The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

45 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

We'll draft another Hughes this coming summer.

The entire country will hate Vancouver as Hughes Boeser Hughes Demko dominates Team Canada for years and when they're not Petterson Dahlen will be doing the damage instead leaving Team Canada starter DiPietro looking like a modern day folk hero for stopping 72 shots in a game to win gold for the Canadian Olympic team against the US

Perhaps some hilarious, fun loving media wag will call them the Hughes sisters ! We can all laugh and laugh and laugh. ( not )

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

I gotta say I don’t think Chayka has his head on straight. Hayton is a solid pick, but why the heck wouldn’t he trade down if he wanted to take him over anyone else. Great for us and Detroit. I am not sure that Detroit even made the right choice.

Not often is a team able to get their pick and address a huge team need outside of the top three.  Looking at the talent that JB has amassed since taking over it almost looks like he planned it that way.  He already had Horvat and not much else. But Horvat is a clutch two way center and team leader. 

Big physical wingers. JV, Lind and Gads.

Shooters. Dahlen Goldy and Boeser.

All out supremely talented phenom in Pettersson. 

Center ice is still needing a another body or two but with Horvat Sutter Gaudette and Pettersson if he moves to the middle could be molded into a strong center ice group. 

Goalies of the future, Demko and Dipeitro have that covered. 

And now defence. Assuming that Trymakin comes back to NA, 

Hughes, OJ, Trymakin, Woo, Utunen, Rathboone. Brisebois and Brassard make up a decent prospect pool. Add in Stetcher and that’s a pool that will realize at least 5 NHLers. 

Fill in a few more spots with late rounders like Palmu and Jasek, that is our new core. Not bad for 4 years and starting only with Horvat. 

I think there were multiple teams that valued Hayton more than the armchair scouts like ourselves. His numbers don't blow you off the page, but he was playing on a stacked Greyhounds team. A lot of people who saw him in person loved his game. 

And Goldobin is a playmaker.

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I think there were multiple teams that valued Hayton more than the armchair scouts like ourselves. His numbers don't blow you off the page, but he was playing on a stacked Greyhounds team. A lot of people who saw him in person loved his game. 

I know that Arizona gets a lot of flack for drafting Hayton where they did but I do believe he will be a very good player for them down the road. His numbers don't particularly stand out but he is a late birthday and I would think that next year he would probably put up 80-90 points. Would I have drafted him at 5? Probably not, he would've been closer to #10 in my rankings.

1 minute ago, smithers joe said:

he was on the ice for at least 3 usa goals.

You gotta take that too. Some games he will make you rip out your hair but the moments he takes charge and carries the team on his back will outnumber the former.

7 hours ago, cory40 said:

Well true EP 40 was off the board but truly a steal at the draft could turn out to be the best player in the draft. As could Quinn Hughes. I was going crazy because I have stated Buffalo Sabres - Rasmus Dahlin, D, Frolunda (SWE) will not be the best Defensman in the draft. It won't be long and teams will be wondering how Hughes was passes over by 6 teams. Rasmus will be a stud I have never thought he wouldn't but offensively Hughes is the best skater and best passer, SO Canucks have got some rough results at the draft lottery but received a rappid rebuild boost with Elias and another one the following year in Quinn. Quinn was playing against men at a very young age, And if he was more familiar with the league he wouldn't have struggled at first to get points. By Jan he turned it up and realized how good he was and was easily a point per game player. Had he been in Junior against his peers he would have been light s out point wise.

I'm also in the camp that Dahlin will not live up to the amount of hype heaped on him.  Although playing along side Mittlestadt, Reinhardt, Skinner, Eichel, Rsitolainen will not harm his numbers at all

People keep comparing him to Lidstrom and Karlsson, but those are going to be two of the top 10 defensemen of all time when everything is said and done.  I really do feel now as I did 4 months ago that while I dearly wanted Dahlin on our team that he might not be the best defenseman of the draft.  Would be nice if it was Hughes for sure

• Upvote 1

With Hughes 1 G and 5 A and 6 points in 4 games that leads his team in scoring while playing in one fewer game than most of his teammates. Jack Hughes with 1 goal 2 assists in 5 games. Brady Tkachuk with only 2 assists in 4 games played. Also leads the team with 24 penalty minutes, 3 min more than B. Tkachuk with 21 min. 

12 minutes ago, richado said:

Love how he steamrolls that defensemen as well.

Also, Hughes and Woo both got 10 min misconducts after the game had ended haha.

Right?

For those who worry about size (myself included), nhl success seems to have more to do with drive.

Four examples proving that.

Gaunce

Shinkaruk 

Ellis 

Cowen 

2 small players who engage physically vs two larger players who do not. Who's  going to be more successful?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, richado said:

Love how he steamrolls that defensemen as well.

Also, Hughes and Woo both got 10 min misconducts after the game had ended haha.

Damn. Looks like Hughes is confident in his game from the physical side. Imagine how physical he'll play if he's paired with Gudbranson at some point. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Ok, Goldy is a play maker. I am not hayton Haytons game at all. Just not at five. Hecht draft Zadina and trade for a two way guy. That’s my take. 

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

I'm also in the camp that Dahlin will not live up to the amount of hype heaped on him.  Although playing along side Mittlestadt, Reinhardt, Skinner, Eichel, Rsitolainen will not harm his numbers at all

People keep comparing him to Lidstrom and Karlsson, but those are going to be two of the top 10 defensemen of all time when everything is said and done.  I really do feel now as I did 4 months ago that while I dearly wanted Dahlin on our team that he might not be the best defenseman of the draft.  Would be nice if it was Hughes for sure

IDK. Dahlin has a complete game and that is what sets him apart from others. Hughes may have more exciting game but Dahlin is a an stud. Hughes will also be a stud. 

Pretty sure JB would have taken Dahlin over Hughes too. 

Edited by Eastcoast meets Westcoast