orr?

He was the first, and probably only defenseman I've ever seen actively turn back after gaining entry to the offensive zone. If it wasn't a flawless entry, or he didn't see a passing option or direct line to the net, he'd just turn back and try it again.

Would never compare him to Orr, but Quinn is the kind of player that can dictate the pace of the game, and it's his skating that allows him to do it.

Quinn’s coach compared him to Orr.  

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Gut punch for Botchford because he loses a whole season of questioning how Hughes is being used and ruined by the Canucks. 

Exactly. You just know he would spin it the other way if Hughes was on the Canucks.

Guy just wants traffic to his articles, and apparently we keep giving to him or he'd be out of a job by now.

11 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Gut punch for Botchford because he loses a whole season of questioning how Hughes is being used and ruined by the Canucks. 

Botch hasn't lost anything. He will simply say, "look how well Hughes is doing in college, the Canucks are ruining him by having play against inferior competition".

2 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

In that second clip, he would have been stapled to the boards instead of having the D roll off of him.  It's an interesting decision (NHL vs college).  I personally was hoping he'd get some AHL time this year.  Would like to see him more physically mature before he hits the NHL though.

34 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

In that second clip, he would have been stapled to the boards instead of having the D roll off of him.  It's an interesting decision (NHL vs college).  I personally was hoping he'd get some AHL time this year.  Would like to see him more physically mature before he hits the NHL though.

In the NHL, if he stapled him from that position, it'd be called boarding. Also, Hughes made it seem like he was going to continue skating towards the endboards/corner so. The defender was staying on his hip but Hughes used his agility to cut back. 

That's what we mean when we say his skating and edge work is phenomenal. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, westcoastsniper said:

The thing with hughes is he's able to take risks as he can get back to defend with his skating even if a player is a step ahead.

Yes, just like Virtanen Hughes is clearly even faster than McDavid:)

12 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

In the NHL, if he stapled him from that position, it'd be called boarding. Also, Hughes made it seem like he was going to continue skating towards the endboards/corner so. The defender was staying on his hip but Hughes used his agility to cut back. 

That's what we mean when we say his skating and edge work is phenomenal. 

Nope.  Not boarding if he angled him off into the boards.  Man he wasn't moving that fast.  He'll be great but I don't think he'll be losing NHL calibre players that easily.....at least not yet.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, westcoastsniper said:

The thing with hughes is he's able to take risks as he can get back to defend with his skating even if a player is a step ahead.

I haven't seen all of the Hughes highlight packages, but is there footage of him doing this? It's very hard to make the turn and catch up to someone after being flat-footed from a bad giveaway leading to a breakaway no matter how good of a skater you are. Or say if he's at the end of a shift or something (eg see Virtanen vs McDavid). There are many scenarios where he likely can't make up for a costly risk.