The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

He was something to see in last nights game. Will love watching how he transitions his game to the NHL. NHL checking forwards will be more disciplined than his past opposition. Consider, however, that Hughe's team mates will also be better. 

40 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Really? In their prime, their play was pretty damn exciting, I don't know what you were watching. They were never the quickest, but they always knew were each other were on the ice.

the unique thing about the sedins is you didn't have to watch their highlights at half speed

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Really? In their prime, their play was pretty damn exciting, I don't know what you were watching. They were never the quickest, but they always knew were each other were on the ice.

Brilliant, unique players absolutely.  Made some jaw dropping passes and were pioneers in some ways, they really brought the slap pass into the forefront in the league.

I never thought of them as terribly exciting players though.  Part of the reason I think they never really got as popular around the league as they should have been.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 4

21 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Brilliant, unique players absolutely.  Made some jaw dropping passes and were pioneers in some ways, they really brought the slap pass into the forefront in the league.

I never thought of them as terribly exciting players though.  Part of the reason I think they never really got as popular around the league as they should have been.

By the time the Canuck games were over, the lights in Toronto and New York were out.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I think part of the reason too is that fans place more emphasis on individual efforts such as dangling through one or two players to get to the net or crashing the net to create a scoring chance. The twins were wizards with the pass and go and created scoring chances out of thin air but rarely would you see a buildup of anticipation from one of those exciting dangles other players can do.

15 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Thanks, missed him looking over the roster.

Speaking of, while I was focused on the US team, the Hughes brothers were certainly the most noticeable, especially when playing together.  Wahlstrom and Farabee looked decent, but didn't really see much from Tkachuk that stood out.

Quinn is the man...

Wahlstrom and Tkachuk really didn't do much and neither did Boqvist...2 of Quinn's apples could have been scored by midget players....the setups were that good.

It's hard to imaging how good he might be in a years time...!

• Upvote 1

Other than Bure, I think Hughes and Pettersson may have more pure talent than any prospect we have ever had.  The play that Hughes made on the GWG is one that we have rarely ever seen by anyone in this organization at any level.  

• Upvote 3

I love that he knows he could play in the NHL this year, but has decided to develop into an even better player first, so when he does make the leap, he will better able to help the team win games. A lot of young guys aren't mature enough to know what's best for them, and get pissy when they're told they need to develop more (I'm looking at you Tryamkin). Then there's teams like EDM who want to rush the player. I'm so happy with this kid. He's impressive. And he speaks French? Who knows, maybe Elias will have Quinn zooming around Rogers Arena on a unicycle in no time lol

20 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Here she be:

And from ice level:

That is some serious strength and agility right there. The move he makes in the high slot to transfer his weight to his right skate and then to stay on that leg until he's past the goal line, while twisting his body the opposite way to get that pass across the slot is outstanding. I know he can get stronger, but I wouldn't want him to bulk up too much and sacrifice any of that agility.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BCNate said:

Other than Bure, I think Hughes and Pettersson may have more pure talent than any prospect we have ever had.  The play that Hughes made on the GWG is one that we have rarely ever seen by anyone in this organization at any level.  

And we have seen EP make a similar play where he scored in last year's WJC.  To have two of this quality prospects is kind of mind blowing.  

Edited by TGT68
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

That is some serious strength and agility right there. The move he makes in the high slot to transfer his weight to his right skate and then to stay on that leg until he's past the goal line, while twisting his body the opposite way to get that pass across the slot is outstanding. I know he can get stronger, but I wouldn't want him to bulk up too much and sacrifice any of that agility.

Great point, canuckledraggin. The idea that every single prospect has to beef up to make it in the NHL isn't applicable. Hughes' strengths come from how he has developed in totality, using his brain as much as his brawn.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

the sedins are the only athletes I've ever seen who routinely, every single game, made plays that all I could do was laugh about. it was like they were toying with the opposition. 

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i wanted dobson, but quinn looks like the better player, talent wise. in the past i wanted dubois, glass and dobson. jimbo did alright. 

Dobson is doing pretty good too. Canada's best player at this showcase tournament so far. Islanders got a steal. Hawks should have taken Dobson with their pick.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Doubt this is the last time you see a newsworthy item with Hughes and the word "Norris" both in it.    Kid will get some serious consideration now that it is a points derby and I don't know if this kid will be a machine in his own end but he WILL put up points - in bunches and for a long time.

He controls the play. Like a QB.  The puck will mostly be in the O zone when he's on the ice.  

Best defense is a great offense.  

He's so relaxed and in control out there. His D game will be fine. Going to college for another year is so important for this reason. 

This kid will change the way defense is played in hockey.. going to leave a huge mark on the game. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1