The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, Canorth said:

F'n hilarious... first response from these D bags  was "Risk of losing him in 4 years... cause college"...

Ffs.......

It's an honest statement though from a GM perspective.  I would have liked to hear Burke talk about the good stuff of Hughes but his comments were not inaccurate (small, risk with college).  Benning has a history of not panicking and playing it right with the US college players which no doubt is helpful.

Just now, NHL97OneTimer said:

It's an honest statement though from a GM perspective.  I would have liked to hear Burke talk about the good stuff of Hughes but his comments were not inaccurate (small, risk with college).  Benning has a history of not panicking and playing it right with the US college players which no doubt is helpful.

Like he did with Boesser and Gaudette.

4 minutes ago, cory40 said:

He is already at the weight many said EP would need to get too to play here.

He's also already stronger and has better body positioning than Petterson. Our D sucks, if he wants to play in the NHL this season he will. I think it's fine either way. A year with Tanev while he's still around would be great for Hughes, but so would playing with his brother and world juniors.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Canorth said:

F'n hilarious... first response from these D bags  was "Risk of losing him in 4 years... cause college"...

Ffs.......

If I recall my charts, most 7th overall picks play in year 2 after their draft.  One year in junior, college or Europe? And in at roughly $1.5 mill.  In Hughes case, I propose signing him at the tail of next year.

Which burns an ELC year & makes him eligible to re-sign in the summer of 2021. For an average $4 mill a season with $3 to $5 mill already in the bank!

Or...………….

He could play college till that same summer of 2021.  

The odds of him blowing off nearly $10 mill of earning power is both low, and stupid! 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Canorth said:

Ffs.......

I know. WTF. They didn't say a peep when the Sens picked Tkachuk (Boston College) 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, gerry35 said:

Brian Burke............shows why Calgary has made so many questionable moves in recent years. 

REALLLLLLY upset he gets to watch his Flames sit through the first 3 rounds of the draft for Travis Freakin' Hamonic.  Islanders selecting Wahlstrom/Dobson adding more salt in the wound.

2 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Really??? He sure doesn't look 190. 

He put on a lot of muscle last off season. It seemed to me that he lost a step and it took most of the season for him to get on track. Thought Stecher was great the last couple months. 

After watching the kid fit in at the worlds earlier this year on the American team he reminded me of Phil Housely.  Its the effortless skating I think.   Phil was also five foot 10 but played in an era when you could hook, clutch and grab way more than they do now.  Smooth skating, smart, great passer and put up 1200 points in his career in an era when it was a little rougher out there.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2