The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Ok. I will try again. Did you have to register an account first?

nope...sometimes when these links dont work for me i switch to internet explorer from chrome and vice versa...

10 minutes ago, Darius said:

nope...sometimes when these links dont work for me i switch to internet explorer from chrome and vice versa...

Yeah it's not working on chrome right now but I think safari/IE should work

Hughes won't play too much this game since it's just an exhibition

Edited by Grape

13 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Lockwood has been really good in these first two games. It's amazing how much ice he covers. You blink and he's crossed the neutral zone. Blink again and he's gone from net front presence to covering the point while Hughes is moving in deep. Blink again and Lockwood is first man back defending his zone. He's just everywhere. His offensive contributions have clearly been impressive, but what's really caught my eye is his defensive play. He provides so much support to his Dmen. Whenever the Ds are under pressure, Lockwood is suddenly right there giving them support and options. Whenever a Dman is caught up ice, Lockwood is back covering for him. He just seems to always get the the spots he's needed. This is clearly due to his skating ability and how he plays the whole game at one speed: fast. He's just skating miles, always moving, and never slowing his pace. I imagine he'd be a joy to watch live, since on video, you really don't get to see everything he does. He just suddenly appears on screen and it's almost jarring because the last second you saw him, he was on the other side of the rink, but he somehow closes space in record time, and just appears from out of frame, making plays all over the ice, both offensively and defensively. You can also tell that Lockwood and Hughes have some good chemistry and are really in sync. They're both all over the offensive zone on the PP and attacking at evens, but despite their wandering, rarely does the team lose formation. Lockwood and Hughes seem to almost mirror each other, doing some sort of intricate dance together in the offensive zone. Really fun to watch, especially since they're both such great skaters and are always moving so damn fast.

Where was Lockwood during the last minute of the game?

49 minutes ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

Are these regular season games or just preseason?

This one was exhibition. Last night’s game was the season opener (regular season)

Edited by Grape
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Thanks for posting the video.  Lockwood and Hughes are both amazing skaters, but they sure faced a hot (and lucky) goalie tonight.  You can sure see where Benning is going with the team when you consider the skating of Pettersson, Virtanen, Juolevi, Gaudette, Motte, Rathbone, Dahlen, Lockwood and Hughes.

• Upvote 1

Did they win the Sunday game ?

Thought was a very under whelming performance by Hughes on Saturday.

For those who watched.....anyone else have trouble seeing how that type of game translate to the NHL ?

I'm sure he can adjust, but looked very light on skates and always out of position....just using his superior skating to cover up.

On 08/10/2018 at 6:47 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Lockwood has been really good in these first two games. It's amazing how much ice he covers. You blink and he's crossed the neutral zone. Blink again and he's gone from net front presence to covering the point while Hughes is moving in deep. Blink again and Lockwood is first man back defending his zone. He's just everywhere. His offensive contributions have clearly been impressive, but what's really caught my eye is his defensive play. He provides so much support to his Dmen. Whenever the Ds are under pressure, Lockwood is suddenly right there giving them support and options. Whenever a Dman is caught up ice, Lockwood is back covering for him. He just seems to always get the the spots he's needed. This is clearly due to his skating ability and how he plays the whole game at one speed: fast. He's just skating miles, always moving, and never slowing his pace. I imagine he'd be a joy to watch live, since on video, you really don't get to see everything he does. He just suddenly appears on screen and it's almost jarring because the last second you saw him, he was on the other side of the rink, but he somehow closes space in record time, and just appears from out of frame, making plays all over the ice, both offensively and defensively. You can also tell that Lockwood and Hughes have some good chemistry and are really in sync. They're both all over the offensive zone on the PP and attacking at evens, but despite their wandering, rarely does the team lose formation. Lockwood and Hughes seem to almost mirror each other, doing some sort of intricate dance together in the offensive zone. Really fun to watch, especially since they're both such great skaters and are always moving so damn fast.

Like watching Hank and Danny. :)

14 hours ago, martybyrd said:

Did they win the Sunday game ?

Thought was a very under whelming performance by Hughes on Saturday.

For those who watched.....anyone else have trouble seeing how that type of game translate to the NHL ?

I'm sure he can adjust, but looked very light on skates and always out of position....just using his superior skating to cover up.

Yup, they won on Sunday.

I mean it could swing one way or the other so easily. If some of the chances were converted he could have a few goals and a few assists and then no one would be saying that. Same goes the other way around, if he had a good game statistically it could be that he was few lucky bounces away from people criticizing him. 

You could totally take into account his overall play and say it wasn't perfect as I mentioned specifically defensively and positionally, but just based on the overwhelming number of chances he generated I wouldn't say his play was underwhelming either.

More specifically regarding his positioning though, I don't think he's bad positionally by nature, I think he chooses to bite and play more offensively and disregard defense more often than not as a "rover," but it'll have to be tamed a little in the NHL.

I wouldn't say he's light on skates as I believe he actually has really good balance, but he can be pushed easily, and that may or may not be a problem depending on how well it's covered by his other elite skills.

Edited by Grape

On 10/3/2018 at 8:29 AM, messier's_elbow said:

Can’t wait to watch this guy at WJC. We need this guy badly. Our D handles the puck like a live geanade.

You Romanian?   Geana de is "light" in Romanian.

You think Canuck's D handles the puck like "light"?   Is that good?

• Haha 2

I still think Hughes should have gone to the AHL.   

Try to get him out of this ‘rover’ style of play he likes to do and start getting more structure in his game.   

Obviously the skill levels arent aren’t even close to the same level, but the Subban rover crap didn’t work in the  A for him, and it won’t work for Hughes either.  

Definitely not in the NHL.   

I feel like the college route is letting him do a little more what he wants to do instead of focusing on much needed positional and structure attention. 

Having said all that, college is better for working out and building the body, so it’s kinda a crap shoot.