The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

13 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Right?

For those who worry about size (myself included), nhl success seems to have more to do with drive.

Four examples proving that.

Gaunce

Shinkaruk 

Ellis 

Cowen 

2 small players who engage physically vs two larger players who do not. Who's  going to be more successful?

Are you saying that Shinkaruk has been successful?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Canuck Drogo said:

Just finished watching the game (it’s so awesome to have this level of hockey in the middle of summer). 

Quinn was unbelievably entertaining to watch! He completely steals the show every shift. 

I can’t wait to eventually watch the magic that he and Pettersson are going to conjure up!

Quinn has been the best player on the ice in each game he has played. By far.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, tas said:

it was heavily implied when benning was asked if there were other players he had ranked higher. 

If JB did that it would clearly have been a mistake.  It’s obvious to everyone now, as it was to many before, that Quinn Hughes is the best player in his draft class.  It’s not even close.  I’m still shocked Detroit took that winger.  What’s his name?  Already forgotten.  

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, tas said:

it was heavily implied when benning was asked if there were other players he had ranked higher. 

Or could it maybe be that Benning didn't show his hand?

If Quinn had been taken before he came to us, he might have gone with Hayden, but seeing the film from draft day, they looked absolutely delighted with getting Hughes...

I find it hard to believe that they would look that happy, if Hayden was the player they were after?

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, tas said:

I vaguely remember what you’re talking about but what I took it to mean was that the two players were rated closely. I believe the canucks separate forwards and defenseman and work off of at least two ranking lists. So if they were really high on hayton, at max, they would have had him ranked #2 on the forwards list (I don’t think anyone would dispute svechnikov was the best forward). I believe it’s safe to assume that Quinn was also ranked 2 on the defenseman list. Given that team need gives the edge to drafting a defenseman and the fact that top pair defensemen are harder to acquire, I don’t see how the canucks would have taken hayton over Hughes if they were both available. 

I do believe they would have taken hayton over zadina if it played out that way, however. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If JB did that it would clearly have been a mistake.  It’s obvious to everyone now, as it was to many before, that Quinn Hughes is the best player in his draft class.  It’s not even close.  I’m still shocked Detroit took that winger.  What’s his name?  Already forgotten.  

DET head coach Blashill was team USA headcoach at world's and Hughes also played college in their back yard.. 

Blashill said Hughes gets away with a lot which he won't be able to at the NHL level.   Clearly they were concerned with Qs defensive game.  

Good thing.  A dynamic game changing player like this doesn't come along often. He can be great but only IF given the freedom and flexibility to play his style..  over coaching may ruin his career. 

Glad he's back at college for a year to get stronger and work on his defensive game.. he needs at least one more year of development in college then maybe half a season in Utica. 

I would not rush him at all..  it's very difficult for a dman to make the jump to NHL at 18 or 19 years old.  Let him ripen and develop properly..  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I agree with you about Quinn but its too early to say who is the best.. In 2-3 years we will see. The 2018 draft had some very good players in the top 15... #1 Dahlin , #2 Svechnikov , #4 Tkachuk, #6 Zadina , # 7 Quinn,  #10 Bouchard, #11 Wahlstrom ..

I am very happy Quinn is a canuck but I really think Dahlin, Svechnikov and Zadina will be elite players for many years also.

Edited by wildcam
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, gobi said:

I wouldn't be disappointed if JB somehow was able to draft Dahlin instead of Quinn.

My point is this...……...For right now 99 % would not have been disappointed if we drafted Dahlin. My point is this in a year or two we will look back and be very thankful how the draft turned out, you look Its like looking back and saying the Oilers Yak was the best pick of the draft in his draft year, He has that title until he plays a couple years annd then you look back at how many have out performed him. SO using forsight I am saying Quinn will be the better pick and losing the draft lottery allowed us to get him. Same thing with Elias Petterson, we lost the draft lottery but its starting to look like the hockey God's are favoring the Canucks. And for short sighted fans that could mean that the best player may not have been top 3. And that happens a lot in the draft just look back at the drafts in the last 20 years. So yeh you are and would be happy with Dahlin for now, And if Dahlin turns out to be the best player in the draft you would be right as well as 99% of the other fans. I am in the 1% that see Quinn as being a better offensive d-man and I am betting if you could trade Hughes for Dhalin straight up in 3 or 4 years you laugh and walk away. 

15 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Ok, Goldy is a play maker. I am not hayton Haytons game at all. Just not at five. Hecht draft Zadina and trade for a two way guy. That’s my take. 

IDK. Dahlin has a complete game and that is what sets him apart from others. Hughes may have more exciting game but Dahlin is a an stud. Hughes will also be a stud. 

Pretty sure JB would have taken Dahlin over Hughes too. 

All we are saying is in a couple years if Dhalin was offered for Hughes you would walk away, And that is why it is sometimes a blessing to not pick first over all....cough cough Yakapov…. We got Pettersson last year and how does that look, If he turns out to be the best player in the draft you could say Canucks fortunes have changed. BTW a players value is usually way higher when at the draft then when he has played a year or two.

If Hughes really was "NHL ready" this year, it would be an incredible achievement.  Compare this to a really good defenceman in the league who's about the same size - Ryan Ellis.  Ellis put up really good numbers for Canada in the WJC at both the U18 and U20 level.  He was a dominant offensive d-man in Junior.  Still it took him three years post draft to even play half an NHL season and five years to become full time.  With a January birthday, Ellis had an advantage in WJC qualification years so don't try to compare those to each other straight off.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that patience is going to be a virtue here (and with pretty much every prospect).  Ellis was a terrific young undersized defenceman and it took several years to break in to the NHL.  If it only takes Hughes until next year it's a huge win.

3 hours ago, tas said:

Are you talking about the quote where he was asked if there were other players that fell outside of 1 and 2 if the decision would've been harder? If so Benning said that he had one maybe two guys he would've ranked higher. Not sure if that is Hayton but my guess was it would've been Tkachuk and Kotkaniemi. I suppose there's a chance but to say it was heavily implied is reaching. My guess as to how his draft rankings would've fallen would be

1. Dahlin

2. Svechnikov

3. Tkachuk/Kotkaniemi

4.Tkachuk/Kotkaniemi

5. Hughes

6. Zadina

7. Hayton? 

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, cory40 said:

My point is this...……...For right now 99 % would not have been disappointed if we drafted Dahlin. My point is this in a year or two we will look back and be very thankful how the draft turned out, you look Its like looking back and saying the Oilers Yak was the best pick of the draft in his draft year, He has that title until he plays a couple years annd then you look back at how many have out performed him. SO using forsight I am saying Quinn will be the better pick and losing the draft lottery allowed us to get him. Same thing with Elias Petterson, we lost the draft lottery but its starting to look like the hockey God's are favoring the Canucks. And for short sighted fans that could mean that the best player may not have been top 3. And that happens a lot in the draft just look back at the drafts in the last 20 years. So yeh you are and would be happy with Dahlin for now, And if Dahlin turns out to be the best player in the draft you would be right as well as 99% of the other fans. I am in the 1% that see Quinn as being a better offensive d-man and I am betting if you could trade Hughes for Dhalin straight up in 3 or 4 years you laugh and walk away

Yeah...I doubt it. But like you said, we shall see.

8 minutes ago, TGokou said:

Are you talking about the quote where he was asked if there were other players that fell outside of 1 and 2 if the decision would've been harder? If so Benning said that he had one maybe two guys he would've ranked higher. Not sure if that is Hayton but my guess was it would've been Tkachuk and Kotkaniemi. I suppose there's a chance but to say it was heavily implied is reaching. My guess as to how his draft rankings would've fallen would be

1. Dahlin

2. Svechnikov

3. Tkachuk/Kotkaniemi

4.Tkachuk/Kotkaniemi

5. Hughes

6. Zadina

7. Hayton? 

yeah, he said one ... two other guys (correcting himself) and then seemlessly segued into talking about how hard it is to trade for centers so you have to draft them yourself. therefore, kotkaniemi and hayton. 

9 minutes ago, TGokou said:

1. Dahlin

2. Svechnikov

3. Tkachuk/Kotkaniemi

4.Tkachuk/Kotkaniemi

5. Hughes

6. Zadina

7. Hayton? 

Well written and well reasoned.

There are 3 guys I'd take ahead of Hughes as it stands right now, at the time of draft I'd have Boqvist/Dobson right there with Hughes, other than the top 2 guys I would only really take Kotkaniemi ahead of Hughes. Hughes, like Boeser, I have learned a lot about post draft and I gotta say I really like him. He sounds like a good kid. He understands patience with his career. Good character. A lot like Boeser. Benning and the scouting staff really are fantastic so far.

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

There are 3 guys I'd take ahead of Hughes as it stands right now, at the time of draft I'd have Boqvist/Dobson right there with Hughes, other than the top 2 guys I would only really take Kotkaniemi ahead of Hughes. Hughes, like Boeser, I have learned a lot about post draft and I gotta say I really like him. He sounds like a good kid. He understands patience with his career. Good character. A lot like Boeser. Benning and the scouting staff really are fantastic so far.

I'm guessing JB would of taken Hughes with the third overall if that's where we picked. JB was giggling like a school girl when he interviewed after drafting Q Hughes. I dont blame him. 

• Upvote 1