The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, The_Rocket said:

nor sure if this has been posted before, but I found this in depth breakdown on Hughes’s game from the wjc. 

I watched this a few weeks ago, and I think it is a great video exemplifying the strengths and weaknesses of Quinn's game.

We all know his skating and offensive skills are likely ready to translate to the NHL.  One thing that I found interesting about the shift by shift analysis is that Quinn has this real slick touch of the puck.  You sometimes see certain defenders over handle the puck, but he has such soft hands that literally look like he is barely touhing the puck but makes it look like he is a wizard dancing with the puck on his stick.  That is what I observed too at the prospects camp scrimmage, his ability to just carry the puck everywhere he goes like it is a yo-yo.

There are a few defensive tendencies that he needs to work on. I am glad he chose to go back to Michigan because based on the products that have come out of Michigan, a lot of them are well-rounded defensive prospects (McAvoy, Werenski, Trouba), and Hughes could use a season or two to refine his defensive game.

1) gap control - despite his elite skating, he tends to defend from a distance instead of engaging the opposition.  Not expecting him to be physical, but with his great skating, he should be shadowing the opposition.  If he can commit to skating harder in the defensive zone he will be able to defend a lot better and likely will lead to transitions quicker the other way because he has sealed off the opposition.  He gives them too much time to set up positionally that they get body position over him, and that is when you notice his lack of size on the defensive side of the game. 

2) defensive reads - he needs to be more aware what is going on in the defensive zone.  He often looks like he zeros in on the puck and the puck carrier instead of reading the play around him.  Which often leads him to be out of position or he over commits to a particular side of the play.  This one is the biggest area I feel he needs to improve on.  He can get away with it in lower levels because the opposition is not as strong in making set up plays, but in the pros, not even his elite skating can defend against it.  He needs to be better in his defensive positioning and reads.

3) Body language - he looks engaged in the offensive zone, but defensively he doesn't (or it appears he isn't).  Its weird because its like he is two different players, in the offensive zone, he is actively moving to find open ice, has his stick down, and looks like he is reading the play very well.  Which is why he is usually the one finding the puck on his stick more often than others. 

Defensively though, his stick isn't on the ice ready to intercept pucks in passing lanes, isn't moving his feet (where it often looks like he floating in the defensive zone).  I don't know maybe this is him conserving energy and reading the play instead of wasting a whole lot of energy for nothing, but you can do that but still look engaged and ready to react.  This one is minor, but certainly one that will drive the coach crazy.  We already could see some of that in Juolevi, often looks disinterested.

Im not expecting him to be a defensive wizard like Ryan Suter or Drew Doughty etc.  But he does need to be at least a competent defender.

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I watched this a few weeks ago, and I think it is a great video exemplifying the strengths and weaknesses of Quinn's game.

We all know his skating and offensive skills are likely ready to translate to the NHL.  One thing that I found interesting about the shift by shift analysis is that Quinn has this real slick touch of the puck.  You sometimes see certain defenders over handle the puck, but he has such soft hands that literally look like he is barely touhing the puck but makes it look like he is a wizard dancing with the puck on his stick.  That is what I observed too at the prospects camp scrimmage, his ability to just carry the puck everywhere he goes like it is a yo-yo.

There are a few defensive tendencies that he needs to work on. I am glad he chose to go back to Michigan because based on the products that have come out of Michigan, a lot of them are well-rounded defensive prospects (McAvoy, Werenski, Trouba), and Hughes could use a season or two to refine his defensive game.

1) gap control - despite his elite skating, he tends to defend from a distance instead of engaging the opposition.  Not expecting him to be physical, but with his great skating, he should be shadowing the opposition.  If he can commit to skating harder in the defensive zone he will be able to defend a lot better and likely will lead to transitions quicker the other way because he has sealed off the opposition.  He gives them too much time to set up positionally that they get body position over him, and that is when you notice his lack of size on the defensive side of the game. 

2) defensive reads - he needs to be more aware what is going on in the defensive zone.  He often looks like he zeros in on the puck and the puck carrier instead of reading the play around him.  Which often leads him to be out of position or he over commits to a particular side of the play.  This one is the biggest area I feel he needs to improve on.  He can get away with it in lower levels because the opposition is not as strong in making set up plays, but in the pros, not even his elite skating can defend against it.  He needs to be better in his defensive positioning and reads.

3) Body language - he looks engaged in the offensive zone, but defensively he doesn't (or it appears he isn't).  Its weird because its like he is two different players, in the offensive zone, he is actively moving to find open ice, has his stick down, and looks like he is reading the play very well.  Which is why he is usually the one finding the puck on his stick more often than others. 

Defensively though, his stick isn't on the ice ready to intercept pucks in passing lanes, isn't moving his feet (where it often looks like he floating in the defensive zone).  I don't know maybe this is him conserving energy and reading the play instead of wasting a whole lot of energy for nothing, but you can do that but still look engaged and ready to react.  This one is minor, but certainly one that will drive the coach crazy.  We already could see some of that in Juolevi, often looks disinterested.

Im not expecting him to be a defensive wizard like Ryan Suter or Drew Doughty etc.  But he does need to be at least a competent defender.

Yeah his defensive game is pretty average as he rests too much on the fact that he’s simply a better skater and puck handler than everyone else. 

The thing about gap control, reading plays, and body language is once Quinn gets some experience playing against higher quality players, those element will come along naturally. He need to be put in a situation where he’s forced to grow and learn and not continue to rely on his bad habits. That’s why I’m more excited to watch his UofM games than his wjc games. I think college games offer more structure and a higher standard so he will have o develop the defensive side of his game if he wants to dominate there before coming to the NHL

i almost wish he was coming to the NHL this year because I know that Green would be willing to go through the steps to make sure he develops, whereas in Michigan they are probably more focused on winning (as they should be) than developing Hughes into an NHLer. 

Edited by The_Rocket
Added content
  • Upvote 1

I truly believe the team Jack wants to go to the most is the Canucks. It's now up to the Hockey Gods.

If ever there was a perfect time in their 48 year history to get their first ever 1st overall pick, it will be next year in Vancouver.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I truly believe the team Jack wants to go to the most is the Canucks. It's now up to the Hockey Gods.

If ever there was a perfect time in their 48 year history to get their first ever 1st overall pick, it will be next year in Vancouver.  

Virtanen - J. Hughes - Boeser

Dahlen - Horvat - Pettersson

Juolevi - Q. Hughes

Demko

He would most likely be the piece that pushes us over the top. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Virtanen - J. Hughes - Boeser

Dahlen - Horvat - Pettersson

Juolevi - Q. Hughes

Demko

He would most likely be the piece that pushes us over the top. 

That right there is an electrifying looking lineup. How many times we would hear "Quinn to Jack...he scores!" 

• Upvote 1

Quinn not playing in the AHL/NHL this year - a blessing in disguise?

Canucks could possibly finish at or near the bottom this season, but if they were able to call up Quinn late in the season he may get them a few more wins. These extra few wins late in the season could cause the Canucks to climb a few spots and miss out on Jack.

I know I am way ahead of myself here but for fun, assuming we don’t win the lottery this year but have a top 10 pick...

would you trade that top 10 pick plus the following year 1st plus the likes of a Gaudette/Lind/Dahlen/Woo or Joulevi for the 1st overall next year =HUGHES

or would that even do it?

30 minutes ago, Bandwagon38 said:

I know I am way ahead of myself here but for fun, assuming we don’t win the lottery this year but have a top 10 pick...

would you trade that top 10 pick plus the following year 1st plus the likes of a Gaudette/Lind/Dahlen/Woo or Joulevi for the 1st overall next year =HUGHES

Probably cost more than that...

29 minutes ago, Bandwagon38 said:

That would be fun.  I could see Aquaman being on board with it.  Assuming Jack lights it up this year.

33 minutes ago, Bandwagon38 said:

No.  Would be a waste of asets for a 3rd line center to play behind Pettersson and Horvat

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

More likely 2 games that will determine how many Hughes are on the canucks lol.

Is there a number of games Quinn (or any college player) needs to play at the end of a season to burn that full year off his ELC, or will just two games burn the year?