The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

14 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

For Canadian kids that want to play NCAA hockey the AJHL and BCHL are the two most chosen paths.  If they play in the CHL they are not eligible for NCAA hockey.  

thats a very good point. Explains why you get some gems coming up that route, not all the talent is going to choose the CHL. 

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The AJHL is not nearly as good as the BCJHL, and the BCJHL is no where close to Major Junior.  These points are not arguable.

You are right about that. The BCHL sends more kids to the NCAA than any other provincial junior league. And while the BCHL isn't on par with Major Junior, its very best players would also be very, very good in Major Junior. So why don't they opt for the Dub? As soon as a player plays a single game in Major Junior, he loses US college eligibility. Even an exhibition game. Years ago some teams used to get around this by listing players with a different name so they could play in exhibition games. The NCAA scouts caught on and blew the whistle. I don't think Major Junior teams try that anymore, but who knows?

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The AJHL is not nearly as good as the BCJHL, and the BCJHL is no where close to Major Junior.  These points are not arguable.

I would agree that the BCHL has generally been slightly better than the AJHL but to suggest that the AJHL is not nearly as good as the BCHL is very arguable.

It might interest you to know that the Brooks Bandits, Makar's former team, is the #1 ranked team in the CJHL for all of Canada while the Bonnyville Pontiacs are ranked 9th. The highest rated BCHL team is the Chilliwack Chiefs and they are ranked 14th.

CALGARY, Alta. – Rolling right along, the Brooks Bandits (AJHL) have won 13 consecutive games and remain No. 1 once again in the latest version of the Canadian Junior Hockey League’s Top 20 weekly rankings.

After a season-opening setback, the 2019 Canadian national Jr. A championship-hosts from Brooks have not tasted defeat since then.

Another surging side, in the Brockville Braves (CCHL) have also won 13 straight and boast an impressive .933 winning percentage to go with their 14-1 record.

The 8-0-1 Thunder Bay North Stars (SIJHL) also hold firm at No. 3 as do the No. 4, the 13-1-1-1 Oakville Blades (OJHL)

Making to jump to No. 5 this week is the Hawkesbury Hawks (CCHL) who have had an impressive start to their campaign going 13-2-1 overall and 7-0-1 in their past eight outings.

The weekly listings are compiled by an independent scouting service which uses a variety of factors to determine the rankings.

CJHL Top 20 (As of Oct. 22)
RANK TEAM (LEAGUE) (LAST WEEK)
1. Brooks Bandits (AJHL) (1)
2. Brockville Braves (CCHL) (2)
3. Thunder Bay North Stars (SIJHL) (3)
4. Oakville Blades (OJHL) (4)
5. Hawkesbury Hawks (CCHL) (9)
6. North York Rangers (OJHL) (10)
7. Kirkland Lake Gold Miners (NOJHL) (5)
8. Cobras de Terrebonne (LHJAAAQ) (HM)
9. Bonnyville Pontiacs (AJHL) (11)
10. Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL) (7)
11. Yarmouth Jr. ‘A’ Mariners (MHL) (17)
12. Portage Terriers (MJHL) (8)
13. Inouk de Granby (LHJAAAQ) (18)
14. Chilliwack Chiefs (BCHL) (15)
15. Cobourg Cougars (OJHL) (NR)
16. Carleton Place Canadians (CCHL) (16)
17. Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) (14)
18. Titan de Princeville (LHJAAAQ) (6)
19. Kindersley Klippers (SJHL) (20)
20. Swan Valley Stampeders (MJHL) (HM)

HONOURABLE MENTION: Coquitlam Express (BCHL); Drumheller Dragons (AJHL); Humboldt Broncos (SJHL); Aurora Tigers (OJHL); Summerside Western Capitals (MHL)

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

You are right about that. The BCHL sends more kids to the NCAA than any other provincial junior league. And while the BCHL isn't on par with Major Junior, its very best players would also be very, very good in Major Junior. So why don't they opt for the Dub? As soon as a player plays a single game in Major Junior, he loses US college eligibility. Even an exhibition game. Years ago some teams used to get around this by listing players with a different name so they could play in exhibition games. The NCAA scouts caught on and blew the whistle. I don't think Major Junior teams try that anymore, but who knows?

The BCHL is  changing with the advent of the USHL, which is gaining strength, where US kids can now play a good level of hockey, while attending a education system in their own  country, closer to home, and still qualify as an NCAA prospect but also the BCHL unlike the CHL can draw from all over North America. CHL is confined to regional players. Penticton has 8 US player ( only 7 BC players plus 6 from out of Province)  of which only one would qualify for the Dub. In addition NCAA teams are scouting EU junior leagues. So the consensus of just a few years ago is no longer what it once was. I will say this of all the Junior A Provincial leagues BC is ranked likely the best. But in all honesty from a average roster few players ever pass from Junior to Pro. Some years ago I read that 1% of BC kids ever make it to Pro … Pro … any league in any country, that may have chnaged but I doubt radically. I understand the CHL has chnaged to some degree but there were some horror stories came out of the league from abuse to drunkenness. BCHL also had some horror stories. The number of kids away from home that give up on their education and get into drugs is just as you might imagine. To  have your child go into junior hockey at any level is a tough call especially if they're simply good rather than exceptional. There's a lot, a lot of cannon fodder out there. I recall the Spruce Kings going through 47 players in one season, that's a lot of kids chnaging school and screwing up their education. Deffinetley a buyer beware situation.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Vanuckles said:

I'm convinced you never sleep and nothing you say or do will persuade me otherwise!

I always appreciate your reports on here, imo you're the most knowledgeable poster on these boards and I hold your opinion on players in high regard. Cheers!

:lol: Well then I won't try to persuade you that I actually do sleep!

Thanks for the kind words. Not sure I deserve that kind of praise. My hockey knowledge remains a work in progress and I'm sure there are several oldtimers on here who know more about the game than I could ever hope to learn. But I do enjoy keeping track of our prospects and sharing whatever I find out. :) 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

:lol: Well then I won't try to persuade you that I actually do sleep!

Thanks for the kind words. Not sure I deserve that kind of praise. My hockey knowledge remains a work in progress and I'm sure there are several oldtimers on here who know more about the game than I could ever hope to learn. But I do enjoy keeping track of our prospects and sharing whatever I find out. :) 

Cheers, we all thank you for it. I was looking at a Utica package when I was out on the east coast, but now that I moved back to the west, it's mostly strictly canucks hockey for me.

• Upvote 1

So I would love to end the Makar vs Hughes debate here and now. Both are great players in their respective leagues. I prefer Hughes, but I am a homer so who cares. 

Makar has had a better shot but I absolutely love the buzz Hughes creates every time he touches the puck. 

Super happy that we have EP40 and Hughes vs Makar and one of the forwards available when Hughes was picked.  

We have a great player and the other wasn’t even available when we picked. 

Edited by Phat Fingers
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

So I would love to end the Makar vs Hughes debate here and now. Both are great players in their respective leagues. I prefer Hughes, but I am a homer so who cares. 

Makar has had a better shot but I absolutely love the buzz Hughes creates every time he touches the puck. 

Super happy that we have EP40 and Hughes vs Makar and one of the forwards available when Hughes was picked.  

We have a great player and the other wasn’t even available when we picked. 

I mean, people had no problem comparing Hughes to Makar when Hughes put up better rookie NCAA numbers than him.

Comparing how two players are doing isn't a bad thing as long as you don't go overboard. Context should be taken into account (quality of teammates and competition, strength of division, minutes, deployment, etc.) and there will never be 2 identical cases, but it's just making predictions based on past/current cases. You can never know everything and get it right 100% of the time, but there is value in it. 

Hughes is off to a pretty good start and Makar is off to an insane start, that's it. Overall I'd still take Hughes too. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, NHL'er said:

Makar is one year older and thus Hughes is further ahead at the same age. / end stupid comparison. 

I dunno if its "stupid" but maybe interesting in that Benning was high on taking Makar.

The question is, how would CDC have felt if Colorado took Pettersson and we got Makar instead? (don't worry, I know the answer)

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I dunno if its "stupid" but maybe interesting in that Benning was high on taking Makar.

The question is, how would CDC have felt if Colorado took Pettersson and we got Makar instead? (don't worry, I know the answer)

I think that I would be on a boatload of antidepressants.  

EP40 is a talent that I have never seen in a Canucks uniform at this age or ever. 

Makar may be an amazing NHL defender. But I take Elias over him everyday.  

Lets say say that we had Makar, then opted for a forward this last draft.  So would you prefer Makar and say Wahlstrom vs Hughes and Pettersson?  

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

I think that I would be on a boatload of antidepressants.  

EP40 is a talent that I have never seen in a Canucks uniform at this age or ever. 

Makar may be an amazing NHL defender. But I take Elias over him everyday.  

Lets say say that we had Makar, then opted for a forward this last draft.  So would you prefer Makar and say Wahlstrom vs Hughes and Pettersson?  

nope not for a moment.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

too much makar chatter in here I think lol so this article was especially nice 

I hope the Makar talk wasn't my doing. I mentioned him in a post a few pages back, just because Makar had gotten off to a hot start and some people on Twitter were making comparisons to Hughes and his comparatively slow start. I was mostly making the point that Hughes's numbers were actually quite good for a D+1 sophomore defenseman, and that his underlyings and eye test also suggested he was likely to score even more (which he did subsequent to that post).

The Makar comparison is only interesting because Hughes and Makar are similar sized and play a similar role. And they were drafted and ranked in similar spots in their respective classes. But as others have noted, Makar has a year on Hughes, and it's also very early into the season, and there are also questions about the quality of competition in the team's they've faced to date, and also the quality of teammates, in terms of how their squads have played so far, so we shouldn't make too much of their head to head scoring production. It's inevitable that these two players will be compared, possibly throughout their careers, but Makar's 2018-19 NCAA points per game definitely shouldn't be the measuring stick for Hughes's development and success.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

Cool read thanks for sharing

too much makar chatter in here I think lol so this article was especially nice 

'Adapt or die!' I love it. QH sounds like an extremely driven young man. Hopefully he helps drive us to a Stanley Cup championship!!!

• Like 1

Pair of games at Lake Superior State for Quinn "Q" Hughes, Will "Skill" Lockwood, and the rest of the Michigan Wolverines. Games are on flohockey.tv (paid service).

Free audio only via https://mgoblue.com/watch/?Live=241

Live stats http://www.lssulakers.com/sports/m-hockey/2018-19/boxscores/20181102_j363.xml

If I find a free stream somewhere, I'll update this.

Tonight's game starts 7:37 ET (4:37pm in Vancouver).

• Upvote 2

On 2018-11-01 at 2:04 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I hope the Makar talk wasn't my doing. I mentioned him in a post a few pages back, just because Makar had gotten off to a hot start and some people on Twitter were making comparisons to Hughes and his comparatively slow start. I was mostly making the point that Hughes's numbers were actually quite good for a D+1 sophomore defenseman, and that his underlyings and eye test also suggested he was likely to score even more (which he did subsequent to that post).

The Makar comparison is only interesting because Hughes and Makar are similar sized and play a similar role. And they were drafted and ranked in similar spots in their respective classes. But as others have noted, Makar has a year on Hughes, and it's also very early into the season, and there are also questions about the quality of competition in the team's they've faced to date, and also the quality of teammates, in terms of how their squads have played so far, so we shouldn't make too much of their head to head scoring production. It's inevitable that these two players will be compared, possibly throughout their careers, but Makar's 2018-19 NCAA points per game definitely shouldn't be the measuring stick for Hughes's development and success.

Sid,

In the defence of the CDC, it doesn’t take much for things to go off the rails.  It is like a bad game of telephone. 

I would be hesitant to ever place solitary blame on structured collective madness so I think you are blameless for where ever the collective thought train goes. 

• Haha 1