The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is there a number of games Quinn (or any college player) needs to play at the end of a season to burn that full year off his ELC, or will just two games burn the year?

I think in Quinn’s case, if he signed an NHL ELC at the end of the 2018-19 NHL season (or during the 2019 playoffs), his contract would be signed as a 19yo who turns 20 before the end of 2019, which would make him slide ineligible. 

So long story short, he’d probably burn the year, regardless of how many games he played.

EDIT: Pretty unlikely though because Michigan would either need to have an early end to their season, or the Canucks would need to make the playoffs. Otherwise, Michigan will probably be playing still when the Canucks finish 2018-19.

One option would be Utica on an AHL deal (ATO), assuming they’re still on a Calder run when Quinn finishes his college season. And then sign his ELC in the summer and effective 2019-20.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Quinn not playing in the AHL/NHL this year - a blessing in disguise?

Canucks could possibly finish at or near the bottom this season, but if they were able to call up Quinn late in the season he may get them a few more wins. These extra few wins late in the season could cause the Canucks to climb a few spots and miss out on Jack.

Elias Pettersson won't let that happen lol. He and Boeser are gonna be lighting up the lamp with Bo, Sven, and Goldie. I don't see us getting jack unless we win the lottery. (In the 9 seed)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 28/07/2018 at 2:05 PM, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

All good points...except #3...his brother has already signed up to play in the USHL rather that do a year of college....

....wow was I ever late to that party....

Oh great, Quinn Hughes has an even better path at becoming a Hobey Baker candidate/winner now. That's not a bad thing.

Don't hate him going back to college and if guys like Zach Werenski and Charlie MacAvoy have showed us anything... Going back to college for your D+1 season can only do a world of good.

Short term pain for long term gain!

• Cheers 1

Just now, Bandwagon38 said:

I know I am way ahead of myself here but for fun, assuming we don’t win the lottery this year but have a top 10 pick...

would you trade that top 10 pick plus the following year 1st plus the likes of a Gaudette/Lind/Dahlen/Woo or Joulevi for the 1st overall next year =HUGHES

or would that even do it?

How about this year's 1st, next year's 1st, and Brock. I absolutely wouldn't want to do trade Brock but something like that combo is what the 1stOA will cost you. Let's just hope we win the lottery and don't have to contemplate it. Jack and Quin would be a great brother combo to have. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Fan since 82 said:

How about this year's 1st, next year's 1st, and Brock. I absolutely wouldn't want to do trade Brock but something like that combo is what the 1stOA will cost you. Let's just hope we win the lottery and don't have to contemplate it. Jack and Quin would be a great brother combo to have. 

Ridiculous asking price. Brock at 21 whose stats and advanced metrics appears to already be well on his way to being a superstar alone is worth 1OA unless it's a year where a clear generational talent is getting drafted (Crosby, McDavid, Ovechkin, etc.).

Edited by Maketherightmove
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

Ridiculous asking price. Brock at 21 whose stats and advanced metrics appears to already be well on his way to being a superstar alone is worth 1OA unless it's a year where a clear generational talent is getting drafted (Crosby, McDavid, Ovechkin, etc.).

A team looking for a 1C takes a chance on Hughes over Boeser.  Scoring wingers are worth a less than 1C’s.  

4 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

A team looking for a 1C takes a chance on Hughes over Boeser.  Scoring wingers are worth a less than 1C’s.  

Yes, but Hughes hasn't proven he's a star or 1C at the NHL level yet and he isn't an absolute sure bet like the 1OA picks I mentioned. There are plent of highly touted early drafted centres that just never put it together at the NHL level. Boeser is as pretty close to a sure bet 40 goal scoring 21 year old stud with a fantastic attitude, he's worth a hell of a lot. At the very least you're not going to need to add 2 first round picks in a package with Boeser to get the 1OA next season. 

Edited by Maketherightmove
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

Yes, but Hughes hasn't proven he's a star or 1C at the NHL level yet and he isn't an absolute sure bet like the 1OA picks I mentioned. There are plent of highly touted early drafted centres that just never put it together at the NHL level. Boeser is as pretty close to a sure bet 40 goal scoring 21 year old stud with a fantastic attitude, he's worth a hell of a lot. At the very least you're not going to need to add 2 first round picks in a package with Boeser to get the 1OA next season. 

You can literally say that about every prospect.   What you’d have to add to Boeser to get a team who needs a 1C to give up Hughes is debatable. But you would have to add. Now if a team that’s set at C wins the lottery. That’s a different story

Just now, Maketherightmove said:

Ridiculous asking price. Brock at 21 who looks like he may be a potential superstar alone is worth 1OA unless it's a year where a clear generational talent is getting drafted (Crosby, McDavid, Ovechkin, etc.).

Not at all saying I would do this just spitballing what owner of 1stOA might ask for it. I personally don't know enough about Jack Hughes to know what he would actually be worth as a player. 

2 minutes ago, Fan since 82 said:

Not at all saying I would do this just spitballing what owner of 1stOA might ask for it. I personally don't know enough about Jack Hughes to know what he would actually be worth as a player. 

He looks to be very talented, but there's a year until the 2019 draft and who knows what can happen between now and then. He's not a certainty to even go 1OA. 

This team has no shot at the lottery. Elias is a top tier prospect (for those against calling him a generational prospect). He instantly makes the Canucks a better team and not to forget Boeser Horvat and maybe even Jake keep getting better. Fans cry all the time about getting business people to run hockey teams, Aquillini is a very smart business man and everyone saying you have to build through the draft is right, and to a degree the Canucks have really done that, It must ruffle the feather of other teams if the Canucks are actually ahead of the curve for their rebuild. As much as I love Trevor Linden he is just a hockey player and many hockey players struggle with management roles. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2