1 minute ago, Ray_Cathode said:

No, they did not, but they did break Edmonton’s run, I believe, in 1986.  Calgary lost to Montreal in the final.  Calgary was beat to hell from playing Edmonton to get out of Alberta.  Reinhart had 18 points in 21 playoff games that year, but that really didn’t speak to how valuable he was to Calgary’s run.  In my opinion, he was their best player, on a team whose greatest challenge was that they were in the same division as the Oilers.

I remember when Coffey was traded. many felt that Calgary would have a chance against Edmonton because they never had an answer to Coffey. I agree Reinhart was awesome though.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Yeah, we got the last bit of him, and I remember I think it was in the final game of the year where he took it over in the last couple minutes and was all over the ice, nearly winning it single-handedly.  Guys that skate like that can control the game because nobody can catch or keep up with them.

For sure, if we can get that out of Hughes, he’ll get butts out of seats like nobody since Bure.

• Upvote 2

More

Benning just can’t help himself. Having said that Canucks have the future Chara, Lidstrom and Leetch on the backend.

He is one year away tops. He could play this year, but it would be good for him to go back to the NCAA and play in the world juniors.

• Upvote 1

I’m still so happy Hughes fell to us.  I felt the Habs would take Koko, but I had no idea Arizona would take Hayton.  Even with that, I still thought Detroit would take Hughes.  This is a great night fir Canuck’s hockey.  We have our elite #1 Dman.  Remember he’s only 18.  He’s going to be super special at 22.  Bring on a Canuck’s Cup dynasty!

• Upvote 2

Just now, Alflives said:

I’m still so happy Hughes fell to us.  I felt the Habs would take Koko, but I had no idea Arizona would take Hayton.  Even with that, I still thought Detroit would take Hughes.  This is a great night fir Canuck’s hockey.  We have our elite #1 Dman.  Remember he’s only 18.  He’s going to be super special at 22.  Bring on a Canuck’s Cup dynasty!

Yeah, he's the next best thing to Boqvist, eh?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

This exactly -- Hughes is the "new era" defenceman to a T.  Dobson and others will be good, but this kid is going to make a real difference, and be a huge boost to the offense and the way the Canucks want to play the game.

Could you imagine if he plays like a Leetch? The reason other than refereeing the Canucks don't have a cup yet.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Just re-watched the pick. I can't remember Benning ever being as elated as he was during that interview after with Friedman. That's promising to me. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

What’s the over/under on Hughes making the NHL before Juolevi?

How 'bout we just hope for both of them to make it this season?

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, cory40 said:

I remember when Coffey was traded. many felt that Calgary would have a chance against Edmonton because they never had an answer to Coffey. I agree Reinhart was awesome though.

Coffey was on that team in 1986.

• Upvote 1

Just now, higgyfan said:

Yeah, he's the next best thing to Boqvist, eh?

I really liked Boqvist as a boom or bust player.  I never believed Hughes would fall to 7.  I’m surprised Boqvist went next.  Hughes will be the more complete player.  

Hughes Quotes from scouts: Friend sent me this from a scouting book

“I had him ranked pretty much in the same spot all season, his talents are on display every night but the final 4-6 weeks of his season he was the best player in college hockey and is wasn’t even close. The last few weeks really sealed the deal for me, having said that there will be an adjustment period for him into pro hockey, he will need to reign in some of his decisions around the blue lines.” HP Scout, Dusten Braaksma"

“He’s a smaller version of Subban as for as his offensive game goes but he’s got a ways to go defensively.” - NHL Scout, November 2017

“He’s pretty much a disaster defensively but here’s the thing…he always has the puck when he’s on the ice so.…” NHL Scout, December 2017

“The creativity is really impressive. To say he plays with confidence is an understatement.” NHL Scout, December 2017

“I saw hm recently and it seemed like if he was on the ice he had the puck.” NHL Scout, December 2017

“We won’t be taking him, not a fit for us.” - NHL Scout, January 2018

“A few Bode Wilde type needless turnovers that bug me but the kid has ridiculous talent.” - NHL Scout, April 2018

“One of my fave players to watch over the past few years, I liked watching him in AAA with the Marlies and with the USNTDP as well. Last season was the first time I saw him have a subpar game, just too many high risk plays and poor decisions. He had a few of those this year as well but his good is high end stuff. He’s so creative and the vision is unreal…he mixes in the use of the way he skates with those edges to get so much production out of his talent. I don’t think he’s ever seen a patch of open ice he didn’t exploit. I love that he uses so much ice in the offensive zone to create offence. He’ll jump into a play seemingly out of nowhere and either score, or at minimum create a great scoring chance. His play in his own end can be a big adventure but I think as he matures it will improve.” - HP Scout, Mark Edwards”

“I knew the kid wasn’t going to blow the doors off in his testing. I just wanted to see him compete.” NHL Scout, June 2018

“Had several scouts tell me they were not thrilled about him declining to test at the combine. I respect that everyone has their own opinions and it’s the players personal decision on whether or not to test, but my personal thought is just go out there and do your best, it’s all about willingness to compete. Regardless, he’s a talented player and testing or not testing isn’t going to make or break his season.” - HP Scout, Mark Edwards

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I've been on this forum almost 12 years now and usually when the forum is excited about a pick (immediately after the pick) the player doesn't pan out (mostly because the armchair scouts and GMs on here have by in large been idiots)

That being said in those 12 years Benning is by far the best drafting GM we've had so in Benning I trust. I hope Hughes pans out to be a superstar for us!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Nooks said:

jv18-race.gif

If Hughes can skate faster than Jake, he’s going to be the fastest player in the league.  Holy crap Jake is fast!  

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I really liked Boqvist as a boom or bust player.  I never believed Hughes would fall to 7.  I’m surprised Boqvist went next.  Hughes will be the more complete player.  

I'll have to wait and see about that.  The age difference is quite substantial.  He will develop well in Chi, I think.