The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

7 hours ago, smithers joe said:

i wanted dobson, but quinn looks like the better player, talent wise. in the past i wanted dubois, glass and dobson. jimbo did alright. 

I am sure that PLD was JB’s guy and OJ was his second choice. No one expected CBJ to not take JP. 

I wanted Dobson and was very pro Bouchard. Bouchard needs to take yoga and work on his skating. Dobson is still a solid guy and I like his game. QH has a game I did not appreciate, but now I do. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

He controls the play. Like a QB.  The puck will mostly be in the O zone when he's on the ice.  

Best defense is a great offense.  

He's so relaxed and in control out there. His D game will be fine. Going to college for another year is so important for this reason. 

This kid will change the way defense is played in hockey.. going to leave a huge mark on the game. 

The Joe Montana of Hockey?  Or Doug Flutie. 

Edited by Eastcoast meets Westcoast

5 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

The Joe Montana of Hockey?  Or Doug Flutie. 

More like a Russel Wilson. He's small and he runs around all over the field, he hangs on to the ball and makes elusive plays. Hughes does same thing on the ice. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Quinn Hughes

best player in the tournament 

he destroyed Sweden 

where is Boqvist in this tournament ? F’in nowhere that’s where.

bouchard, Dobson ok

but hughes is on another level 

off to a better start than even EP was...

JB nailed this pick EP40 style 

and had PLD being there for the taking it would only go to show how strong JB is st drafting 

fingers crossed for OJ

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, smithers joe said:

i wanted dobson, but quinn looks like the better player, talent wise. in the past i wanted dubois, glass and dobson. jimbo did alright. 

Same here Joe, I'm now fully open to Quinn, obviously. Dubois is an amazing young C, jealous of CBJ. Many teams wanted him badly. Pettersson I have to admit was a surprise to me. Really happy I have no say in anything!

The pure glee we got out of Benning on draft day is going to stick with me for a while, great hockey man.

1 hour ago, Canucks Curse said:

Quinn Hughes

he destroyed Sweden 

bouchard, Dobson ok

and had PLD being there for the taking it would only go to show how strong JB is st drafting 

fingers crossed for OJ

I'm still not over the Jackets "reaching" for Dubois. 

But Juolevi will be a top-4 dman and we sure as hell need a few of those.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

Quinn Hughes

he destroyed Sweden 

bouchard, Dobson ok

fingers crossed for OJ

I agree with everything you said except this isn’t an “EP40” pick as you call it. The Pettersson pick was very controversial, as this pick is universally loved. I was greedy and wanted Hughes to go pro this season but I think they made the right decision. He can be the guy on the PP and work on his defensive game there. Plus getting in quality gym time. 

5 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

I agree with everything you said except this isn’t an “EP40” pick as you call it. The Pettersson pick was very controversial, as this pick is universally loved. I was greedy and wanted Hughes to go pro this season but I think they made the right decision. He can be the guy on the PP and work on his defensive game there. Plus getting in quality gym time. 

Good point

wgat I meant by EP40 is that in a redraft, the player we got goes higher 

11 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

Quinn Hughes

he destroyed Sweden 

bouchard, Dobson ok

fingers crossed for OJ

Agreed. I'm just pumped Chayka like Barret Hayton enough to nab him that early. I'm sure Detroit feels the same. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

I am sure that PLD was JB’s guy and OJ was his second choice. No one expected CBJ to not take JP. 

Hot take but not one I am inclined to disagree with one bit.  Definitely seemed like JB was (rightly) very high on PLD 

34 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Agreed. I'm just pumped Chayka like Barret Hayton enough to nab him that early. I'm sure Detroit feels the same. 

I gotta say I don’t think Chayka has his head on straight. Hayton is a solid pick, but why the heck wouldn’t he trade down if he wanted to take him over anyone else. Great for us and Detroit. I am not sure that Detroit even made the right choice.

Not often is a team able to get their pick and address a huge team need outside of the top three.  Looking at the talent that JB has amassed since taking over it almost looks like he planned it that way.  He already had Horvat and not much else. But Horvat is a clutch two way center and team leader. 

Big physical wingers. JV, Lind and Gads.

Shooters. Dahlen Goldy and Boeser.

All out supremely talented phenom in Pettersson. 

Center ice is still needing a another body or two but with Horvat Sutter Gaudette and Pettersson if he moves to the middle could be molded into a strong center ice group. 

Goalies of the future, Demko and Dipeitro have that covered. 

And now defence. Assuming that Trymakin comes back to NA, 

Hughes, OJ, Trymakin, Woo, Utunen, Rathboone. Brisebois and Brassard make up a decent prospect pool. Add in Stetcher and that’s a pool that will realize at least 5 NHLers. 

Fill in a few more spots with late rounders like Palmu and Jasek, that is our new core. Not bad for 4 years and starting only with Horvat. 

Edited by Eastcoast meets Westcoast
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

I gotta say I don’t think Chayka has his head on straight. Hayton is a solid pick, but why the heck wouldn’t he trade down if he wanted to take him over anyone else. Great for us and Detroit. I am not sure that Detroit even made the right choice.

I can’t remember who it was or where it was posted on here but somebody posted a video or a tweet that talked about Hayton being very high on other teams draft lists too. I think Vancouver was even one of the teams that had him going top 6-7. Trading down probably wasn’t an option if he was the guy they wanted. 

We'll draft another Hughes this coming summer.

The entire country will hate Vancouver as Hughes Boeser Hughes Demko dominates Team Canada for years and when they're not Petterson Dahlen will be doing the damage instead leaving Team Canada starter DiPietro looking like a modern day folk hero for stopping 72 shots in a game to win gold for the Canadian Olympic team against the US

Edited by Warhippy
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I can’t remember who it was or where it was posted on here but somebody posted a video or a tweet that talked about Hayton being very high on other teams draft lists too. I think Vancouver was even one of the teams that had him going top 6-7. Trading down probably wasn’t an option if he was the guy they wanted. 

Yes, I think that JB ( ? ) said that our top 7 pre draft were all gone after our pick. Arizona was probably aware of Hayton being highly rated. He did suddenly do an uptick on a few mock drafts just days before the actual draft.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

We'll draft another Hughes this coming summer.

The entire country will hate Vancouver as Hughes Boeser Hughes Demko dominates Team Canada for years and when they're not Petterson Dahlen will be doing the damage instead leaving Team Canada starter DiPietro looking like a modern day folk hero for stopping 72 shots in a game to win gold for the Canadian Olympic team against the US

Feeling optimistic today are we?

:gocan:

7 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

Well true EP 40 was off the board but truly a steal at the draft could turn out to be the best player in the draft. As could Quinn Hughes. I was going crazy because I have stated Buffalo Sabres - Rasmus Dahlin, D, Frolunda (SWE) will not be the best Defensman in the draft. It won't be long and teams will be wondering how Hughes was passes over by 6 teams. Rasmus will be a stud I have never thought he wouldn't but offensively Hughes is the best skater and best passer, SO Canucks have got some rough results at the draft lottery but received a rappid rebuild boost with Elias and another one the following year in Quinn. Quinn was playing against men at a very young age, And if he was more familiar with the league he wouldn't have struggled at first to get points. By Jan he turned it up and realized how good he was and was easily a point per game player. Had he been in Junior against his peers he would have been light s out point wise.

• Like 1