The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Paul Coffey re-imaged ??

With all of the ridiculous Orr comparisons and even Leech the one I have often deferred to is Coffey!  With Hughes on the ice the RW will know to remain high on the wall to cover Hughes position.  Just like Coffey, green light him on any rush he feels is there!  What was the Oilers formation called with Coffey?  Left-wing lock.  It had a name.

Teams knew it was coming and still couldn’t defend it just like Hughes, just try and stop him. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bandwagon38 said:

With all of the ridiculous Orr comparisons and even Leech the one I have often deferred to is Coffey!  With Hughes on the ice the RW will know to remain high on the wall to cover Hughes position.  Just like Coffey, green light him on any rush he feels is there!  What was the Oilers formation called with Coffey?  Left-wing lock.  It had a name.

Teams knew it was coming and still couldn’t defend it just like Hughes, just try and stop him. 

Left wing lock was that stupid defence in the 90's that Bowman made the Red wings play.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Bandwagon38 said:

I just pray that the coaching staff know what we have in Quinn and don’t try and change his attack first instincts!  Help him improve his defensive play but please always have the “green light” on!

Benning stated in an interview on sportnet that they did not draft him to be a defensive d man. I heard him say it . I'm sure he will be asked to develope every area of his game , which he should , but he will always have the "green light". I have zero worries about that personally. 

Also , Orr and coffee were not jesus incarnate . It is possible to compare their skill sets to current stars . Will he be as dominant? No. That's because the game has caught up with itself in terms of skill. There arnt these huge gaps anymore . That's why Hughes could very well end up as good , but not be as dominant.  Just my take on that ;)

Edited by cuporbust
  • Upvote 2

My new favourite quote (from the Sporting News):

“He’s going to be that type of player that young kids try to emulate — that they want to be, that they strive to be — but it’s going to be very difficult to duplicate what he does,” Wroblewski said. “With this guy, he’s another generational-type talent, and he’ll be an influence on defensemen for years to come. I truly believe that.”

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

14 hours ago, TGokou said:

TBH if Hughes turns out like Ellis I would be pretty disappointed. His max point total in a season is 38 points. For a player that had the gaudy point totals in junior I would've thought he'd do a better job translating that into NHL numbers, especially in the new NHL.

I think the disappointing thing about Ellis is how long it took him to hit his prime.  He put up 32 points in 44 games last year, which is on pace for crazy numbers for a defence man.  I look at Ellis as a floor for Hughes as an NHL player.

Dahlin is the whole package while Hughes is an offensive weapon that needs the perfect complimentary partner.  Dahlin will be very selective when to push the play while Quinn looks for it almost every rush.  Q needs a solid stay at home d-man with him. (Tanev, Edler or Tram). Quinn’s ultimate success will be in his pairing while Dahlin is complete.

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

My new favourite quote (from the Sporting News):

“He’s going to be that type of player that young kids try to emulate — that they want to be, that they strive to be — but it’s going to be very difficult to duplicate what he does,” Wroblewski said. “With this guy, he’s another generational-type talent, and he’ll be an influence on defensemen for years to come. I truly believe that.”

Generational gets tossed around too much. By definition it means that 1 player every 40 years would be generational. I doubt Quin Hughes is generational but if he turned out that way...even better for the Canucks.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Bandwagon38 said:

Dahlin is the whole package while Hughes is an offensive weapon that needs the perfect complimentary partner.  Dahlin will be very selective when to push the play while Quinn looks for it almost every rush.  Q needs a solid stay at home d-man with him. (Tanev, Edler or Tram). Quinn’s ultimate success will be in his pairing while Dahlin is complete.

...you seem to have fallen off the bandwagon....

Quinn  may never deliver hits like Dahlin...but I would not count him out of bettering Dahlin's point totals ....But...more to the point Quinn will better Dahlin in a thing called 

"Will to win"....In the Playoffs "Will to win"...win's out over talent every time.

It is not a foregone conclusion that Dahlin will have a better career than Hughes...I think Quinn will behind Dahlin for 2-3 years at most and then the sky is the limit...!

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Generational gets tossed around too much. By definition it means that 1 player every 40 years would be generational. I doubt Quin Hughes is generational but if he turned out that way...even better for the Canucks.

Or maybe it's a hockey generation?  In that case, it'd be more like 20 years.

26 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Or maybe it's a hockey generation?  In that case, it'd be more like 20 years.

Yeah...fair enough. Even then though there would only be 1 player every 20 years. They would be rare. But the media and fans throw the term around alot. A helluva lot more than 1 guy for every 20 years.

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Don't agree with you at all.   Dahlin seems to have a very defensively responsible approach and I don't see him taking anywhere near the same chances that Quinn takes.   Quinn is the ultimate risk-reward player and Dahlin is basically all reward.   Dahlin is who you structure a team around - Quinn is who you structure "Highlights of the Night" around.

I am not sure Hughes will ever be great defensively and thus will always be a bit of an adventure but he will bring fans out of their seats more in a year than Dahlin likely does in his career.   Dahlin will be a far better "D"man and more valuable to his team - Hughes may be more valuable to his owner.

Well my point is Dahlin has the skills offensively (stick handling, vision, speed, etc) as Hughes and if you added the rest of my post, he also has the complete package (shot, size, defensive play, etc). I agree that Hughes will play with much more risk to his game simply because the best he can offer is that offense, but I think if Dahlin is driven to make that offensive rush, he can do pretty much whatever Hughes can do as well.

45 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

...you seem to have fallen off the bandwagon....

Quinn  may never deliver hits like Dahlin...but I would not count him out of bettering Dahlin's point totals ....But...more to the point Quinn will better Dahlin in a thing called 

"Will to win"....In the Playoffs "Will to win"...win's out over talent every time.

It is not a foregone conclusion that Dahlin will have a better career than Hughes...I think Quinn will behind Dahlin for 2-3 years at most and then the sky is the limit...!

Let's say Hughes is a ppg guy. Let's say Dahlin is a 70 point guy. So sure Hughes can generate a bit more offense, but Dahlin in the meantime also provides solid defense playing in all situations and can probably log 30 mins in a game. Will to win? Hughes has it, but so does Dahlin in spades and he will handle the playoffs when the physicality and intensity rises.

Hughes may have an incredible career and anything is possible, but it's hard for me to see at this point that he will have the better career compared to Dahlin.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Don't agree with you at all.   Dahlin seems to have a very defensively responsible approach and I don't see him taking anywhere near the same chances that Quinn takes.   Quinn is the ultimate risk-reward player and Dahlin is basically all reward.   Dahlin is who you structure a team around - Quinn is who you structure "Highlights of the Night" around.

I am not sure Hughes will ever be great defensively and thus will always be a bit of an adventure but he will bring fans out of their seats more in a year than Dahlin likely does in his career.   Dahlin will be a far better "D"man and more valuable to his team - Hughes may be more valuable to his owner.

Hmmm?

Dahlin has some pretty sic dangles himself...

I also am not so sure Hughes is pure risk. He may not have his shot? But QH approaches Patrick Kane, defence version, in agility & puck on a string, take it where I want handling of the play. He does seem to read the play, and have the skills to push it. Its risk taking if you are going to get stripped of the puck, or often in no mans land to try & make lower % scoring plays.

Minus the shot, again, that also separated him from Boqvist? Who I liked. 

Clearly, Hughes wont have Dahlins ability to handle guys in coners, win battles. Defensively or otherwise. He does not seem a bad defender though. A second item that distanced himself from Boqvist. And there is the argument about getting to the puck clean, and getting it out of your zone with possession with these speedsters?

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I'm not a big comparison guy but Hughes to me is an Erik Karlsson type where Dahlin is more a Drew Doughty type.  Would you agree?